Bands You Stopped Following

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by citizensmurf, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Rolling Stones. Big fan through the sixties and early seventies, but started to lose interest with "It's Only Rock'n'Roll". Remained faithful for old times sake up to "Steel Wheels"...after that not my band anymore.

2. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Belle and Sebastian - after 'The Life Pursuit'

Spiritualized - after 'Let it come Down'

Oasis - after 'Standing on the Shoukder of Giants'

Gavinyl likes this.
  3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's evident you don't understand the mindset of people here from everything you said after you admitted that.

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Big mistake : Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are fantastic !

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Fairport, Thompson. Still love the early stuff by both, but anything new goes right by me.

phillyal1 and Siegmund like this.
  6. Levee

Levee Active Member

Not everyone...

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

dave matthews - that voice :yikes:

rod stewart - he is NOT frank sinatra

R.E.M. - a little change in guitar tone would be nice once in a while

zz top - the last 4 albums were just so bad.

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not necessarily.

Sometimes growing means growing out of. You grow, the music does not grow with you.

Sometimes a band does change their sound. You can the listen and like or not like it. Whatever, I always respect bands who are prepared to change their sound. Pere Ubu are a good example. I don't hear the OP saying he did not listen to later SY.

Some bands never change their sound. They don't grow. Sticking with the same idea.

'It's the same band'.

But often it's not the same band. Same name, same people (maybe), different minds. I'm not the person who bought Ziggy Stardust as a 15 year old. And David Bowie is not the same person who made it.

Earscape, starduster, PDK and 5 others like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not yet for me, but close.

'a letter home' was just so friggin bad, and then he goes around preaching sound quality and takes his stuff off spotify because it doesn't sound good, seriously neil young is just out there, way out there.

10. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson New Member

The Mavericks. Trampoline was their apex, and one of my five desert island discs. Everything since is meh.

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I haven't had any interest in any of these artists for decades.

Neil Young
    McCartney
    Stones
    U2
    Springsteen
    Tom Petty
    The Who

PDK and Joti Cover like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the who did you a favor. 1 new album in the last 30 years. thats decades

Tree of Life, alexpop and Erik B. like this.
  13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Cure. They were my favorite band but I got off the train after hearing The Cure album.

14. Sonic Youth
    Metallica
    The Who
    Rush
    Springsteen
    Tom Petty
    U2
    Mellencamp
    Fleetwood Mac
    Grateful Dead
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Duran Duran
    Carole King

Never followed any of that lot. I only have the Springsteen cd box 'cos it was selling really cheap[​IMG] and I wanted to hear what the fuss was about. I have one Who compilation cd, and Rumours and Tusk, that's it.
    Perhaps I should pour myself a large glass of 'smug-on-the -rocks'. :edthumbs:

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes. I started really getting into them back around 97/98. Went nuts for the sound. Bought everything I could. Traded shows first on tape then cd. I am done...too much of the same old same old. Warren has become very dull over the past 10 years, at least to me.

mrogers, mattright, chodad and 2 others like this.
  16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin. Loved them when I was 16 but as I get older I grow more and more averse to Robert Plant's screeching and wailing. Plus the fact that certain songs have been overplayed ad nauseam for the last 35 years. I still love No Quarter, The Rain Song and a couple of other tracks, but I have simply lost interest.

17. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

If stopped following means not buying their new releases anymore I would say almost every band I've ever liked. I rarely have every album by a band unless they only put out 3 or 4 albums total. If a band outs out one album I don't like I usually don't buy the next one. I'll come back if I hear something good. I'm still discovering great Dylan albums from 40 years ago. I don't need to buy the whole catalog at once.

Jackson likes this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what that is.

19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I generally only prefer periods of an artist output. As a result, I have a small collection compared to most around here. I think Zep is the only band that I have all the studio albums. It really does not bother me so much when I lose interest in an artist...just move on to the next one. I like to enjoy albums as works of art. The best art is when when bands are wild, young, poor, struggling, etc. I don't want to listen to albums that reflect my middle-age, suburban, boring, dad-rock life :laugh:

mattright likes this.
  20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Hadn't really pondered this question before, but this response is as good as any for me. Their first 2 albums were really intriguing for the times. Then, it seemed that they dove too head first for the mainstream on 3rd and never looked back. Nobody can really be entirely faulted for wanting success with all the trappings after years of preparation and struggle. That James Bond theme in "A View to a Kill" was really good and 2 of the Taylors did fine work with The Power Station. Otherwise, Duran Duran really lost me.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Sorry, Metallica was just not the same after And Justice For All. It isn't because we heard them first, it is because they got rid of the qualities we liked and kept ones we didn't.

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I thought La Futura was the best ZZ Top since....well....Eliminator. The albums from Afterburner to Mescalero is kind of a no-go area.

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Stones after Some Girls
    The Who after By Numbers
    ELO after Time
    Pink Floyd after Animals
    Bruce Cockburn after The Charity of Night
    Bruce Springsteen after We Shall Overcome:The Seeger Sessions
    John Hiatt after Perfectly Good Guitar
    Rod Stewart after Footloose and Fancy Free (except for Unplugged...and Seated which I love)

25. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Smug is a good word for it.
    I think the OP was clearly looking for bands you used to follow, but NOW don't.
    That is, you stopped buying their new material.

Not simply a list of popular bands you NEVER followed so you appear to be cool, edgy, and oh yeah, smug.:wiggle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.