Jimi Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Band ROCKING and GROOVING throughout the set. Good to hear Billy Cox playing the bass. Looking forward to hearing this through the home speakers!

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Mitch Mitchell's drums benefits the most from the new mix. The original recording isn't very good and somewhat un-balanced, as the overhead mic failed to capture some of Mitch's cymbals (like the ride cymbal he uses on Spanish Castle Magic), but it has nuances, punch and dynamics that were lacking on the Stages version. Also, it's nice to hear some distortion on Bill Cox' bass.

The new version also makes me wonder why on Earth did Douglas decided to change the running order?

But then...and this is no big deal at all, but is there some canned audience on the new version too? Especially during the introduction. Very low in the mix, but anyway.

jhm likes this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Wish I could chime in...my local didn't get it in, so it's the big wait for me :sigh:.

joeislive and dee like this.
  4. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

I wonder if target has it...

5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Mine either, and people wonder why everyone gets their music online.

JeffMo likes this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I hear you. There are very few things I get impatient to have but unfortunately Jimi releases are one of them :realmad:. I'd be more sympathetic (and I WILL wait to get it from them) but one of the main guys there wasn't even aware the release existed! They sell a lot of vinyl at this place so at the very least, I know they'd probably sell a few copies of the LP set if nothing else.

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Isn't LARS included in the Winterland box??

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I had to work through lunch, which meant I couldn't get to Newbury Comics. So I stopped at Target near
    my house, figuring they would have it, right???

Nope!

9. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

The full album is on Spotify if you want a sneak peak.

My copy is not suppose to arrive until Monday.

jhm likes this.
  10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

my 2lp will be here mon/tues gonna wait to listen, I have stages for now :p

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yes it is. What everyone is talking about is that they released a CD single of "Like A Rolling Stone" that included a Winterland version of "Spanish Castle Magic" that was not included on the box set. It's a good version, too.

mark renard, JeffMo and Galley like this.
  12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Ah--ha.

Damn it.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is arguably the best version.

WPLJ and jhm like this.
  14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Same situation with my store, had no idea of its existence. And it's a well stocked store too, vinyl and cd's, so maybe the label has to take some blame for not getting the word out to the retailers. I try to support the b&m stores when I can, but I have an Amazon prime account, free 2 day shipping, they have everything in stock and usually cheaper. So when I go to an actual store and they don't have the new product on release day, am I really supposed to feel bad when I order online instead of supporting the indies?

bluesbro likes this.
  15. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Mine is scheduled to arrive Sept 3.5 from Amazon. Its killing me to wait a week!

Its been a long time since I purchased a CD through a retail outlet. Few weeks back I tried picking up "Presence". Went to Walmart, Target and Best Buy. I discovered the CD departments are non existent now a days. B&N is the only one with a decent sized dept and they didn't even have it. Maybe some sold out in all fairness. If they did, they probably didn't have many on hand anyway. The local used CD and LP store had a copy, but it was over $20. Eventually I placed the order with Amazon as usual.

bluesbro likes this.
  16. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Wow this new mix sounds so much better. Can't wait to hear the whole release.

17. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

What's this you say? It must be quite something...

I'm looking forward to hearing this. I enjoyed Miami Pop much more than I thought I would...imperfect Jimi is still damned good, and a professional mix is (almost) always a huge improvement.

18. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Did you see Grand Funk?

19. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I like that interference with the radio, they took that off the new release of Isle of White.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

?? It was also on an my old cassette of the Polydor 70's release.

mooseman likes this.
  21. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

No, wait...Machine Gun? No...it was somewhere else...

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have the import polydor vinly. I love the raw mix. I don't like what the Hendrix family did with the new one.

23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That radio interverance is on Midnight Lightning original pressing. They took it off on the new release.

JeffMo and #OneOccupation like this.
  24. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I was thinking Foxy Lady but it's been years.

25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Polydor original "Isle Of Wight" is a nice, but quite hissy remix by Carlos Olms - Mitch is far further forward (and that's to my liking). Eddie Kramer mixed it also (you can hear his original version of the mixes on God Save The Queen and Sgt Pepper's on "Hendrix In The West" sounding different from the "Isle Of Wight" mix. The "Blue Wild Angel" mix sounds similar to the "In The West" mix, and is a little murky for my liking.
    The radio interference is during Foxey Lady.

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.