Beach House - Depression Cherry (new album out 8/28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryan, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

So I finally get a response back from Sub Pop, when asking weather there was a separate master made for the vinyl, and here is what they said:

"This record is definitely a bit more raucous with some of the sounds than previous releases, but it is definitely how the band intended for the record to sound. Obviously vinyl is always going to sound a bit warmer and cut some harsher frequencies out, but if you're as unhappy with the album as you hear it now (which is only a 320K mp3), I'm not sure that it would be so drastically different on vinyl as to change your mind."
    I guess that means no.

2. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

I ordered the album when it was at $8.99 for a few hours the other day (before they made it $8.99 for Prime members today) and today I got an email of a delivery date change to Sep 9-21. Laaaaaaaaame

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

You could pick it up in your local Best Buy for $8.99.

4. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

but then I have to go inside a Best Buy

5. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Picked up a white copy at my local. I really love the velvet cover(I got a velvet poster that I don't need as well from my store). The white vinyl is marbled a bit with some black. Doesn't bother me one bit but I know others like to complain about that. :) It's just like the Sleater-Kinney deluxe white from sub pop. It plays just fine.

Just like other Beach House albums I think it's going to take a few listens to let this one sink in but I will say I do like the more stripped down sound on this. It's going to get a lot of plays from me.

6. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Gaah, I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it. When I bought my CD last night, PREX was out of them - said they only got two of them or something. :cry:

7. Fla-Vor-Ice

Fla-Vor-Ice Forum Resident

8. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

dang dude I'm pretty jealous about that poster, would make a nice minimalist feature on a listening room wall. dope freebie.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

One flipper offers the white US "Depression Cherry" on thE bay for a whooping 400$!!! Not sure if any self proclaimed hipster is ready and willing to go THAT far but...

Since my preordered US pressing still hasn't arrived I also ordered the white EU pressing which is also vanishing quickly. Going to pick this up tomorrow.

10. everton

everton Forum Resident

I don't know what Beach House think of their fans. A few years ago, I went to one of their shows (after Bloom had just come out). The band did really take their time before they came on to the stage (We had to wait for two and a half hours...Sure, there was an opening band...But two and a half hours?...Give me a break). During their show, they talked a bit with the audience. But then after the last song, they just left the stage. No Thank You. No Good Night. No anything. They probably thought that that was cool. But I found it to be unappreciative of them.

It's just as well that Depression Cherry turns out to be a faint imitation of Bloom.

11. That's not very appealing. I was just about to buy tickets for a show here in Copenhagen...

12. everton

everton Forum Resident

It may have been just a one-off incident. If you haven't seen them before, don't let my experience discourage you from going. But in my opinion, Depression Cheery is a poor album. It is basically Bloom without melody. Even without my previous experience, I wouldn't pay to see them sing those songs.

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  13. I haven't listened enough to Depression Cherry to make up my mind, but I definitely wasn't convinced of its greatness after just one listen. I loved Bloom, though. I think I'll just buy those tickets and give them the benefit of a doubt. It's a small venue (which I prefer), and I'd really like to experience them in a live setting.

14. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

It might just be the euphoria of having a new album by a favorite group, but I think "Depression Cherry" is breathtakingly good. It sounds to me like it makes some very slight but very effective adjustments in the pop direction. My favorite "sleeper" track is "Bluebird", which has some nice, contained atmospherics in its sound.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

That's just text from the CD credits that they didn't bother to change for the LP inner sleeve. Fairly common (lazy) practice these days. Greg Calbi hasn't cut vinyl for years now. Usually Ray Janos does vinyl cuts for CDs that Calbi masters, but I don't see his initials or "Sterling" in the dead wax.

Not sure who did master it, as my clear copy is kind of hard to read, but maybe someone with a black or white copy can help us out? I will say though, this is mastered way better than Bloom was! I don't feel the need to reach for the volume knob (to turn it down) once during Depression Cherry, which is a good barometer. My clear copy is also pressed pretty well.

I am enjoying this more than Bloom so far. Never was in love with that one. Cherry is slightly front-loaded for me, as side A has probably all of my favorite tracks so far. Will definitely be in regular rotation for a while.

16. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Ah, go ahead and check them out. I saw them at Bonnaroo a few years back and it was one of the best performances of the weekend. They were very kind to the audience as well and clearly taken aback. Can't dispute what others say, but you shouldn't include an opening band's set and breakdown as wait time from the headliner...

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

I like their albums, but it seems like they'd be a really boring live band. I've read that both members sit down for the entire performance.

18. everton

everton Forum Resident

Perhaps your experience is different. I have attended quite a few shows in my lifetime. Opening act generally do not spend more than 45 minutes. If you don't think two and a half hours are excessive (even with an opening act), you have stronger legs than mine.

19. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

A quick look on YouTube proves that's not the case.

20. Neonbeam

Two and a half hours is Pete Doherty style:) Personally I would find it annoying if a concert with ONE support band is scheduled for eight and the main act starts at half past ten. But it does happen....

21. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

I'd strongly suggest that if you like the band, go see them and make up your own mind. I've seen then three times and never found anything untoward. They're quite good, for what they are. Now, if prerecorded music at a show bothers you, that might be a different issue. But I've generally found them to be a good live act.

22. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I'm a little late providing more details I received after talking to a manager at the venue (who confirmed it was the tour/band management doing the setlist snatching). From there I sent a tweet to the band that went unanswered. I then decided to email their management after a phone call to Beach House's management did not help because everyone working close enough to the band was out on tour with them (but checking email). So I took a shot there.

I detailed the situation I witnessed and threw out some theories. One of them turned out to be correct (that they don't want early show setlists posted to the Internet from an official source like something taken from the stage so early on in the tour). Here's the reply (below in quotes) which came back very promptly.

And as an aside (regarding the post of them taking the stage late on another tour), they were prompt that night I saw them last week and seemed friendly with the crowd. I enjoyed everything about the show except for the setlist incident.

"You hit it on the head, they just want to keep the setlist a little hush right now as it's very early in the touring cycle (album isn't even out!) and once things are online it's hard to eliminate. Things will loosen up but for now they are trying to keep the shows special and private."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    matt79rome89 likes this.
  23. Cherry is a beautiful sounding and looking record. I played the Bee Gees Odessa right afterwards. Was in a red velvet cover mood.

[​IMG]

24. Neonbeam

...not entirely successful;)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/beach-house-2bd6e81a.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  25. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Great to see "Wild" and "PPP" on that early setlist, a couple of new favorites. Really enjoying the record! :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.