You Like ONE Album by 'Em and Hate All the Rest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This was almost impossible to answer. Moby Grape was tempting because I love the debut and could barely care less about the rest, but I don't necessarily hate those records.

In the end it was Blood, Sweat & Tears, partly because they became a different (and much worse) band after Al Kooper left. A shame because the one album he masterminded very nearly accomplishes everything he set out to do, and his ambitions for this music was pretty grand.

peachyg72, jkauff and glewes like this.
  2. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Of course I've listened to all Gary's solo stuff....well, up until the early 90s or so. Even interviewed him at the time of either "Who I Am" and "First Signs of Life" (pretty sure it was "First Signs of Life").....and while "hate" is probably too inflammatory of a word, I've been totally indifferent to his albums pre-and-post "Dream Weaver"....

His first two--"Footprint" and "Extraction"--are pretty bland to me, like third-tier albums, despite the amazing backing talent he had recording with him. Kind of generic stuff that other people I like have done much better for my tastes. His post-"Dream Weaver" stuff was even worse to me.

With "The Dream Weaver" album I think he really pulled off a GREAT album that I still love listening to today. "I Can't Find The Judge," "Much Higher," "Power of Love," "Blind Feeling," and even the pop bliss of "Let It Out," plus the two hits and it's a great, great pop/rock album.

Super nice guy, a real gentleman, but for whatever reason, I just never liked any of his other albums....and I TRIED, really really tried at several points, but just didn't work for me....But loving one album from someone as much as I do "The Dream Weaver" is more than I can say about thousands of other bands :)

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I only like Derek and the Domino's first studio release. :D

JLGB likes this.
  4. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

The Who - Who's Next

It was my first "rock" LP purchase, and I still like every song on it today, although I may not listen to it as much as I used to. Not a song on there that I don't like or that I would skip over.

However, I really don't care for anything else they did before or after that. Not to the point of "hate it" but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to Sell Out, Meaty, Tommy or Quad, etc.

I like some of the singles off the other albums, like Magic Bus, Join Together - but not entire LPs.

5. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I like them both better than any hip hop they did. I prefer the first one, The In Sound From Way Out, but both are great.

6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds.

pickwick33 likes this.
  7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

The Cure's first album is a stunner. Then...

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Beach Boys - a greatest hits compilation that I play every 10 years or so
    Dire Straits - Live At The BBC

dino77 likes this.
  9. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Electric by the Cult

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

How wonderful , another hate thread

11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Social Distortion's 'White Light, White Heat, White Trash' is the only album I like from them - and it's a good one. Do not 'hate' their other output at all, but nothing else has stuck when previewing.

12. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I wouldn't use the word hate, exactly... but I like Queen II, and find their other albums kind of embarrassing.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Weezer's "Blue Album". I bought this in 1995 and immediately thought it was a classic. IMO, every song on it is a 'hit' of sorts, there is no filler. Probably the third best album of the 1990s, I still play it pretty regularly.

But everything else by them is, IMHO, dreck. Have disliked every album since.

14. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Motley Crue. First album is great - punk/power pop/70s glam-ish. The rest of their catalog - blechhh

Rev. MIke likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Funny, that's the only one I have a hard time getting into. A bit too straightforward and generic compared to their other albums. You might want to try some mid-period albums (for instance: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Signals) which are no less technically challenging than their other work, but are surpisingly accessible.

16. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I love the s/t or "Brown" album by The Band; a true classic album with at least 6 FANTASTIC songs and great performances. But I never liked one of their other albums. The sound and playing on Big Bink makes me nervous, on many of the other albums there are a few nice tracks (The Rumor, Acadian Driftwood), but I find them mediocre, certainly compared with the one they recorded in the pool-house!

17. music4ever

music4ever Forum Resident

Yes: 90125

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Brooooce,Tunnel Of Love and I'm not even sure about it. In just the past few months I've run into a surprising number of other music people and record collectors who say they can't stand BS. Don't know if that's a more recent thing or not but didn't he used to be considered a Rock god who could do no wrong ? I never got the Broooce thang as far as recordings but the great energetic live shows I understand.

19. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Scissor Sisters self-titled. Their other albums do nothing for me.

peachyg72 likes this.
  20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Marian McPartland thought they were good enough to guest on Piano Jazz.

21. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Bill likes this.
  22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Television, Marquee Moon.
    X, Los Angeles.

23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Erm... this example is two, but I feel it should count - Joe Jackson. Look Sharp and I'm The Man are great and cool. After that... :hurl:

24. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Pearl Jam - Ten

I loved this album at the time, and was anxiously waiting the follow up, but when Vs. came out I hated it and never gave them another listen.

AZRunner likes this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

His first two are awesome. His best work outside of Spooky Tooth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.