Bands You Stopped Following

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by citizensmurf, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Beatles-Bigger than nothing!:biglaugh:
    (Com`n I had too!)o_O

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

-neil young- I own 3 studio albums he's released the last 20 years. keep in mind he's released like 15 solo albums the last 20 years

-pearl jam- not sure why though

chrisblower likes this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Iron maiden (I know I`m the darn bass player!);)

Put out Maiden Japan mixed by Doug Hall already!:doh:

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Rubber, they always snapped back at me!

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Neil has put out some really interesting stuff over the past 20 years - Silver & Gold, Greendale, Chrome Dreams II, Fork In the Road, and Psychedelic Pill are all really really good.

You're not into Pearl Jam anymore because Binaural was their last really good album, and each one since has become progressively more...static?? Just...no edge left. Ed's faux - rage against the GOP is just hollow. What's the point?? When he's not boorishly railing against politics, he's just boring, period.

It's not a mystery why Pearl Jam fans are content with mainly material from 'the golden years' of 1990-2000...

6. Matthew Tate

2 of the 3 I own still lol. I had silver and gold and Greendale at one time

7. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Ricky Skaggs.

8. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I stopped following most bands of the 80s. As I really love the old albums by Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Kreator, Sodom, Annihilator, Mortal Sin, Destruction or Anthrax for example, I never liked the stuff they did in the 90s or today. Not sure what exactly may be the reason, but I think the 80s have their own spirit and nothing can catch these vibes again.

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

Interestingly I think Rush's chilliest, most mechanical album is also their most soulful: Grace Under Pressure.

10. davers

davers Forum Resident

I never thought I'd stop following Neil but I'm there now. Psychedelic Pill was a slight reprieve, but he's lost me again.

Three other artists I love but stopped enjoying their new music in the late 90s: Costello, Mellencamp, Morrison.

chumlie, the no guy and Tommy SB like this.
  11. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Neil Young - the only albums I like after Silver And Gold are Prairie Wind and A Letter Home.
    Genesis post Abacab are meh
    Beach House post Teen Dream

12. Matthew Tate

mellencamps last 2 albums are great

13. davers

davers Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip, I'll need to check 'em out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. U2: When I first heard Pop I completely gave up. Hated what I've heard from more recent releases.
    REM: Don't care for any of their post-Automatic For The People stuff
    Phish: Loved them when I was a student (about 10-15 years ago) but haven't bought or heard anything in quite some time. I just lost interest.

Dog Ear likes this.
  15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Frankly, I never "followed" any "bands".

If it was cool I dug it if not, why bother?

I don't get the concept of "following" a band. :shrug:

16. Matthew Tate

the ones before that you are right, they kinda started getting all the same sounding

17. telepicker97

Yup, definitely Phish too. Loved em in high school but ever since about 1996 or 97 I've totally lost interest in them too.

ostrichfarm likes this.
  18. telepicker97

Well, in this case, it's "when they put out a new album, you buy it and like it."

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I never did that.

I bought nothing unless I heard it first, not just because it was a certain "band".

I Saved a lot of money probably and more than a few letdowns I would guess. :magoo:

goodiesguy and Suncola like this.
  20. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

You start from a strange perspective. That once you buy two or three albums from an artist you have to buy everything.
    But those, who do that, are the true exception from the rule. Look into the record collections of most people and you will find lots of artists featured by one or two albums, very often it's their biggest sellers.
    And besides it's in the nature of the game, that most really successful artists have a creative peak of just three to four years and/or three to four albums. Those few who stay on top for decades are the absolute minority. And even they have albums, that may not attract to their loyal fans. So it might be more interesting, why people keep buying albums from an artist, although they don't like the music anymore.

I could name lots of artists, that are only featured with one, two or three albums in my collection. But I wouldn't name them, cause very often they are not to blame for anything. Sometimes the reason for not "following" any longer was simply, that there was something new and more exciting there. And my money was limited.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

AGree about Sonic Youth. There was a time when they were fresh and you had to take notice. I never follwoed them but it turns out that Daydream Nation is the one album that still works for me. The other record is the 12" Death Valley '69 which aside from the stunning A side is also a good selection of early songs. The SRY 'art' series I just stuck in box, almost immediately - promised so much and delivered so little.

My list

John Zorn - interesting at the time and helped me through the early 90s. I still enjoy Naked City, Spy vs Spy, The Big Gundown (especially), and some of the early filmworks. Then it seemed to me that he just over-produced. I never took to his serious compositional work, the Hassidic jazz or the early improv. game pieces like Cobra, for that matter. I must have a over a dozen JZ CD I never listen to.

Boredoms. Huge huge fan until the trance-out stuff after Chocolate Synthesisr.

I love The Red C/Krayola to bits. And I hate to say it but once Mayo Thompson team up with the Grubbs and O-Rourke Drag City crowd, it was nearly all down-hill. With those self-conciously arty-intellect musicians, he just seemed to lose all interest in taking control of his own music. The music seemed to lose all its charm, wit and cheek from then on. There were two recent interesting exceptions - Sighs Trapped By Liars (great songs and vocals, only marred by O-Rourke's usual over-production) and the nicely provocative Five American Portraits.

Moan over.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    phillyal1 likes this.
  22. Levee

Levee Active Member

OP is just being ignorant

I can't speak for Sonic Youth but Load is incredible, the Black Album, Garage Inc. and Death Magnetic are also very good. The Melvins also have a lot of great work too, Houdini for one and Lysol, Stag and Stoner Witch are all top albums.

I don't understand this mindset so many people seem to have... wah wah wah band changed their sound and now they don't sound the same so **** em!!! Grow up will you, it's the same damn band. You're not cooler or a better fan because you heard them earlier. I don't have a problem if you genuinely don't enjoy the music but don't be so god damn ignorant like OP and at least give it a listen, who knows, you might even like it.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Agreed. I never buy everything by a band - only what I like. You get 3-4 great albums if you are lucky. If a band makes one great album in their career it's a small miracle.

But in defence of the OP's original point, I thought he was saying that there comes a point where people naturally stop liking the stuff they used to like, by a particular band, and re-evaluate what they do like, if anything - maybe ending up with a handful of core albums.

Sometimes its easy to always buy a band's next album because you simply want/need to believe.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    pwhytey likes this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Neil Young - steeeeeep decline in quality since 2000. Also really sick of his public persona.
    Last album bought was Psychedelic Pill, which was OK but not more.

25. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Einsturzende Neubauten were a band I used to pick up lps by on day of release when I could , but I don't have the last few lps at all.

Swans I need to catch up with, but I haven't seen live since the reunion. I'm at least one lp behind.

Levellers I was nearly the first person hitching the country to see, then the drummer broke his wrist playing football and the tour was cancelled. Next tour was the one supporting NMA and they picked up a lotof that following. They then seemingly changed to some extent becoming more anthemic or something and I lost interest in them.

Sonic Youth seem to be a band that have been mentioned quite a bit so far. I think I kept current with them until I moved to Ireland. Actually the first show that I was going to see in Ireland ever was them in Belfast in 90 on the day I arrived. I slipped behind in what I was buying and don't have a great chunk of their lps from then on.
    Do have 1000 Leaves and one or 2 other things I've picked up in sales and also the Deluxe series but not everything as I possibly would have once.

I think there are a number of other bands I have cut off points for but they're not ones i was following contemporarily to their release anyway.
    Bowie, Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, Iggy Pop, Jefferson Starship ( & Airplane thanks to Covington), John Martyn and a few others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.