New Faces box due August 28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Big Guy, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The following tracks were added to the reissues that were not on Mac's original track listing:

Nobody Knows (take 2)
    Too Much Woman (For A Henpecked Man - Live at the Fillmore) - previously issued on Stay With My Anthology
    Love In Vain (Live at the Fillmore) - previously issued on Stay With Me Anthology
    Glad And Sorry (Rehearsal)

Hep Alien, Flaming Torch and dee like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Good song. Could have used a bit of editing to make it even punchier.

3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is a great box set. Would it be too much to ask that they put the first four Rod Stewart solo albums together (with bonus tracks if there are any) in a similar box?

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They already did. It's a 3 cd set called Rod Stewart Reason To Believe The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings.

They also released a 2 cd set called Rod Stewart Rarities which has some non-lp tracks, demos, alternates, and BBC tracks from the Mercury years.

6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I have that Mercury Set. But I'm talking about a box that collects the albums in their original covers --and each containing bonus tracks, similar to the Faces box. I passed on the rarities collection, but maybe I should reconsider.

Also, can anyone tell me if there is enough Faces BBC material that hasn't been already released to make a good 2 CD set?

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The rarities collection is a viable set housing key rarities for those who do not have the "Rod Stewart Sessions 1971-1998" box set or the "Reason To Believe: The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings" box set. That said, it would not surprise me if there was additional studio outtake material from the early 70's period, along with additional live material from The Faces that could augment each Stewart Mercury album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Way more than enough as long as the tapes aren't destroyed or lost. They have some complete concerts that were recorded for the BBC.

dee and JoeF. like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure Faces live material would work since Rod and the Faces were on different labels, it might cause licensing problems. I'm guessing that may be why the 3 live tracks from Mac's original resissue track listing were dropped. They were all tracks that appeared on Rod's solo albums and not Faces albums.

They might however be able to do something with the Coast To Coast: Overture and Beginners material. Not sure if any outtakes exist or not. They were billed as Rod Stewart & the Faces or something like that and it was released by Mercury and not Warner Brothers.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Rod Stewart Sessions also but I see it appears Rarities collects the same dozen bonus tracks and takes covering his first 5 solo records.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't have Sessions so I don't know if the BBC tracks on Rarities are on that as well.

dee likes this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

No BBC on Sessions that I can tell. Nothing noted in writing. Nothing I remember hearing.

Since the box set was released in 2004 and a 2006 remastering is specified on a few of these while a generic 'remastering' is noted for the others, I guess I will have to give these a listen too. So much work! New release Friday is like working the weekend! :).

John Fell likes this.
  13. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Just got the box set last night...guess I am a Faces fan...who knew :) I had "A Wink..." and "ooolala" before, but the first two albums are really good too.

Now its time to search out Woodys solo albums

14. PacificOceanBlue

There is no BBC stuff on the Sessions box set. I think Country Comforts (BBC) is unique to Rarities. IIRC, the Maggie May (BBC) recording is recycled from somewhere, even though it says it is unreleased on the back cover of Rarities.

Hep Alien and John Fell like this.
  15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The thing with Stewart is that I'm only interested in his 1969-73 work . I guess A Night on the Town is a decent album, but I really have little use for anything that came after that.

Carserguev likes this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

I still need to listen to this box set! Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival took up a lot of listening time earlier.

John Fell likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

I certainly can appreciate that, but there is a lot of good stuff post-1973 (although it isn't for everyone).

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My favorites of the early Ronnie Wood albums are I've Got My Own Album To Do and Gimme Some Neck.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm still waiting for my Faces and Taste boxes. :doh:

20. PacificOceanBlue

The Taste set looks like it is going to be a tremendous box set. Sorry to derail....

John Fell likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some of the demo tracks on disc 4 of the Taste box set have been around on bootlegs.

22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Oh, I'm familiar with his pop and disco-infused music from '77 on up ; I still have some of that on vinyl from when it was current and I have the Storyteller box, but I haven't listened to that stuff in decades. I think his early stuff is among the greatest rock and roll ever recorded, and I wish more people were into it.

23. PacificOceanBlue

Totally agree. Rod's incredible body of work with The Jeff Beck Group, his Mercury solo albums, and Faces albums produced one of the greatest runs in rock and roll history. A lot of people have no idea how important he was.

Hep Alien, jconsolmagno and JoeF. like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And this is true even though "Maggie May" was a massive hit which is familiar to everyone....

25. neil

neil Senior Member

The Faces new box is excellent and some of the outtakes sound great. The Taste box also sounds great, but the BBC tracks are pretty terrible. I don't understand why they included such sub-par BBC when there are stellar sounding boots from the BBC sessions.

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.