What is your preference for Short And Curlies on the Rolling Stones It's Only Rock 'N' Roll lp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

There is an alternate version of Dance Little Sister that has more guitar and I like it better.

Jack likes this.
  2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I like it all right, but only 'like'. Not something I play much at all. Exile..., Beggars..., Let It Bleed, hell even Their Satanic Majesties Request get more spins at my house than IORR. It's a good album, but great it ain't IMO. Has its moments, though.

3. John Fell

I would probably replace Luxury with Drift Away.

RogerB likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

Completely agree. They are too long. But the winner for sheer unnecessary length is Goin' Home from 1966 for me. I'd cut out the entire 8 or 9 minutes of Jagger's grunting and breathing and keep the two or two and a half minutes of tight rnb that bookend the tune.

RogerB and John Fell like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I would replace Luxury with Criss Cross Man.

6. John Fell

That would work for me. :righton: I should have included it as a choice but I didn't consider it since it was recorded at the Goats Head Soup sessions.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Luxury is a great song. I love Keith's massive guitar tone.

Drift Away is terrible. I really don't know why people like it other than it's obscure. This is one of their first poorly-chosen covers that continued into the 90s with Like A Rolling Stone. Before that they had impeccable taste.

tkl7, joelee, TeddyB and 1 other person like this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

That's what hooks me in -- the guitars. Especially on the intro chords. Just a huge sound.

I think it would have been a good choice in that alternate universe where Jagger's enunciation hadn't gone so far into self-parody territory as it did from '73 on. That over the top stuff might work for people on the rockers, but on mid-tempo and ballads it's just...man. Like Angie. For me, beautiful guitar work, melody, words ... then that enunciation. Sheesh.

TeddyB and Fullbug like this.
  9. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Come on Fullbug. We all knew at some point the Stones had to cover Like A Rolling Stone!! It was preordained! It was written
    in the stars! I believe its written somewhere in the book of Genesis!!?? LOL!!!

Besides.......I like the Stones version of LARS !

10. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Agree

Micke Lindahl, sami, TeddyB and 3 others like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Honestly, I'm torn on which way to vote and could not click the mouse. It's like an internal struggle between one side and the other. Good thing they don't let us make such difficult decisions!

12. John Fell

Criss Cross since it was mentioned earlier.

Micke Lindahl, Fullbug and jon9091 like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Pure filler, the kind of throwaway tunes the Stones can come up with in their sleep. And like all their other throwaway tracks, because they are so tight musically, it's great. Love the guitar.

14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

It's one of my all time favorite songs so keep it!

15. jon9091

Yeah, but so was Short and Curlies...as you mentioned. So, CCM should be fair game. :thumbsup:

John Fell likes this.
  16. jon9091

The other problem with having Drift Away on it, is that Ain't Too Proud To Beg is already there...and totally kills it.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Ummm . . . Let's see, which of the Stones seven consecutive #1 albums got its ass kicked by The Captain and Me . . . .

18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I wonder if that was me because I've made that statement before...on another forum. Although an exaggeration on my part I really dislike this song but I'm not a fan of "Drift Away" either and they already included a cover with ATPTB. The Stones had some great songs floating around at this time that they could have used but "Through the Lonely Nights" would have made a nice addition, IMO.

MagneticSouth1966 likes this.
  19. jon9091

I like TTLN...but that effect they have on Mick's vocals ruin it for me. It sounds like he's in a drainage tunnel.

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Agree with everything you said, except the part about covering LARS. "Luxury" is a great song, SAC and DA not so much.

TeddyB and Fullbug like this.
  21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Where do I sign?

John Fell likes this.
  22. Dave Hoos

Actually John, I have to change my vote. I'll still happily omit "Luxury", but replace it with "Criss Cross Man" instead of "Drift Away".

If "Luxury" has to be on an album...why don't we put it on Black And Blue ? It can replace the appalling "Cherry Oh Baby".

John Fell, jon9091 and Fullbug like this.
  23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

You guys! Luxury is one of my favorite tracks in the period between Exile and Some Girls . It couldn't be because you've got the ump about MT not being on it, could it? (I know, more likely Jagger's role playing). :cool:

Don't mind Short and Curlies one way or the other. It's cheeky. Dance Little Sister is top notch filler, and I like that longer version posted above even more. Better mix.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    tkl7 likes this.
  24. Dave Hoos

You're right. It's not because there's no MT. I don't think even his playing could have saved us from Mick's performance. Pity. The music isn't the problem...just the lyrics and the vocals.

John Fell likes this.
  25. That's nuts. The song is a raunchy, fun novelty song. Leave it right where it belongs on IORR.

mschrist, RogerB, AZRunner and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.