Octopus by Gentle Giant - the Steven Wilson Treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Will there be a tour to support the remix?

Harvest Your Thoughts likes this.
  2. Ouch! Those are strong tracks, but knots and a cry for everyone are the 2 I most look forward to in 5.1.

My crazy wish: add the side 2 tracks from the Missing Piece in 5.1 as bonus material.

3. old school

old school Senior Member

Knots Lyrics
    All in all each man in all men
    All men in each man
    He can see she can't, she can see
    She can
    See whatever, whatever
    You may know what I don't know
    But not that
    I don't know it and I can't tell you
    So you will

To tell me all man in all men
    All men in each man
    He can see she can't, she can see
    She can
    See whatever, whatever
    You may know what I don't know
    But not that
    I don't know it and I can't tell you
    So you will have to tell me all

It hurts him to think that she is
    Hurting her by him being hurt to think
    That she thinks he is hurt by making her
    Feel guilty at hurting him by her thinking
    She wants him to want her. Her wants
    Her to
    Want him to get him to want him to get
    Him to want her she pretends

He tries to make her afraid by not
    Being afraid. (permutations)

You may know what I don't know, but not
    That I don't know it and I can't
    Tell you so you will have to tell
    Me all

I get what I deserve. I deserve what I
    Get. I have it so I deserve it. I deserve
    It for I have it. I get what I deserve
    What I deserve - what I deserve what
    I get
    I have it so I deserve

He tries to make her afraid by not
    Being afraid

Songwriters
    RAY SHULMAN, PHILIP ARTHUR SHULMAN, KERRY CHURCHILL MINNEAR, DEREK VICTOR SHULMAN

ParloFax, FVDnz and dennis the menace like this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

3rd worst. I like it actually.

5. Splendid. I'm in too!

6. Link for pre-order in the U.S., please?

7. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Its even more ironic as that is the album that is most in need of a remix because of its strange bass-less sound.
    And its my favourite GG Album.
    As all other albums sound perfect to me and I don't have any Blue-Ray drives I will pass this.
    I hope they don't go that Blue-Ray route with the remaining Tull-Boxes.

8. old school

old school Senior Member

Correct, The Missing Piece is where Gentle Giant moved to a more commercial sound. There next two albums after The Missing Piece were not progressive and very commercial! So 3rd worst right on the money brimuchmuze.

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

With blu-ray players being as cheap as they are I just don't understand why people still haven't upgraded.

ti-triodes and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

An audiophile Blu-ray player isn't cheap or converter.

11. New format upgrade burnout? I picked up a cheap one, but held off for years as the benefits of blu-Ray over DVDs meant little to me (still do) as I have been perfectly happy with audio and visual resolution available on DVDs. Also I can rip dvd content direct to my computer which I cant do easily with my blu-Ray player. And finally I assumed blu-Ray was a temporary format that could be skipped over in favor of the next big thing (digital streaming presumably). That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Well, I don't live on an audiophile budget. That stuff isn't even a consideration for me.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My stereo rack has no room for another component!

Already have a SACD player, DVD-A player, creek amp, and turntable filling the space. That should be good enough!

14. Dok

Dok Senior Member

This is disappointing. Seems like these songs will 'stand out' when compared to the other remixed stereo tracks. Any speculations Plan9 of how the multis for these went missing? Were all avenues exhausted?! ;)
    Still looking forward to the flat transfer!

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't think the un-remixed tracks will stand out too much as we took great care to match the original mix, but obviously they will be a little less clear and dynamic and will have a little hiss.

The release was reported to give more time to find the tapes. If we knew how the multis went missing we would be a little closer to finding them, but unfortunately... However things do turn up from time to time. Labels are constantly re-organising their archives in these days of reissues and mergers and buy-outs (which may be a part of the problem, come to think of it).

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Still waiting for the day when Wilson receives control of everything related to In Absentia and Deadwing. And holding out hope for a remix of IA even though the Tonefloat vinyl sounds sublime. And at least the DVD-A sounds great with Deadwing too as opposed to the compressed CD, but all those unreleased tracks accompanying IA - bring it on I say! The thought of them both in 5.1 on Bluray is still something I'm anticipating should that day ever come.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Starwanderer, dougb222 and DLeet like this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

When I talked with Steven about it, he said the albums were "stuck" with RoadRunner or something to that effect, holding out little hope for remixed reissues...

makedatmusic and FVDnz like this.
  18. I'm also a big fan of tMP. Even side 1 has a couple of great songs on it (commercial or not). So I would love a remix. I'd bet this album is garnering little by little more love from the Giant heads. And the excellent work of Steve Wilson would give it a serious push too...

...Oh and another boost would be the inclusion as extra track of any decent recording of the completely re-written live version of "Winning", from the US/Canada spring tour of 1977!

mx20 likes this.
  19. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Great news about his release, tempered by the missing multitracks - the lack of the first two tracks is particularly hard to bear. It's odd how the 3 missing tracks are the ones that feature in the live medley...

Will the three tracks for which the multis could not be found have upmixes?????

20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I am happy to see Octopus done, although I was hoping for In A Glass House (the version I currently own is an old victim of typical GG mastering errors). I guess lack of multi's may rule that out for the forseeable future.

dennis the menace likes this.
  21. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I'd rather have them remix Civilian. Missing Piece just doesn't have any merit to me... safe for one song maybe.
    this really amazes me. Why would RoadRunner make them stuck? People will buy these two. With gusto. They wouldn't lose money.

Thanks for the info on GG multis. Now I understand why it's been such a long time since Power and no other release. Fingers crossed that more will be found.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm in regardless, of course, but are they really not going to include the live Excerpts medley bonus track from the previous edition? I was kind of hoping I could toss that out once I upgraded.

23. Ozhawk

Ozhawk Forum Resident

I bought the Power and the Glory Blu-ray on the strength of Steven Wilson (I had never heard any Gentle Giant before) and I wasn't disappointed. A lovely rich recording, interesting sounds and lyrics. Nice visuals as well on the Blu-ray. I will definitely get this one.

Vinyl Fan 1973, FVDnz and Galeans like this.
  24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I was exactly in the same boat. Although I did listen to a couple tracks off the ProgArchives many years ago, never did I get around to delving any further into their material. But of course, that all changed the moment I decided to pick up The Power and The Glory - and I too wasn't disappointed. Be looking forward to Three Friends and Acquiring the Taste, should they ever locate all the multi-track tapes going into the foreseeable future, but maybe In a Glass House oughta be next on the list.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  25. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

From what I understand, Roadrunner is a subsidiary of Warner Music thus owning the Lava recordings as a whole. Apparently, WB isn't interested in reissuing IA and DW which sucks really. And I do agree, there would be a lot of money to be made here - they will certainly sell especially with lavish boxsets in mind. I won't hold my breath but I will keep my fingers crossed. A shame too given that it's been 10 years since Deadwing. Also curious too whether the tracklists are as Wilson originally intended what with the bonus material, EP's (Futile will likely be included too) etc. Take Collapse from the Futile EP download (not the CD) which was originally intended to open IA for instance... and I do wonder whether Revenant is intended to open Deadwing.

Anyway, this is another topic for another thread... :)

Starwanderer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.