Any Good Used CD Stores on West Long Island?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by George P, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I plan to head out to Long Island this Saturday with my girlfriend. We will be in a car, so I was hoping to find out if there is any good used CD stores worth checking out. We'll be coming from NYC, so the more west, the better.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

can you be a little more specific than "West Long Island"

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

going to need names of towns. the more west you go means you're basically in Brooklyn or Queens.

ricks likes this.
  4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Apologies for the nitpick but geographically speaking the most western part of Long Island is Brooklyn to the south and Long Island City Queens in the north.

Here is more simply summary: "Geographically speaking, Brooklyn makes up the western edge of Long Island. Politically, Long Island contains Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties. "

Not sure why but in my experience most who live in Manhattan and the Bronx, especially the old timers, don't seem to realize what comprises Long Island. same goes for 'out-of-towners'

[​IMG]

2nd Nitpick - how come threads like are never in the marketplace sub-forum. Seems as if that is the only logical place for them.

P.S. see the PM i sent you.

5. japes

japes Senior Member

I would stop at:

Mr. Cheapo's in Commack
    Looney Tunes in West Babylon
    High Fidelity in Amityville

All have a good selection of used CDs and are located in Suffolk County (western Long Island).

6. George P

Thanks a lot, japes!! :wave:

Are any of those on the big side?

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

japes, all of those are Eastern Long Island. A long travel from Manhattan in terms of time especially if one is on the road during beach going time. A single lane closure in Queens or Nassau would make it a 2 hour trip to get to Commack and my guess is the poster wanted something West to minimize travel.

2 of 3 are varying degrees of western Suffolk but Commack is middle Suffolk. Western "Long Island" not including Brooklyn or Queens would be some of Nassau County.

Anyhow I've lived there all my life so what do I know....

George, 1 of the shops is very small and literally filthy, the other is somewhat sizeable but most of the space now is devoted to DVD/Blu-Ray and Vinyl and the other since they re-opened in a new location is 99% new stuff. IMHO you are better heading to Jersey or Westchester from Manhattan. For used stuff all the good places are gone. The last of which shutdown in Feb

SKean likes this.
  8. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Looney Tunes is pretty big. Lots of used cd's and vinyl. High Fidelity is small but packed floor to ceiling with vinyl nd some used cd's. I love Infinity in Massapequa off of Sunrise Hwy. for used vinyl but not too many used cd's. I haven't been to Cheapo's in years. That's about it for LI as far as I know.

My faves? Cd's at Looney Tunes (used vinyl is a little pricey but cd's are cheap). Vinyl at Infinity.

George P likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

PHILLYQ and George P like this.
  10. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Mr. Cheapo still has a location in Mineola

ricks likes this.
  11. ricks

ricks Senior Member

OK now that is pretty much West Nassau. Although they usually make you regret ever walking through the door. Making fun of customers during and after they are kind enough to make a a purchase is totally unprofessional. If you are not happy working in a record/CD shop it's not the customers fault. This horrible attitude stems directly from the owner. Anyone who does not believe me just look at the nasty signs on the front door. Example "No Whining, No Hocking, No Questions" - and it's not done tongue in cheek as a joke they fully mean it. They are in a dying industry and business model they should be doing everything they can to make the customer want to spend money not alienate them. I won't even mention you have to ask to see most every CD..oh guess I did....

Anyhow George if you do go there good luck buddy - you will probably need it.

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I like Infinity a lot if, if I was a vinyl person it would be fantastic. Nice folks, relatively clean store, and next to a gyro joint. I go there myself occasionally looking for picture 45's from my early childhood of course that is from a collectible standpoint as i can't play'em

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Gaslight likes this.
  14. japes

japes Senior Member

Oh lord. I had a HUGE brain fart. I had it in my mind that the OP was going somewhere in the vicinity of Riverhead or someplace. My bad.

Of course, every single store I've mentioned is, in fact, in Eastern Long Island.

I should have known better having lived for a while in Farmingdale.

ricks likes this.
  15. George P

No need to apologize, japes.
    Your recommendations are west enough for me. I plan to go to Looney Tunes this weekend. Thanks again! :wave:

16. George P

Just left Cheapos in Mineola. Found 6 CDs at budget price. Great selection, but high used prices for the most part. Heading to Looney Tunes now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.