Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song (1960) SACD from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rxcory, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent Thread Starter

That and by '60 the Capitol mono and stereo mixes we no longer miked differently like they were in the early years. All the more reason to go for stereo.

.crystalised. likes this.
  2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I hope the higher price means we're getting the stereo/3-channel/mono treatment, as with the initial round of NKC SACDs.

3. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Exactly. I won't mind paying 33 bucks for a properly mastered SACD. Hopefully they take the same care Steve did the other NKC SACDs are fantastic. I'm really thrilled about this release. This and "A Jolly Christmas" by Frank are my two go to LPs at Christmas I grew up on both of them. I'm waiting for them to release a track list to see if there are bonus tracks.

Benno123, Get2Me, Kkfan and 1 other person like this.
  4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I agree. Normally I would never pay 33 bucks for a Cd, by anyone (I'd buy the used vinyl for 10) but in this case, I dont mind if this album sounds the way it can. This and The Lettermen's "For Christmas This Year" are my favs.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am very excited about this release.

Simon A likes this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Still no official confirmation or word on the track list?

7. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Well, nothing more than what Blair G reported:

That sounds like a confirmation ... but nothing yet on what's to be included. So keep thinking good thoughts!

Hey, the way I look at it, considering Steve's track record with Nat's catalog, this should be an awesome sounding release - regardless of whether there are any bonuses or not. We are not privy to what it takes to pull these releases off. I'll be happy with whatever they give us.

Clark V Kauffman and mmars982 like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this album is probably my all time favorite Christmas album! reminds me of my Mom who loved it so much.

rxcory and therockman like this.
  9. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Mine is Bing's "Merry Christmas" - just a ton of memories associated with it. It's probably the first record I remember hearing - but Nat's album is in my Top 5. (I have to wonder if a project like this could ever be done on Bing's classic - considering how much was lost the Universal fire.)

Ever year, my wife says, "it ain't Christmas 'til Nat sings!" (And I add..."and Bing!")

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Still waiting on amazon.com. :waiting:

Kkfan likes this.
  11. stereoguy

So do we know definitely who did the mastering on this?

bordons likes this.
  12. stereoguy

>>>>Mine too.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool! what's not to love!

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent Thread Starter

Nat King Cole on Audio Fidelity, must be Steve.

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Will pick up a copy too!

16. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Hell, if Steve is mastering it, I would gladly pay $53 bucks for Nat King Cole, "the Christmas song", on Audio Fidelity. Just saying.

Simon A, Clark V Kauffman and rxcory like this.
  17. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I'd have to say I'm a little suspicious. In the past, whenever Steve has started working on a Cole disc, hasn't he always told the group to get everyone pumped up? Did I miss something? I think no word from Steve = no involvement from Steve. I'm not saying that an SACD isn't going to be released, but I'll wait for you guys to bite before I throw any money at it.

18. stereoguy

Good point.

19. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

But maybe patience will be rewarded.

20. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Just noticed this as a preorder on importcds website. Don't remember seeing a thread.
    This should make a lot of folks happy! Says coming at end of October...

21. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm looking forward to the official word on this release. I'd like to know whether it'll be "The Magic of Christmas" or "The Christmas Song" and as such, which artwork will be used. While I'd prefer "The Magic of Christmas", I suspect that AF will be required to release it as "The Christmas Song" as that has been in print for far longer. I'd also prefer it to be mastered by our Host, but have read elsewhere that he does not master Capitol releases so it is more likely to be handled by KG.

22. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

23. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Cool. Thanks for the image. Looks like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" didn't make it.

Would be cool to get an image of the back.

Hmm... Just pulled this off of cduniverse. Umm....

Christmas Song album for sale by Nat "King" Cole is scheduled to be released Oct 30, 2015 on the Audio Fidelity label. Personnel includes: Nat "King" Cole (vocals, piano); Natalie Cole (vocals); Ralph Carmichael (conductor). Christmas Song CD music contains a single disc.

Reissue producer: Brad Benedict.

Includes liner notes by Dick LaPalm Christmas Song songs.

Digitally remastered by Bob Norberg (Capitol Mastering).

24. Clark V Kauffman

Ehhhhh, for the love of ...
    I don't think they have invented an expletive to express my feelings over this. I think my head is going to explode.
    Bob Norberg?
    And the Nat Cole/Natalie Cole duet version of "Christmas Song" is the one used here?
    And no "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" is included?
    Seriously, Capitol, just how many times, and for how many decades, can you completely f--- this album up?!

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Bob Norberg is retired. They aren't going to use his old mastering on this release. Cd Universe must have just pulled that info from an old description of a previous release.

Galley and rxcory like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.