Taste Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 out september

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The "rory-on" website has a bunch of info like live dates.
    http://www.roryon.com

This link of the Rory "timeline" includes some live dates:
    http://www.roryon.com/time.html

You might find some other sources for live dates on there as well. The site has a bunch of Rory links on it that might have some other related live dates stuff.

2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hmm, I see it on CDJapan too. Evidently the CD/DVD version is a "limited" Japanese release.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GQBS-90051

I wonder if there is anything extra/worthwhile about getting the Japanese version (I can't tell other than having Japanese subtitles)? I have a bunch of CDJapan bonus points I could use on it if it were worth getting. The Taste boxset on CDJapan appears to be an import though, no different than the regular UK release.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOIMP-11056

4. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

6. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

Looking forward to this.

7. In 1975, Rory toured the US as the opening act for BTO, if that helps. If so, I'm not surprised you remember Rory and not the headliner.

8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

And there's that quote again.
    Is there any source for this ?

9. I doubt it... I've also read that Hendrix said it about Terry Kath.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And Billy Gibbons when the Moving Sidewalks opened for the Experience.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wasn't it also supposedly Phil Keaggy who got named in that quote as well? I think it is one of those urban legend type things that get twisted over time. Maybe Jimi did say it about somebody, but at this point I'm not sure who. It is odd that EagleRock would chose to use it in the ads though, if it was unfounded, although almost any adverts are known for stretching the truth to suit their campaigns.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, he is rumored as well. I don't think the quote has ever been substantiated but if he did say it, I think he was joking with the interviewer.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What would be really funny is if Jimi mentioned all of those guys above - and more - because he had heard that question so many times that he decided to mess with all of the people that ever asked him it again, giving a different response each time.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

So, what are the major differences between this new Taste IOW release (other than expanded track listing) and the old 6 track Polydor set?

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure if the sound is better or not. I guess you could buy the dvd to see the audio footage.

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

And also Randy California?

I've seen that same quote referencing several guitarists, but never seen a credible source for any of them.

I think it's all urban legend. I've been led to understand that Hendrix was quite generous in his praise of other players, but I don't believe he ever made this particular statement about anybody.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Why, was he a generally pretty poor live act in concert?

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Was Dylan & the Band filmed?

19. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

They didn't play the 1970 Isle of Wight.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh. Then never mind. They were at the 1969 fest.

21. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Absolutely not. Look for Terry´s live performances from the era on youtube, and you will be blown away.

22. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

As in the Glastonbury 1971 movie. I know the Taste will be terrific based on the existing performance in the Wight movie (no reference to dancing naked girl during Sinner Boy intended). If Murray Lerner did film every band like he's said to have done, I'll keep waiting for the Mighty Baby dvd. :crazy:

footlooseman likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know he wasn't, but I was simply replying to oddly worded ranasakawa comment.

24. Does anyone know why I'll Remember and Blister On The Moon are omitted from the DVD/Blu-ray?

25. I really doubt that Hendrix had even heard of Phil Keaggy in 1970. Even now, he's not exactly a household name.

That sounds pretty likely, actually.

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.