Your Favorite Song of These 25 Somewhat Less Generic Choices

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BluesOvertookMe, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I chose Highway Star, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Stargazer, Don't Do Me Like That and Metal.

This is an interesting poll. Choosing songs with no relation to one another. I love it.

Gaslight and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks!

3. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Has to be Hey Bulldog, which I 'discovered' on the cassette I got of Rock And Roll Music Volume Two, when I was about 12 or 13 - in the early 80s; such a fun track.

4 others that I love/like an awful lot are... (in no particular order) The Temptations – I Wish It Would Rain, BBM – City of Gold (great album I stumbled upon this year!), Deep Purple – Highway Star, Howlin Wolf – Killing Floor. I could have chosen a good few more, if the poll allowed so it hurt having to remove some off the list I just made. :sigh: :winkgrin:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I went with Bruce, Baker, Moore, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Deep Purple, and Masters of Reality.

5. BluesOvertookMe

It's one of my favorite albums ever!

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Hey Bulldog is a fairly weak track. It seems to me that many people here have just voted for their favourite group, regardless of the song choice.

7. BluesOvertookMe

I think very few people listened to the songs they weren't familiar with. I suppose I should have included Stairway after all. :help:

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Some songs, records and performances I love in there:

Love Elvis' intensity on the vocal of "Long Black Limousine," give him a kind of rags to riches to well, death, small town morality tale and some funky backing and he could really deliver the goods, especially in that era, my favorite Elvis era;

love "Across 110th Street," used to sing it to myself every day when I stepped out of my apartment when I lived on 110th St.;

love "Steppin' Razor" and "I Wish It Would Rain";

I'm amazed by "Hold On" and Britney Howard -- it's really hard to write that simply and directly and not make it sound corny and dumb but she pulls it of through the sheer intensity of conviction in her performance;

but I think "Dignity" is one of the most amazing songs ever written by one of the most amazing songwriters.

9. BluesOvertookMe

Thanks for your comments! Agree with much of what you said, especially about Elvis at that point of his career .

I also think Dignity is really great.

10. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Went for Bulldog, Temps, Under Pressure, Hold On and 1999

11. BluesOvertookMe

The last two posters voted for Hold On, but it only has 12 votes! It's rallying right now!

12. BluesOvertookMe

How I do wonder: if the Beatles song wasn't there would Under Pressure win? 1999? Highway Star? The Temptations?

13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Hey Bulldog is a weak track. I am sure those voting for it are doing so because it's The Beatles, rather than weighing up whether it's any good or not.

strummer101 likes this.
  14. irong

irong Forum Resident

"Hey Bulldog" is awesome! It's impossibly catchy and bouncy. It's always been a favourite of mine, my dad, my wife, my kids, well, everyone I know who enjoy the Beatles. I even have a home-made Blue 67-70 compilation with "Hey Bulldog" on it (This way I don't have to listen to the Yellow Submarine soundtrack)

I wonder in what kind of state of mind I was when I voted "Not Alone Anymore" 6 months ago on this survey. Coincidentally, today I voted for my favorite Wilbury's song and now I realize I voted for "Not Alone Anymore" as well. At least I'm consistent on some things.

15. BluesOvertookMe

I like Hey Bulldog, but not as much as half of the other songs on the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.