New Faces box due August 28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Big Guy, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Dont have the new Faces set either, not yet. Listening to 5 Guys audio as sequenced on the bonus disc of the new Faces set instead for now. You Can Make Me Dance always puts a big smile on my face and pep in my step. Love the 'all in' production. I Wish It Would Rain is just sublime! Pool Hall Richard seems like one of the hardest driving rockers they ever stomped on and screamed through. Rear Wheel Skid! Enuff said already.

Hep Alien and JimSpark like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I hope I can fit all of the bonus tracks on a cdr together.

dee likes this.
  3. downer

downer Senior Member

Actually, along similar lines to the way 'Concert for Bangla Desh' was released, 'Coast To Coast: Overture and Beginners' was released by both Mercury and Wraners - Mercucry had the vinyl release rights and Warners had the Cassette release
    rights, which then allowed for the Rod/Faces billing

4. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Ok, the Vinyl Box is starting off great right now. I am spinning the 2nd side of First Step right now after doing a quick comparison with my Original 1C Side 1. Sound-wise the new Kevin Gray cut has loads more mid-range clarity, low end grip, and high end detail without being harsh. The Reissue of First Step is not cut as hot as my original but is a much better listen. What I love the most is how much nicer Ian's playing presented on the reissue, the organ has a really warm grinding sound to it that is not sonically apparent on my original copy. Basically my original sounds murky in the mid-range in comparison to the original. One of the really great things about this Box is that they really did an outstanding job on the Jackets, they are very very nice and true to the original releases best I can tell. I put my First Step jacket next to the Reissue and it is very hard to pick out any differences. The inside of the Gatefold you can see has less picture detail than the original, but who really cares about that anyway. If anyone is on the fence on this one don't hesitate to pull the trigger, this is a very nice set!

jconsolmagno, chacha, sennj and 5 others like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Don't worry. We've all been there.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I assume Mercury has compact disc rights.

7. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I've Got My Own Album to Do is great, but sometimes it seems as though Wood appears as a "guest" on his own album. It's as though you are listening to stray tracks from Mick Jagger, George Harrison and others. I really like Gimme Some Neck. Wood's take on Dylan's "Seven Days" is a classic.

Hep Alien and duggan like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Gimme Some Neck is actually my favorite.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  10. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

On a related note... Did they ever issue a Deluxe Edition The Autumn Stone to complete the set begun in 2012?

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No, still waiting.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

What is The Autumn Stone?

13. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

It'd be nice if they top all of this off with a real live album, like maybe that full Fillmore set in its entirety?

It's is sort of baffling that one of the best live bands of that era doesn't have anything out other than that dodgy DVD from the final tour, which is conspicuously marred by Rod's fashion sense *(reverse nipple freeing leotard)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yes! That is one of the main things that stood out for me on these when I was playing them last night. I was planning to A / B with my UK originals, but quickly got sucked in by that organ sound and just sat back and enjoyed the experience of these excellent remasters. I'm very pleased with this set.

Did the US First Step reverse the image on the inside of the gatefold, or is this an error in the new version?

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Small Faces compilation released between their demise and the start of the Faces...

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Has anyone compared the new vinyl box version to the 2010 Rhino/RTI pressing of "A Nod Is as Good as a Wink.."?

17. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I never heard of WOW HD before. A little research shows they are sketchy at best with a lot of negative reviews about taking payments without delivering.
    Thirty US dollars might be the best price, but I'll pass.

18. Wade Burrow

Did the US First Step reverse the image on the inside of the gatefold, or is this an error in the new version?

Yes it did actually! This jacket is consistent with the US 1st Press

e.s. likes this.
  19. Wade Burrow

A Nod is Good as a Wink sounds amazing! Compared with my Mint 1st Press German it has a more open 3D quality to the sound. I honestly didn't think my German could be beat, but this reissue is beating it I think. Which kind of hurts since I paid 60 smackeroos for it. One thing I will say for the German is that Ronnie's guitar has a more warm in your face sound that I prefer to the reissue but on the whole I can't deny that the Reissue is a better balanced, open, and has a deeper sound stage.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In the meantime, I am just happy to have the title track, Autumn Stone, on the Steve Marriott compilation, "Tin Soldier." To me, that track is one of the great Small Faces recordings ever produced.

21. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I noticed on the the tracklist sheet the first album is now called The First Step. I think it's a shame there is not a booklet with essays and photos included in the box.

I think my favorite version of Memphis (after Chuck's O.G. version and Johnny River's version) is the Faces version.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Hep Alien and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Thank you!

Wade Burrow likes this.
  23. moops

moops Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Just wanted to chime in and say that - personally - I'm thrilled with the CD release of this set.

Sure, it's not as lavish as the Five Guys box, but at half the price I paid for that earlier set (in the UK at least) I wasn't expecting the same level of presentation.

Still looks pretty nice, though, and the repro sleeves (while not Japanese mini-LP quality) are at least a step up from the blurry digital facsimiles of the Original Album Series sets and their ilk.

And, more importantly, they sound fantastic to these ears on my (relatively modest by forum standards) system. Those who find mid-2000 Rhino remasters on the bright or compressed side might want to sample before they buy, but I've got no complaints.

My guess is the suits at Warners wanted to find a way to make a bit of cash from the masters they'd had sitting on the shelf for the best part of a decade before the CD market completely dries up - but IMHO this is a worthwhile set nonetheless.

Just wish they hadn't snipped a couple of bonus cuts from those provisional tracklistings - surely not a licensing issue(?) since there were Faces versions of Rod solo numbers on the Five Guys box.

Hope that's helpful if any of you have been on the fence about picking this up.

Hep Alien and dennis the menace like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.