Paul McCartney.- Come and Get It

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stuguy, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Disagree; it's a perfect encapsulation in a catchy pop song of the Apple debacle.

dcincinci, davenav, Eska68 and 4 others like this.
  2. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

There ya go. That's one of the things that bugs me about Macca, also that people call him Macca. His stuff was great through Ram and this Badfinger song. But the over the top love for his later solo stuff, and the died hair? Come on Paul! :hide:

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:chill:

There is a difference between having a preference and caring. Relax, man. No hard feelings. We're all fans.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I have to say - that video that was posted sounds pretty great, performance-wise. His voice has been a bit shaky for years but it seems well suited for this one.

I'm sorry to hear it got such a tepid response - I'd have been doing laps around the stadium if he pulled out a rarity like this at one of the shows I saw him!!

fatoldsun, Rhett, theMess and 4 others like this.
  5. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Paul McCartney is the epitome of someone who doesn't have to give a s**t about what anyone thinks of any aspect of his life and choices. It might be a bit sad for someone like me who is only 58 and not aging that well to see someone his age caring so much about what he looks like to die his hair, especially considering he is aging so damn well. Look at Eric Clapton, regardless of what you think of his recent music he looks great for his age. He's comfortable in it. Paul could be the same way lucky stiff. He's the one that should chill out.

6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I bet he will do that song live at least once with the Hollywood Vampires, maybe next month.

theMess likes this.
  7. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

True, but honestly, those who bought the Anthology series has most likely forgot it's on there. The series sold well, but other than real fans who regularly listens to it, I'll bet that costumers haven't played the Anthology since it was released. The hype about it, did at least 50 pct. of the sales. Other than that, Badfinger's hit was of course a big hit, but so was a lot of other songs by other groups. If radio or the public or the artist does nothing to persue the songs legacy, it's forgotten very quickly. "Come And Get It" is a forgotten nugget, but Macca fans always shakes their heads in disbelief when nobody knows ANY McCartney song. They can't, quite honestly, see the woods from bare trees, and I think it's hilarious that fans do expect wild response from the audience, to a song where it's obvious no one knows it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I was in a concert where he played that and it was very special to those, who are deeper into the catalogue. So for many it was the surprise of the evening. No doubt songs like that will not get the same response like "Yesterday", but it's great that he does come up with those rarities from time to time.

fatoldsun and theMess like this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He's played "My Valentine" 114 times according to setlist.fm, so clearly audience reaction isn't a factor. :laugh:

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And that was 114 times in a ROW!! What a concert that was! ;)

11. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Given to the fact that at least half of the crowd at his concerts is not what we call "hardcore fans" (I mean people that have all the albums), the song was relatively unknown. Another embarassing moment was "Junior's Farm": it was received in total silence and hardly got an applause.

12. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I enjoyed seeing the clip to this, and it was a nice surprise as I never expected to - thank you. :) I've always liked the track and it was a real Anthology highlight for me... I probably enjoy the demo as much as the Badfinger hit (which I have on the original single as well as on their Timeless comp.)

As a little aside (forgive me for my indulgence here) but I thought for some years that it was originally released by Paul that I was hearing him sing it. This is because when I was little, we had an LP called Chartbusters Boomin' and it followed the trend of the time that started in the late sixties (by the Top Of The Pops series - no relation to the BBC TV show) where you could pick up 'budget' albums that contained remakes of the chart hits of the day. The results were often varied! But Come And Get It was a song on there I'd play over and over and of course, it didn't list the artists on the sleeve as it was hired session men. On this forum, I discovered that a pre-fame Elton John was on tracks on that (though not Come And Get It) and other volumes in the series - possibly other Anyway, the label had the composer's name under the song title as was common and I thought that was telling me who the artist was, thus leading to my mistaken belief - back then, I didn't know it was simply a writer's credit. As I look through a lot of used vinyl, I'll be pleased as anything when I find a copy of this to hear once again. This was very likely one of the first songs I loved, at the age of around six or so.

Sorry - back to the discussion. :D

13. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Interesting how the song's lyrics predict how the song was requested by his audience, but was not well received and so was short-lived in his setlist.

If you want it, here it is come and get it
    Mmmm, make your mind up fast
    If you want it, anytime I can give it
    But you better hurry cause it may not last

Did I hear you say that there must be a catch
    Will you walk away from a fool and his money
    If you want it, here it is come and get it
    But you better hurry cause it's going fast

If you want it, here it is come and get it,
    Mmmm, make your mind up fast
    If you want it, anytime I can give it
    But you better hurry cause it may not last

Did I hear you say that there must be a catch
    Will you walk away from a fool and his money

Sonny, if you want it, here it is come and get it
    You'd better hurry cause it's going fast
    Fool and his money

Sonny, if you want it, here it is come and get it

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I think it is more likely that you wish that he plays it one more time next month. Maybe because Hollywood Vampires are playing in Brazil. But if he doesn't hop on any of he LA shows, Brazil will probably not happen either

16. Zack

Zack Senior Member

While we're on the subject, just what is "it"? Discuss ...

17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I'm eating my lunch at the moment so don't feel like looking at this - but others can... if they want. :p

Zack likes this.
  18. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Money.... Isn't that ALWAYS "IT"?

Zack likes this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Wild theories, sweeping generalizations, and some really poor spelling. Other than that, terrific post.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I thought it was "steak and kidney pie". ;)

[​IMG]

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  21. RayS

22. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I don't think McCartney fans overrate the song, I don't think most of us (not sayng that definitively) had heard Paul's version until the Anthology releases. The familiarity obviously comes from Badfinger's version, which we all knew was a McCartney composition, it just comes down to a song that was, and still is for many, a cool little familIar number to rock with. If it's not that well received, then whatever. Still fun stuff.

23. RayS

In your honor:

Skywheel, Zeki and theMess like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:righton:

25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I am relaxed. I like the guy for his music, not his trousers or looks. I just find it so funny that people even care what color his hair is.

Chris from Chicago and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.