Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - Where We're Currrently At (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Most definitely. Several of the mixes are different, with some overdubs and re-fanglin'. Also, eight of the songs are Band-only, and they're good too! Those include the only released version of Dylan's "Long Distance Operator," and Band versions of "Ain't No More Cane" and "Don't Ya Tell Henry."

2. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Thanks. Just realized I wasn't considering the Band tracks -- not to mention mixes. Duh. Glad I asked.:righton:

3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I ended up with 2 disc, deluxe and Rsd mono lp. I've listened to the box a couple times, Rsd once and the 2 disc at least 20 times. I see the deluxe more as reference recordings that I need to have in my collection. E.g, Someone in this forum might mention something about a particular song or I'll read something and I'll play that disc to enjoy that particular song. It's all good.

4. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Wonder if we'll ever get a Band only Basement Tapes release??

Philip

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There is a long-in-the-works Levon &The Hawks box set from Other People's music, the label owned by Jan Haust-- the person who made the last year's Basement Tapes possible by allowing Sony access to his BT reels. If and when the set finally happens, it should cover those recordings extensively.

In any case, the Band-only Basement recordings will go into public domain in two years if they aren't released. So I think this is going to finally happen before then.

matt79rome89 likes this.
  6. Tom Schreck

Well the Band-only material wasn't necessarily recorded at Big Pink, so it's doubtful. Such a collection would look more like a rarities/demos collection from throughout their career. Robbie Robertson was heavily criticized for stretching the "Basement Tapes" concept much farther than the fans expected when assembling BS'75.

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I took Philip's question to refer to the actual '67 Band-only (of course, they didn't go by that name here) Basement recordings. Did I misinterpret?

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

9. Tom Schreck

No, you didn't misinterpret -- I was under the impression that there wasn't much (if anything) of interest recorded by the Hawks in that basement. I guess I'm wrong, as I often am! :p

10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Just thought there might have been a decent discs worth of stuff around........

Philip

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There is. Definitely.

12. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

Apparently the owner is renting out Big Pink. I thought this line from the end of the news article was pretty funny:

Yes, reports do suggest that

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Guy's it's still reasonably priced at £34.80 so get in while you can!

15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

So, is there any new info on the Basement Tapes? Anyone keeping tabs on the unreleased Red Room songs,
    or the possible other things (like a 2nd Wild Wolf take)?

Don't forget to pester Clinton Heylin or Sid Griffin if the opportunity arises in email or at a book signing, etc.
    They may have more info about the remaining unreleased recordings.

Someone like Heylin, especially, should be receptive as he spent a lot of time needling Sony about unreleased recordings.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm still wondering about that too.

Sid's revised book clearly has a TON of useful information. But it also has much that I find questionable (at best).

I *think* he got a one-time listen to the full archive and had to rely on notes for his book. Which could explain some of the oddball discrepancies. But that really doesn't explain every unanswered question that his book raises.

And as you say, Heylin was also presented with the opportunity to hear the archive. He hasn't given an indication we missed anything vital (and he got several opportunities to write about what he learned) , though he (as with Sid) might have been under professional constraints as to what they could publicly discuss.

Damn.

asdf35 likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Another rumination, this time on One Man's Loss

There was a big expectation, and let down, with the long unheard track Wild Wolf. I think it's only natural that we all wanted another Dylan classic. But for me, I've come to discover the not so lost One Man's Loss! I think it's a wonderful number, with a strong refrain. It comes before the bulk of the "main" songs, and gets lost in the shuffle, but I find it a good song.

It was actually "lost" on me for a while, as I had acquired a messed up set of Tree Without Roots that accidentally duplicated Be Careful the Stones That You Throw and omitted One Man's Loss. So I only first heard when rebuilding and upgrading my Basement collection based on GetRhythm's notes.

asdf35 and RayS like this.
  18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

One Man's Loss is a great little number - one of so many!

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

But: Love You Make = Love You Take
    Although: One man gathers what another man spills
    :)

20. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been answered but I was wondering now that I have the Bootleg Series Basement Tapes Complete CD box should I sell my original Scorpio Tree With Roots ? Are all the tracks on Tree With Roots included in the Bootleg Series release ?

21. There's nothing of any significance on Tree With Roots that isn't also on the Bootleg Series set. One off-the-cuff harmonica-based instrumental is about all I can think of, though there's also less editing of between song banter and the like, as well as the full version of "See You Later Allen Ginsburg".

The main reason to hang onto Tree With Roots for most I would think is the wide-stereo presentation of many of the tracks, most of which were mixed into a much narrower "skewed stereo" on the Bootleg Series release (not really to my liking personally). In fact, for me by far the most optimum sonic presentation of this material has been the recently released Garth Hudson mono-mixed OPM release of the original 14-song demo. Oh for the whole gamut of this material to be presented in similar fashion...

revolution_vanderbilt and timnor like this.
  22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

As someone mentioned, check the soundtrack to I'm Not There. The song of the same name got its first official release there. Compare that to the mastering on the Bootleg Series 11. The BS11 mastering is limited and folded in, the soundtrack version is very wide stereo with no limiting, and it's even much quieter than the other tracks on the same soundtrack album. Compare it the Tree with Roots bootleg too - the soundtrack not surprisingly used a cleaner and better sounding source.

asdf35 likes this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

So based on what we know now, how did "Silent Weekend" leak out when everything else from that range of recordings stayed securely unheard? Did the Fabroni recordings simply ignore all the other great material on these reels?

asdf35 likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I just noticed that the Johnny Cash/BD version of "One Too Many Mornings" used the same basic approach of Johnny Cash singing the first verse, and Dylan taking over on the second. Which matches the approach taken with Richard Manuel on the Basement Tapes version.

Coincidence? Maybe. They're very different renditions. But it's interesting to wonder if the earlier BT performance informed the later recording.

Dflow likes this.
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

DT, I think informed might be a little too highfalutin' a word to apply to the rather shambolic Dylan/Cash sessions. YMMV, of course.

DeeThomaz likes this.