Favourite Olivia Newton-John Album Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I know what you mean, but I can´t stand the snaps and popples and burning wood on vinyl... Too much noise on too many vinyl albums I have owned. I like the sound - warm, detailed, balanced - but I find that on the best SACDs as well, and even on some well-mastered CDs. I still buy some vinyl, but not very often.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

After reading whats popular from the 70's this looked favourable to check out first!

Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Jarleboy

What a lovely way to start the morning - hang out with some cyber-friends and discuss music I like. What could be better? :nauga:

4. Jarleboy

Wise move. It´s much closer to "Totally Hot" than the album that followed, so I draw the conclusion that it´s better. Not knocking MAGTB, but you have to be in the mood. DSB is "easy listening" - in the sense that it´s undemanding and easy to listen to. Love the title track!

Bobby Morrow and kingrommel like this.
  5. kingrommel

This is an excellent forum and thread & everyones polite. Even when we sometimes niggle over albums, everyones nice about it! :wiggle:

6. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

No, the hi-res stuff is most definitely not for burning to CD. The only reason to buy an HD download is to play it back at full resolution. Any computer can do this, and you have all sorts of options for playback, from headphones to high-end speaker systems. I play my HD stuff back through my Apple TV; I just access my computer's library through my home wi-fi network, and I can play anything in my music library through the receiver in my living room, which is tied into the Apple TV with an HDMI cable.

Personally, I greatly prefer the HD downloads over the SACD or Blu-Ray audio formats. Much easier to keep track of and access, and I can play the stuff across multiple devices, rather than having to just use the Blu-Ray player.

7. Jarleboy

That´s one of the main reason I like it as well. I have never understood why discussing music should be something equivalent to a war! It´s music; something that brings you pleasure. I don´t care whether that pleasure is released by the same music that "gets" me, as long as you experience the pleasure. Of course, it´s nice to discuss the music with people who responds to the same music that I do, but it´s not a prerequisite. As long as you like music, it´s OK with me.

Bobby Morrow and kingrommel like this.
  8. kingrommel

When I play hd through my pc (which is half decent) it has a little too much 'filtering' and it doesnt weigh up against the Sony CD/Blu ray player. I think high end gear does justice to HD, but i get better results from DTS surround than stereo HD on any format (for me anyhow).

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The 2001 remaster of 'True Blue' was awful, so it's to be hoped HD Tracks didn't use that master... The 1985 Nimbus-pressed CD I have is great.

Yes, only 2 ONJ albums on SACD, and one of those is an album no one cares about much.:D It'd be nice to see Totally Hot, Xanadu, HYNBM and Soul Kiss on SACD, if nothing else...

Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  10. kingrommel

It would be good if the list you gave was given the release and the recordings and mixes are very well done. Soul kiss for example has such good sharpness and track seperation that i think this would sound excellent (even if this isnt the top choice for all! ;)).

Totally hot has a good organic feel and this would be a good one especially i think. Time for Olivia's Box II to make a comeback...

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I absolutely love Olivia's version of Reckless, her duet with Carl Wilson etc. Guess me and Bobby Morrow don't agree to a single thing regarding ONJ!

kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

We both like the Physical album. That seems to be about it.

13. Bobby Morrow

I think Olivia's put her box away for good now!:D

Totally Hot is one of her best recorded albums. The MCA CD is the best one, but the SHM is decent and has 2 bonus tracks, a live version of Love Is Alive and an extended version of Totally Hot. I forget, do you have this album on CD?

Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Had no idea she did a duet with a Beach Boy. :confused: Carl must've been very desperate in the 80's.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. kingrommel

Yes, the Festival release from the late 90's and the cheeky DTS 5.1 version that doesnt exist officailly :D

16. Jarleboy

Does the latter sound good? And is it possible to get hold of this non-existing wonder? ;)

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. kingrommel

Look out for my PM ;)

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

The Festival is pretty good. They haven't cocked up the artwork on this one too much either.:D It's 'beefier' than the MCA, but I don't think I've played it since I got the SHM...

19. Jarleboy

I have the SHM-CD, and I´m pretty pleased with it. At one time, I also owned the Festival and the MCA version. Hmm... I might like this album.

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Why desperate. She was a superstar in the early 80's, nothing desperate about it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. kingrommel

It is indeed a tad crowded-sounding , i listen to the other one for now, but an original dynamic sounding one is something i will keep my eyes out for. either a japan Black triangle one or similar.

Bobby Morrow, andy75 and Jarleboy like this.
  22. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Don't think there ever was a black triangle CD of 'Totally Hot'. I would love such a disc myself.

23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You're right.

andy75, kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

No, there wasn't one. The Japan for US MCA twofer and single album disc were the earliest ones produced. Then the Festival remaster in 1998 and the SHM in 2010. Not many editions really!

25. kingrommel

It does sound good, and is better to my ears than the festival one. But its surround so im kinda biased when the tracks have good seperation. :D

Its an upmix - someone clever has split the stereo to 6 track and generally what you do to achive this is sometimes like this potted version of how to do this.:

Using Audacity (for example)

1. duplicate tracks to create 3 x stereo tracks (6 in total) (front L, Front R, Centre, Woofer, Back Left, Back R - tracks 1-6)
    2. remove vocals from back left/right channels
    3. create high pass filter on back/left tracks to remove low end bass sounds (ambinace now created)
    4. Track 3 - leave as is and amplify slightly (create clearer centre vocals)
    5. Reduce vocals slightly from left / right front channels and a tad basd reduction (if required) (you now have a mostly music left/right and dominating centre speaker for vocals.
    6. do a low pass filter to retain nothing except low frequencies - amplify so that the woofer can just go bump, bump to the song.
    7 make sure all the tracks are now converted to single tracks (ie single tracks, non-stereo as they are now dedicated to channels now)

After playing around with the volume settings for each track you usually get a good job done with about 15 minutes work. Doing an album takes a while though.

(If doing this with 'remastered' compressed relreases - you can sometime get better results by playing around with EQ settings to reduce distortion and some bits, but best to use original produced 80's cds for this)

Once converted to DTS, it can be played on any cd/DVD/Blu ray player that can handle basic DTS.

If you like an artist who happens to be featured on guitar hero etc - then the split tracks are out there and you can mix these just like a real producer! :hide:

I did 'Culture Shock' as a test track (yes i did! @Bobby Morrow :D) and it sounded pretty good for a 15 minute rush job.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.