Is there an all-in-one turntable that doesn't destroy records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MadMelMon, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Re: Crosley ruining records. What part of horrid quality control, klutzy ceramic cartridge with bad quality control and often little compliance, and 6-12 gram tracking force and plastic of bad quality do you think they do. Only for very beat up records and demolition practice. Not fit for records you value or for Stereo LP discs of any kind. Usable for 78 RPM. Once upon a time, there were decent all in ones before they became cheap and very nasty.

2. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

I didn't think the U-Turn had a built in peramp? So need to throw in a basic phono preamp too.

timztunz likes this.
  3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

He could consider an Audio Technica LP120 (or LP60) with line out, and an inexpensive set of powered speakers or maybe a powered soundbar. No need for pre-amp/amp. Very simple.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just thinking of physics, but wouldn't all turntables eventually destroy records?

friction is still friction, no matter how little of it there is it is still there.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

An example visualization/variation:

[​IMG]

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Probably true, but not in just a couple plays.

moogt3 likes this.
  8. krisjay

The sound quality through the onboard preamp would be poor, and it doesn't sound like doing mods is what this OP is looking to do. i'd pass on this option, but that's just one opinion.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Would you be willing to perform this service for us?

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

If determined to go the record route (as opposed to digital), get a unit that allows you to change cartridges/styli, and install a SPHERICAL stylus. Want to destroy a record really fast? Play it on a cheap turntable with a cheap elliptical stylus. Want to PRESERVE records for future use? Play it safe, and get a spherical stylus, such as the Shure M44-g that I use on my "backup" turntable that I use more for fun than for any other reason. My records are totally safe on it.

See this excellent thread started by none other than @Steve Hoffman : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-resulting-groove-damage.202512/#post-5014209 and take special note of the last few sentences in post #1. You can get an M44-g for about $70 online.

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No thats just as damaging imo, the tonearm and parts are similar to that of a crossley and it looks like it uses one of those cheap ceramic needles!

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Nicer. But same junk CEC/Chuo Denki ceramic as Crosley. With the same severely high failure rate. And inconsistent to no QC. Some of them can be not too bad. Many will have such stiff suspensions it will destroy a record groove in one or two plays. Or a channel dead. And no alternative cartridge option.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that these "TEAC" products use the same Chuo Denshi ceramic junk as Crosley.

14. Your point is not lost, nor is it misguided, even if this is technically a thread crap.
    If you would have given a reference to any all in one this would have been a perfect reply.
    I agree with your assessment. While one does not have to high dive into the deep end from the get go, dipping a toe into the vinyl pool is a less than ideal place to begin.

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

So what all in one allows for this?
    I'm totally on board with a conical!

16. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

I'd go this route. The AT LP-120 might be even less expensive. Sure the built-in phono pre is a little dubious, but it's as good as anything you're going to get for less than $50 and it's BUILT-IN which is critical. Only a few wires to connect brings you closer to the all-in-one concept. There are cheaper, or one piece speaker solutions that would work as well, but those Audio Engine speakers are really good.

BTW, a note on Crosley's and other cheap turntables: A red stylus usually means ceramic cartridge and a white one usually means magnetic. The Collegiate and maybe a couple of other models use a magnetic Audio Technica cartridge, but the tracking force is still pretty outrageously high.

Poison_Flour and Burning Tires like this.
  17. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

The same can be said about people who get into tubes just for the sake of getting into tubes. It doesn't puzzle me.
    We all have to start somewhere. :)

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Maybe none; I have no idea! If the answer = none, then the purchase should = none. (IMO, if somebody isn't caring for records, they shouldn't bother playing records.)

19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If she is a beginner then without a doubt an automatic is the way to go. An ATLP60, a Sony STR-DH130, and a pair BIC DV-62s and she'd be all set for a couple of years and give her a fairly solid platform to upgrade the turntable in the future if she wants. Ballpark figure $350-400 for everything.

Rockos and Burning Tires like this.
  20. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

AT-LP60 or one of its many variants - plug and play, automatic, no messing with settings, perfect for a child or beginner
    Polk Audio Bookshelves - excellent performance for price (stay away from the r150 though-had to return, low performance tweets)
    Onkyo 2 channel amp - can be found cheap

Had this setup for one of my sons a few years back. Spectacular sound!!

Burning Tires likes this.
  21. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

22. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Me personally?

I woul get the U-turn basic turntable, the U-turn preamp and a nic epair of powered monitors from Guitar Center that are in the recording equipment section

Burning Tires likes this.
  23. krisjay

24. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

This one was mentioned earlier as well. The problem with this device is that the turntable is nearly identical to the very worst Crosleys. Seriously, you can get a Crosley that is better than this machine.

McLover likes this.
  25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's been my understanding too. While the damage can be minimized via the good equipment that is properly adjusted, eventually there will be damage to the vinyl. One of the reasons I used to copy my vinyl to cassette was to extend the life of my LPs by reducing the damage from playing them.

I've been interested in buying an all-in-one to play my old vinyl records, but after taking a look at the Crosley I gave it a pass. What I will probably have to do is seek out a combination of the following if I want to play my vinyl without seriously damaging it: a good turntable, an integrated amp (with a classic phono input so I can use any turntable), and a set of speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.