Judas Priest - Last Rose Of Summer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member Thread Starter

Now that the summer is winding down, I just played this song (it popped into my head in the songs with long fade outs thread)

I think this is an incredible song by Judas Priest and I really wish they still had this sort of versatility in their sound. The lyrics are very melancholy but also have hope if that makes any sense. Rob really had one of the greatest voices not only in metal but of all time.

AceFrehleyJr, Opeth, Spot778 and 24 others like this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

It's funny, but "Last Rose of Summer" *never* fails to come to mind at this time of year. I love this song too!

Northwind, piepants, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  3. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

I'll admit that I typically skip this and head for Dissident Aggressor or Call For The Priest, but it's a good little ballad here that shows Halford has a soft side and not just a hard gay side (listen to Raw Deal)

4. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

Fantastic song from a fantastic record! Simon Phillips is phenomenal on this record!

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like more heavy stuff like Dissident Aggressor, but it's a nice song. Great album, anyway.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

While I did dead lifts today and listened to Sin After Sin and the first half of Stained Class.

Totally agree, Last Rose of Summer and Here Come The Tears are REAL ballads, the kind that just aren't created anymore (even by Priest). Makes sense though, they were babies at the time, still trying to figure out what 'Judas Priest' was. It's not really even experimenting at this stage of a bands' career because they haven't hit on the formula. Sin After Sin is my favorite Priest record. True ballads, starts with Sinner and ends with Dissident Aggressor!

7. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Love that song. Hate what priest bacame afterwards

Rufus rag likes this.
  8. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I've recently discovered this album/song and it's a great track worthy of it's own thread. Pure Yacht Rock gold!

Fullbug likes this.
  9. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Ditto. Late August always reminds me of this song. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.

M321115 likes this.
  10. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Yacht Rock? I don't think so. :wtf:

11. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

Absolutely one of Priests greatest songs. It's really unlike anything else in their catalog.
    It brings back a lot of memories.

12. ModernDayWarrior

I still think they had great stuff after this. Their 70's material will always be my favorite. They started falling (or inventing) to many of the metal cliches by the time the 80's rolled around however.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

A beautiful song!

M321115 likes this.
  14. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I think Sin After Sin was a way underrated album, I liked it upon it's release. I also liked the Last Rose of Summer, a great ballad.

sound chaser and M321115 like this.
  15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Those first three Priest albums - Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings of Desiny, and Sin after Sin - showed a band progressing in leaps and bounds, but when they came to record Stained Class in late 1977, the producer that the record company gave them (one Dennis Mackay) insisted on tightening the band's songs, making them shorter, more forceful, more direct, and subsequently trimming away the more eclectic progressive elements that made those earlier albums so great. This more direct approach gave them their huge arena-headlining success in the 1980's but also robbed them of that special something they had between 1974-1976... still, that direct approach did ultimately lead to Painkiller, which to my ears is still the single best straight-ahead heavy metal album ever made, bar none, there's no musical diversity 'cause none is needed nor required, it's an absolute firestorm of an opus they'll never be able to equal much less exceed.

At least they tried something different and diverse with Nostradamus, but when they did, loads of fans moaned it was TOO different... some people, right?

16. Mister Keith

Mister Keith Chillin'

Love this song. Thanks for reminding me.

M321115 likes this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Halford still can pull off the ballad. This song alone is worth getting the new album. Halford's voice is still a wonder, those that complain it aint what it was, you try doing what he does at his age. The fact Priest are not in the Hall Of Shame is a joke.

18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Last Rose is a good song; one of my faves from this album (along with Raw Deal, which, despite the subject matter, I feel is unfairly maligned). I think I'll give Sin After Sin a listen tonight via the 2012 Japanese remaster :agree:

19. ModernDayWarrior

What's the best version of Sin After Sin to get on CD? I have to admit that I've never owned this one on disc before.

20. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Whatever you do, DO NOT get the remastered version... not just of Sin After Sin, of any Priest album in that notorious series, they're brickwalled and compressed to blarney and will make your ears bleed. If you can find it, get either an original vinyl or CD edition, they sound pretty good all things considered.

21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Sin After Sin is a great album.
    I'm still flabbergasted that some people were shocked when Rob came out of the closet in 1998 when it was already put out there with a track like 'Raw Deal' in 1977

22. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I just googled the lyrics to Raw Deal. Dang. After all these years I had no idea what the song was about. I probably didn't understand half the lyrics, just thought it was about Rob gettin' a drink in a bar....:eek:

23. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Sin after Sin is my favorite Priest release.

the reverb on the kick drum (opening section) -- Roger Glover (and Simon Phillips) genius.

So much variety here. Best drummer they ever had, and every lick from Glenn/KK reaching to the stars in search of their destiny (to be stars some day).

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

sin after sin is one of the bands best albums

ian christopher likes this.
  25. Its a classic album.
    Lovely song...but I actually prefer Here Comes The Tears of the two ballads.
    They gained plenty as they streamlined for the 80's...but lost something special too.

ian christopher likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.