The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Now that darkness has fallen......

[​IMG]

bluemooze, rxcory, Cactus Bob and 9 others like this.
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks for the tip - I love that recording and don't currently have a mono mix, so I may well go for it.

smilin ed and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Now onto a recent discovery for me:
    [​IMG]
    JAZZ ABROAD featuring Roy Haynes and Quincy Jones (Emarcy, recorded in 1953-4). Despite what the cover and title imply, Haynes and Jones aren't working together here, rather each got one side of the original LP (I have a Japanese mini-LP sleeve CD reissue).

For the first four tracks, originally on LP side 1, are Jones', and he leads an all-star group: Lars Gullin baritone sax, Art Farmer trumpet, Jimmy Cleveland and Ake Persson trombones, Arne Domnerus (he of the perennial audiophile favorite JAZZ AT THE PAWNSHOP) alto sax and clarinet, Bengt Hallberg piano, Simon Brehm bass, and Alan Dawson drums.

Then on the last four tracks, original LP side 2, Haynes leads this line up: Ake Persson trombone, Bjarne Nerem tenor saxophone, Sahib Shihab (still listed as Ed Gregory at this point) baritone and alto saxophone, Adrian Acea piano, Joe Benjamin bass.

The order of the day for both groups is relaxed, creative blowing. A particularly good one for fans of jazz baritone, with two under-recognized masters in Gullin and Shihab in top form.

bluemooze, rxcory, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Fantastic SACD. Great late-night tunes.

rxcory and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  5. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS / CARAVAN / RIVERSIDE / 1962 / KEEPNEWS COLLECTION CD

Personnel: Freddie Hubbard (t), Wayne Shorter (ts), Curtis Fuller (tb), Cedar Walton (p), Reggie Workman (b), Art Blakey (d)

[​IMG]

7. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Dreaming of Sun & Surf...I know it exists somewhere in the world,

Art Pepper - "Surf Ride" (recorded in 3 sessions 1952-54)
    (Savoy/Denon CD 1991)
    [​IMG]

8. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Jason Moran - Ten

Jason Moran, piano
    Tarus Mateen, bass
    Nasheet Waits, drums

[​IMG]

9. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

10. AxiomAcoustics

The Speakers Corner is available, and ready to ship. Thanks for mentioning it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

cds23 likes this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

That piece is installed in the park near my house now.

[​IMG]

:laugh:

rxcory, Cactus Bob, Marzz and 8 others like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

NP: Unfortunately, not the new AP. Yet.

[​IMG]

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Nice post! I have a few Jim Hall/RonCarter titles including the Concord title above and they really had a simpatico relationship. Both are such great listeners that it isn't surprising I guess. I didn't always appreciate such subtleties.

DrJ likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

15. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

On the TT! Beautiful original pressing. One of the most beautiful versions of "I Can't Get Started" ever recorded!

[​IMG]

16. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

[​IMG]

More Knuffke

Bobby Buckshot, bluemooze and DrJ like this.
  17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Nice - I'd never seen that cover art! I have the CD reissue on Blue Note which looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Great stuff, either way!

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Classic West Coast jazz. Just in case any other folks out there are as obsessed with Art Pepper's recordings as I am, there was a Denon Japan 2 CD set called THE COMPLETE SURF RIDE PLUS. Cover art looks similar to the original:
    [​IMG]
    and here's the back tray card with track listing and other info:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for posting on this one, it's been a long time since I listened to the COMPLETE set, will trot it out today.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

20. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1981 German pressing with Kenny Wheeler on flugelhorn and cornet, Steve Dobrogogz on piano, Arild Andersen on bass and Paul Motian on drums

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Now listening to:
    [​IMG]
    Red Mitchell Trio, ONE LONG STRING (Mercury, recorded in Paris in February 1969). This was made shortly after Mitchell's relocation to Sweden in 1968. It's a recording I was completely unaware of until this Sunnyside (UMG) CD reissue from 2007. It's valuable for several reasons but especially for providing extensive early documentation of the brilliant pianist Bobo Stenson, long before his string of outstanding releases on ECM - and the fine drummer Rune Carlsson rounds out the trio. This is creative and original yet highly accessible jazz. A reasonable point of comparison - both in terms of overall quality level and in the group's ability to strike a balance between adventurousness and lyrical accessibility - would be Denny Zeitlin's 1960s recordings for Columbia (collected in a Mosaic Select box). That good! A further bonus is the fresh material - all originals by the players except "Stella." Remastering is nicely done too, allowing the seemingly very good original recording to shine through with full detail and dynamic range. A minor quibble would be that Mitchell is well up in the mix, in my opinion a bit too far, but hey it was his group after all (give the bassist some!).

And, man, like, dig that cover art (and the togs) - groovy, baby, totally far out...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  22. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

It's the '62 pressing with a different cover. Same beautiful music.

DrJ likes this.
  23. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

24. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

On the TT! Conspiracy!! Nice original pressing.

[​IMG]

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member