Lessons on Playing Live from Wilco

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jalexander, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think a lot of bands could take some tips from Wilco on how to play live. Whatever you think of their music past or present, consider the following:

1) They played their new album in its entirety the day after it came out to open a concert, told the audience they were doing so, and then followed it up with a run of fan favourites. Everybody wins. ‎

2) They know their entire back catalogue and play it. Yes, there are songs that show up in nearly every concert, but they also throw in real obscurities on a regular basis... deep album tracks from twenty years ago... songs that were part of acrimonious splits with past members... a bside that everyone knows is terrible (including the band, but they tell the audience in advance and everyone has a laugh and the one person who loves that song feels like the luckiest person in the world).

3) They have amazing musicianship. That means not only can they play every song in their back catalogue, but they can play it well.

4) They keep things fresh. Some examples from the last few years include: acoustic sets, acoustic encores, a set of covers picked in advance by the audience, multi-night residencies with no song repeats... oh yeah, and their own festival where they invite all of their friends to play.

5) Collaborations with opening acts. Most bands clearly care nothing about the band's they tour with. Not so with Wilco.

6) Encourage a taping culture. Wilco have always supported fan taping and trading and now sell many of their own soundboard recordings for about $10. This fosters a culture of fans getting passionate about all of the above points. ‎

Apply these principles to most artists whose live shows are disappointing and you'd likely see the complaints go away. ‎

2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Well said. I've seen them thrice. Two of those three were among the best shows i've ever seen.

linclink likes this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Yup. They are top tier for sure. Polished, well organized. Tweedy got it down.

linclink likes this.
  4. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

So true! My favorite band still creating original new music.

Mike Dow, linclink and audiotom like this.
  5. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

One of my favorite live bands for the reasons you state. They always deliver and are never boring. I've seen them 12 times now and look forward to the next one whenever it may occur.

Tweedy's pretty damn funny sometimes too!

Mike Dow, linclink, Rockinrob and 2 others like this.
  6. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Could have named this thread "Lessons On Playing Live From Pearl Jam"

7. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

...or Gov't Mule.

Oh, look! My first post. :)

Fullbug, RandyB1961, mdm08033 and 2 others like this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

7) little chit chat as Jeff says - when it is, it's spontaneous humor - not a rehearsed line

8) they genuinely have fun

9) the 5 song double encores

linclink and jeffsab like this.
  9. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Yep. Right on for each point.

See also: Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket.

mdm08033 likes this.
  10. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I've never seen Wilco, but I'm not surprised. As much as I like their music I will have to find a concert of theirs to attend.

linclink likes this.
  11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I want them to play their cover of Pavement's "Cut Your Hair" when I see them in Ann Arbor next month. So Tweedy, if you're reading this, that is my request. :)

Fullbug and linclink like this.
  12. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Which are these? Do you just mean the YHF stuff for the former?

They've never played anything like 'My Darling' in recent years, or have they?

linclink likes this.
  13. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

linclink and Colin Allstations like this.
  14. jalexander

linclink and Colin Allstations like this.
  15. Colin Allstations

pardon my latter-day ignorance, what is Jay's version of Kamera? Pretty amazing they played My Darling, which Tweedy contributed something like three words towards?

16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Like I wrote in the all-purpose Wilco thread recently, I am a recent and complete convert -- somehow I missed what Tweedy and company had going on, but I have been obsessed with rectifying that oversight in recent weeks. The live album and Roadcase releases have been on almost endless loops here. Turns out that they played Seattle about a week after I became besotted and I didn't even know until the next day. Bummer, but I will nake up that oversight, too, the next time they are in town.

I have to say that I love the early stuff, and YHF is an unqualified masterpiece, but its really the current lineup that reaches a musical pinnacle that few other current bands have reached.

I've taken to thinking of Jeff Tweedy as sort of a modern-day, American, roots-rock-inspired version of Robert Fripp, and Wilco is his King Crimson. Weird analogy, but it makes sense to me.

audiotom and linclink like this.
  17. jalexander

There's an alternate version on the YHF bonus ep. It's an earlier mix that, I believe, is attributed to Jay's approach during the YHF process.

linclink likes this.
  18. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Yep, the album version is "Kamera" and the alternate version is "Camera", and the alternate is more recently included in the AMF compilation.

Btw, that link points out one more cool thing -- click on a song on their site, and they've imported/maintained a pretty good list of performance dates for that song. (Once upon a time, there was something called Wilcobase.)

linclink likes this.
  19. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

20. Colin Allstations

Isn't there a third version, which is more lush, orchestrated / more typical of Jay Bennett, whereas the 'Camera' version from More Like The Moon/AMF is more of a rock thing? Think it was on the YHF 'demos' boot than someone from their own camp clearly leaked themselves, way back when.

linclink likes this.
  21. jalexander

Yes, there is... and it is good.

linclink likes this.
  22. Or Phish. We could keep working backwards in time, but the O.P. was correct. These were all excellent traits about Wilco.

Fullbug and linclink like this.
  23. Absolutely agree... either as great a band as I've ever seen, or maybe the greatest. There are as fave a band as I have & at this point, might very well be my fave American band ever even...looking very forward to the upcoming gigs in Cleveland & Ithaca this next month.

audiotom likes this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Forgot to add

11) their ticket prices are very reasonable

12) they play cool venues and lesser played cities

linclink and jaxpads like this.
  25. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I always try to see them when they are around, and solo Tweedy and other band side projects. Money well spent most often.

audiotom and linclink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.