Kate Bush Live Shows 2014-2015 *Spoiler* Thread (Second Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

As I said earlier, dear, sweet Kate imposes a code of silence on her collaborators that Mafia Dons might find a trifle excessive.

marblesmike and sound chaser like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

I hope it happens as well. But almost as much as a DVD/BluRay, I hope for a theatrical presentation. There were some 70,000 tickets sold, and some percentage of those people saw multiple shows, so the number of total human beings to have this experience is relatively tiny.

Those of us who got in know just how lucky we were, and what a special occasion it was, and I want to share that experience with a theater full of Kate fans who weren't quite as lucky as us.

Merrick, imarcq, oh1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

One year since the first show. Rumors are flying fast and furious that the DVD and a reissue campaign are in the offing, but who knows if that is just wishful thinking. She kept the whole concert secret until she announced it. Heck, she kept the birth of her own son a secret until Peter Gabriel spilled the beans.

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Are there legit sources for these rumors or are they just coming from Facebook trolls?

5. Chris DeVoe

Nothing legit as of yet - i.e. I have not heard anything from anyone who would really know, like Peter D. F-M. But then, anyone who really knows would also have been directly asked to keep it a secret as well. One of the rumors is from someone who has been correct before claims that Peacock Design is working on the artwork for the re-issue campaign. But as usual, you'll get more reliable information from a Magic 8-Ball.

marblesmike likes this.
  6. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

"ASK AGAIN LATER"

Perfect mantra for us Kate fans. :D

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

When I first read the rumors about the DVD release many months ago I thought: "Seriously? No blu-ray and it's 2015?" I'd love to see the show, and regret not hearing about it until after the tickets sold out, but I wouldn't pay to see it unless it's on blu-ray or at least PPV HD.

I guess I should be more concerned about not seeing it at all in this decade...

8. Chris DeVoe

I think people are just using "DVD" as shorthand for both formats. The cameras they used were ARRI Alexas, a very high quality digital cinema camera. They had something like 16 of them during the two days of the shoot, quite possibly had a significant percentage of the ones in the UK. This is not a piece of kit that you pick up down at Tescos. It's overkill even for BluRay, making me hopeful for an eventual theatrical presentation in 4K.

The schedule for the BFI London Film Festival is going to be announced on September 1. Kate premiered The Line, The Cross & The Curve at that festival, and I'm hoping she intends to do the same with Before The Dawn. She is using much of the same creative team who did Bjork's Biophilia film, so I hope they are advising her on a screening schedule.

sunspot42, Merrick and Sordel like this.
  9. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Kate's determined to bypass the DVD era totally, a couple more years and mission accomplished I think :p

sunspot42 and jsayers like this.
  10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I really don't mean this as a threadcrap, but Kate's missed the window where I would be entertained watching her music videos and concerts like I would have, say, ten years or more ago. I'm getting older, and Kate obviously doesn't need the money, so poo. At this point with physical releases selling so poorly compared to 20 years ago, it's probably not financially worth her or the label's time but to a small group of hardcore fans to put those old home video vhs tapes out on dvd or bluray. All those hard-earned "collector's" vhs tapes I collected years ago are all up on Youtube now for free, along with everything else you could want to see. Even Amazon UK sells dvd's of her stuff that obviously aren't legit. Do a search there and see if you haven't already.

She may release this latest tour on home video of some sort, but if I were a betting man I'd go with no considering the way things have been concerning Kate and home video. Just my humble opinion!

Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Excellent! I have one of those! I'll give it a roll...

12. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I expect she's unhappy with how it looks or sounds on film and has had a change of heart. Even that show shouldn't take a year to mix and edit.

13. Chris DeVoe

It obviously didn't take a full year to edit the show (in the year since, I've shot and edited 65 full length concerts), but they apparently are waiting for the Christmas season. Remember that last year, the excitement generated by the shows got all of her albums on the charts. Plainly, she doesn't really need the money, but she's wanted to have a film of The Ninth Wave ever since she wrote it, and they used the sort of equipment with which you shoot Hollywood movies. I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised if they spent north of a million pounds on the shoot - and while she has a lot of money, that's still not the kind of cash one can toss aside on a whim. I might suspect she's having all all of her wrinkles tweaked away by LOLA FX, but she released un-retouched images to the newspapers and magazines.* No, this is the sort of irrational thing people in the record business do - waiting a full year to have the maximum impact on the market.

As I said, if she wants to do the "premiere at an international film festival" thing, we'll know September 1st. Otherwise, they may choose to release it in time the be the perfect Christmas gift for that Kate Bush fan in your life.

*We were astonishingly lucky, and were as close as 6' from Kate as the carried her up the aisle, so I have a good reference point on how she looked.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  14. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I guess we'll see. I hope you're right. I think you've hit the nail on the head with part of your post about what the main reason for the delay is.

15. Chris DeVoe

Interesting bit of news. Stanley Gabriel assisted Stephen Tayler with the mix of 50 Words for Snow:

Do you have any achievements you are particularly proud of? What are the big landmarks of your career?

One of my career highlights happened straight out of university, where I got to work as mix assistant on Kate Bush's last album 50 Words for Snow. It was a three-month-long mix session, working in minute detail on each track. Watching Kate and Stephen Tayler work was an incredible experience.
    Three months to mix? Sheesh!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Replay hazy, ask again.

Paul H likes this.
  17. Dr.O'Boogie

Good points, from a commercial viewpoint she has certainly missed many boats and pretty much a synopsis of the problems faced by all artists in the digital era. I have those DVD's too!

Did you get to see BTD? It was a truly great show and IMO stands more chance of being a financial success than most other releases of this type. Also, descending to mere logic, not the best indicator of what Kate will do now or ever, why film it at an obviously great expense if you don't intend to present it.........in whatever format happens to be the vogue when she eventually gets around to it?

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

She may have recorded it for posterity - it was a very rare event for her. Then if she wanted to release it commercially she would have that option as well. Maybe she wanted her grandkids, etc. to be able to see her perform years from now, a family historical record, if you will. Just ideas, who knows? Maybe Chris is right and it'll be out for Christmas!

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Metal group Rammstein just announced concert DVD that was 5 years in the making.

20. Dr.O'Boogie

Personal posterity? If so it would certainly be in a totally different league to Paul McCartney asking Tony Barrow to record the final Beatles show on a cassette recorder. Sorry, I'm not buying that idea.

No disrespect to Chris who certainly seems to have his fingers on the pulse more than me but he was also predicting a Christmas release last year, probably because it 'makes/made sense'.

I've given up trying to predict Kate Bush......but that doesn't mean I have lost faith. IMO BTD will be released and as much as I love speculating about it as a Kate fan since 1978 I believe it will happen when she tells us it will happen.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    ConnieGuitar and jsayers like this.
  21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Led Zep's London O2 show took 5 years to see the light of day also....

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

It made sense for her to try to get it out last Christmas, but if the fairly simple 50 Words took 3 months to mix, who knows how long BtD would take?

Andrew Russe and Dr.O'Boogie like this.
  23. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

If we use the same timeframe that there was for 50 Words (a late November release) then hopefully there should be some sort of announcement in mid to late September about it.

24. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Chris, thanks for the details. I agree, if she spent all that money on filming the concerts, a film will no doubt be released at some point. And, I hope you're right about it not being limited to DVD. It'll probably be a limited theatrical engagement followed closely by On-Demand and blu-ray.

We all know how long Kate lingers over her projects, so waiting a year or more for her to finish this film is no surprise.

25. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Imagine how much money the industry would have made if much of the historic material now available for free on YouTube had been made available for sale on DVD.

PH416156 and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.