Music collectors: Has Ebay lost its attraction?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Henrik Jutbring, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Nah, it's just like any big record store. You have to sort through the crap to find the gold.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

And some people fill their watch list.:)

Henrik Jutbring likes this.
  3. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yeah its a bit of a secret - not now I suppose :) And yes SP is from UK plates as well - and the earliest ones had the widespine sleeve too.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

To be fair I've had very few problems selling records, the one time I listed a large number of CDs was a different story, I think I had more item not received claims for that one batch than the previous three years of records combined, funnily enough they were almost all from Central/Eastern Europe, I don't think I'd ever list CDs on ebay again unless they were expensive enough to justify signed for postage, cheap enough I didn't care or UK only sales.

5. They've definitely driven away a portion of music sellers that made eBay a much more diverse marketplace for music fans. That garage sale feeling is completely gone, replaced by a much more predictable but blander experience.

I certainly spend less time hunting down rare and obscure music items on eBay these days. Those have all been wiped away and moved on to other sites.

Dubmart and Henrik Jutbring like this.
  6. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident Thread Starter

The points you raised is exactly what I tied to address when starting the thread. So, which are those other sites that you're referring to? Gemm, Discogs, Cdandlp?

EDIT: To me it seems as some of the trading has moved from Ebay to be more personal. Sellers/buyers meet at Ebay and if there is an overlapping interest the following of the business is done aside. Perhaps an explanation to why we experience that the number of rare/obscure things has decreased?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When I first started on eBay buyers and sellers could easily contact each other and there was genuine interaction, I'm still friends with people who I met through buying and selling on ebay, nothing to do with buying and selling, but because we share common interests in music, the days when you could communicate with people and gain friends are long gone, eBay did it's best to prevent direct communications scared they may be losing out on their percentage and that is yet another loss to the site, the lack of personal interaction, yeah the Chinese sellers and big brands wouldn't want to talk to their customers, but I really enjoyed it at times, I miss it and being prevented from communicating with buyers and sellers is another reason I no longer use the site.

8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I contact many sellers.;)

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Maybe, but it's not like the old days when you could strike up conversations with people, now you have to go through eBay's hoops and they do monitor your messages.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Ah, I see, or I think I do. There are ways around most things.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Indeed there are Dave, but it makes it less spontaneous and takes away any fun, I think the guy who started eBay started it as a site for PEZ? collectors to buy, sell and importantly to interact, that whole ethos was lost when it became purely about commerce and the bottom line.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Sadly, I think discogs has gone the same way.

13. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

I buy a lot more on Amazon marketplace that on eBay.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. eBay's paranoia about buyers and sellers communicating definitely hurt the atmosphere of music selling on their site. They've also made it increasingly tougher to buy legitimate bootleg material on the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.