Pioneer cd recorders

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim Addley, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Addley

Jim Addley New Member Thread Starter

Hi. I recently purchased a Pioneer PDR-555RW cd recorder. I'm having difficulty finding blank music cd-rs that will work on this deck. I'm considering the "Mitsui Mam-a gold cd-rs" for long term use but they are expensive. Has anyone ever tried these cdrs on this deck and how do they perform? I have many tapes and minidiscs I would like to copy on to some other format. I fear I may have to return to cassettes or vhs hi-fi's. Any advice would be appreciated!.

2. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I had a Phillips CD recorder years ago. I used Maxell CD-rs. You can still find them at Walgreens, at least here in VA.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

On the verge of extinction.

Mine is a PDR-609, and I usually used MAM-A (non-gold) CD-Rs with success.

Reliable recordable optical discs are disappearing, and most that remain are poor quality. Worse, if you're using those (or any) gold CDs on a desktop, there's a fair chance a modern disc drive will have trouble reading them. Even if they're for playback only, the golds may have trouble on newer CD or DVD players.

Gold does resist deterioration some, but it's more trouble than it's worth in 2015.

I'd suggest forgetting gold, and try to find good-performing Verbatim music CDRs (and the brand alone is not enough, you have to research specifics routinely). If archiving is the goal, I'd suggest getting them on a hard drive, and a non-gold disc will make that task easier. (That's assuming you're recording LPs. If you're archiving CDs, burn directly to hard drive.)

I have a hunch that's not what you want to hear. But the materials and gear for optical storage are drying up fast.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MAM Gold CD-R will not work. Not a "Music CD-R". Intended for low speed computer burning or professional market standalone recorder use only. Must be a Music CD-R, MAM-A does offer a good Music CD-R which is low speed rated, and works well in finicky recorders.

Muzyck likes this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I had a Pioneer Elite PD-R19RW, it was a POS, failed with many discs. Most of the older stand alone burners had issues from what I saw.

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

As McLover noted, you probably need to use "Audio" or "Music" CDR discs. They cost more by design. I use Memorex "Music CDR" discs in my TEAC burner. Staples carries them. In my experience, they are fairly reliable.

I have found that component music CD burners are finicky and don't last long. I have been through a bunch. Phillips (x2), Sony (x2) and I am now on my second TEAC. That is after returning my first "second" one as defective after having it a week. :realmad:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You are REQUIRED to use them in the Pioneer. No other way. Must be MUSIC CD-R or For Consumer only. Only Pioneer based unit which is a related exception is the HHb models with the same transport, aimed at studio use.

9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

You must use discs that have the square logo: "Compact disc digital audio" and state, "recordable". Do not use discs that say "music CD" or "for consumer only" since these may or may not work on your Pioneer. (they'll be finicky) CD-R discs for computer burning will not work at all on stand alone CD recorders. (but you can use a "recordable" disc on a PC)

I've had outstanding results on my Pioneer PDR-609 and a Philips CDR-880. I use them mostly for archiving vinyl. The "finalized" CD's will play on any player, including PC's. (I've not had any problem playing gold CD-R's on my PC or any player so far) The recorders are not fussy, or maybe I've been lucky.. every brand has worked well, Memorex, Sony, Verbatim. Discs I have made back in 2002 still play perfectly. Eventually errors will develop as the dye begins to break down, so I've backed everything up on a hard drive.

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.