Doctor Who Turns 50, who is your favorite Doctor?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dhoffa85, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

i found him, but your right; takes a bit!!

2. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Jon Pertwee, with Tom Baker a close second.

Andrew, tkl7 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

John Hurt? Seriously, he was pretty great in the special, bringing some grizzled gravitas to the proceedings, more understated than the other two.

Like many Americans, I was brought up on the Tom Baker era, so he tends to be the one I think of first. I did like what Christopher Eccleson brought to the role and wish that he had stuck it out a bit longer. I've enjoyed the last two well enough, but he's grown a bit too manic and cutesy for my tastes. I'll be curious to see how the new guy interprets the role.

4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Ok, for those of us who still can't stop K9 in the picture...

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Finally found K-9 (though no cat nun nurse :D).

See the 7th Doctor, toward upper right? To your left... See Mel, in the bubble? Look through our left side of the bubble in front of the skin er, Cassandra (?) and there is where the little dog gone. Very clever of him to hide where no one wants to look... ;)

6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

That picture would make a great puzzle!

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The Dream Lord?
    dream_lord.jpg

8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Ah, yes. Thanks! I knew he was familiar but I couldn't place him.

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I've always answered Pat Troughton to this question. However, I recently re-evaluated.

Matt Smith for me now. I was impressed with his take from the first. Just had a couple of days watching every Smith episode. He was born for the role. I've tried to like Capaldi. I do, in fact. But I'm thinking he's not a patch on MS. His portrayal is simply Colin Baker/William Hartnell rehashed. Wonder what viewing figures will be like after this upcoming series?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Need I say anything at all?

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looking at this again, I still prefer Baker (Tom), but also like Pertwee, Eccleston and Tennant. When I watch older episodes now, it's hard to believe how crappy most of the effects were (I should probably give Sylvester McCoy another go), but a lot of the storylines are good and they don't resort to the kind of gross sentimentality that has been known to creep into some of the modern stories

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Tom Baker, with Jon Pertwee at a close second. Then Peter Capaldi and Matt Smith next.

But it is always a bit hard because I love all of them. Even poor Colin Baker.

13. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I started off watching only the Tom Baker era, but fortunately had classmates who brought over U.K. copies off the air for some Pertwee, and Troughton episodes. Also didn't get into viewing Christopher Eccleson until the end of his work, yet Chris brought so much energy, and yes really wish that he had stayed for a few more seasons!

15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although my TV viewing began with Tom Baker as The Doctor, my very first experience with The Doctor was in the non-canon movie "Dr. Who And The Daleks" with Peter Cushing. Although I liked Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor, my favorite is The Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker).

The Sixth Doctor was such as departure from his previous selves, such as being the only one who actually liked his new appearance. While we did see some difficulty with regeneration with The Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison), for the first time we got just how traumatic it can be with The Sixth Doctor, who appears to suffer a complete mental breakdown to the point of becoming mentally deranged and potentially dangerous.

Once he stabilized, his abrasive and arrogant personality made him very interesting. Plus, he was a very take-charge Doctor who went out to deal with trouble rather than just happening upon it (like many of his previous personas had done). I could not picture any other persona giving the Time Lords a dressing down the way The Doctor did in the last story of "Trial Of A Time Lord" (see the following):

While I've liked some of the other Doctors, with The Seventh and Ninth being among my favorites, The Sixth still is my favorite.

Andy Smith likes this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Tom Baker, for me.

17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

1. Tom Baker
    2. Matt Smith
    3. Christopher Eccelston

(And I think I'm going to enjoy the audio productions of Paul McGann - his audition for that American tv movie was incredible, even if the movie itself turned out to be dung).

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I started on the modern series and I'm slowly working my way thru the classic era stuff.

Modern era: Matt Smith followed by Capaldi and then Tennant.
    Classic era: Baker followed by Troughton

Haristar likes this.
  19. Andy Smith

Good to see some love for Colin. I liked what they did with him. A bit of crotchetiness, crankiness, temper-tantrums.... all echoing aspects of Bill Hartnell. Very different from the loveable big brother that was Peter Davidson. Some of my favourite Who stories are from the Colin Baker era (Revelation Of The Daleks and Attack Of The Cybermen).

20. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Only seen most of the Newer series, but Tennant I really liked. Matt Smith at times, I liked.
    The latest doctor, honestly have not made it past the first episode featuring him yet!

Really scared I am not able to like him at all!

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think Capaldi is great, I liked him right off the bat.

zobalob, tkl7, Scope J and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Although I place Baker, Smith, Tennant, Troughton, and Capaldi high on my list, I really enjoy whichever Doctor I'm watching at the moment! I think Baker and Smith would be the desert island picks if i had to choose.

I had a great opportunity to photograph the 50 years of costumes exhibit in Wales recently and posted many of them on my website here. Most of the Doctor costumes are represented :)

http://spyvibe.blogspot.com/2015/07/doctor-who-experience.html

Andy Smith likes this.
  23. Andy Smith

That's an interesting collection of shots there chum.

Jason W likes this.
  24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Tom Baker

25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This is why I hope, someday, they do a CGI anniversary episode featuring all of the Doctors with each of them looking as they did when they were The Doctor. Considering the way The Sixth Doctor described The Fifth Doctor, it would be interesting to see the two of them meet, as would the meeting of The War Doctor and The Ninth Doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.