PONO Player vs. SONY Walkman NWZ-A15/17

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Anton888, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Well, I'm not terribly upset. DSD is not essential to me, but it would have been nice to add it to the A17 via the HA-2. If I were Oppo, though, I'd be careful about dispensing erroneous information; the next customer might not be so forgiving.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

From what I understand, the model numbers Sony uses aren't random. I remember reading a long time ago that they break down as follows (the following are what I remember, combined with more recent knowledge):
    • NWZ - Indicates that it's a player for the United States (players for Japan start with NW)
    • The first letter (A, B, E, S, X) after the dash indicates the general classification of the player, with "E" being the lowest and "A" being the highest (although I don't think that applies now).
    • The letter and the next numbers indicates the general model family (example, the NWZ-A17 is part of the "A10" family as is the NWZ-A15).
    • The last number indicates the capacity of the player. Due to the increasing capacities I don't think the numbers are in order by capacity because of the increases in capacity (I think my players have the following capacities: NWZ-A816 - 4GB, NWZ-A818 - 8GB, NWZ-E465 - 16GB, NWZ-X1051 - 16GB, and NWZ-A17 - 64GB).
    I agree that Sony needs to do a better job of giving their players a better common name (what people actually call the player, rather than just the model number), a more catchy name that people will remember. As an example, previous Walkman DAPs looked a little like and were shaped like dominoes, so why not call them a Walkman Domino? While I like the last digit being an indication of the capacity of the player, Sony should simplify it in the future by making it a factor of 2 (a "1" indicates a capacity of 2GB, "2" indicates 4GB, "3" indicates 8GB, and so on).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.