Hi-Res on Flashdrive

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Terry, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member Thread Starter

I have been transferring some of my FLAC files to a flash drive; however, during playback, I'm missing either the song's first second or a fraction of a second. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

You probably need a better flash drive. No such problems on my SanDisk Cruzers.

3. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

What are you using to play the files back from the USB?

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member Thread Starter

My Sony receiver.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

A USB flashdrive does NOT do gapless playback, but other than that there is no problem here with my flashdrives plugged into my Oppo.

6. bleachershane

USB flashdrives don't do playback of any sort, they're just a storage medium. These issues all tend lie with the invidual playback device and how it reads and buffers the data from the USB drive.

wolfram likes this.
  7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

USB flashdrive is still incapable of gapless playback, so what difference does it make?

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If I stick a USB flashdrive in my computer and use Foobar as playback software, I get gapless playback. So it's not a problem of the storage medium.

9. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Not to derail the thread, but any idea why I just get an error message when I try to plug a Usb stick (or external hard drive) into my oppo?

10. bleachershane

If I plugged a USB pen into a device that was programmed to forward read and buffer the next track and therefore implement gapless playback (in the same way that certain software is capable of doing so from any storage medium, USB pen or not) then it would work.

The point I'm making here is that this issue probably lies with the OPs playback device and the way it handles files read via it's USB storage device, OR, it's an incompatibility with the specific USB pen he is trying to use. I would try a different brand with a different specification to see whether this is a playback device or storage device issue.

wolfram likes this.
  11. bleachershane

How are these devices formatted? It could be an incompatibility with the format type (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc).

12. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

I use a USB flashdrive sometimes and it can do gapless playback, depending on what you plug it into.

13. bleachershane

You got in there before me.

wolfram likes this.
  14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Good point. Now where's the guide to this oppo? Need to look it up.

15. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

It could also be your receiver taking a second to determine the digital codec it's receiving...

Does it happen on every track or just the first one?

16. bleachershane

Very few devices I've had experience with will read NTFS, it nearly always has to be FAT/FAT32, but again it is device dependent. Hope this helps! One other thing, most devices will not read hard drives partitioned over 2TB, you need to create smaller partitions (e.g. split a 3TB external drive into two approximate 1.5TB partitions).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    c-eling and Tom B like this.
  17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

I listen to most of my (WMP ripped) music using .WAV, FLAC and DFF file formats on a flash drive plugged in to my OPPO 105.
    Once I tell the OPPO.........I get gapless playback with no issues.
    I guess, as mentioned above.......it's dependent on what you are plugging into.

Cheers

bleachershane likes this.
  18. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I am almost certain that the problem is with the receiver and not the flash drive. Some receivers and DVD players are not coded to do gapless playback of music files. Sometimes a firmware upgrade will take care of it, but some companies see it as more trouble than it's worth. I have a Cambridge Audio Blu-Ray player that doesn't do gapless playback and Cambridge does not have any plans to address it with a firmware upgrade. The issue is most definitely not with the flash drive.

bleachershane likes this.
  19. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I've been playing my FLAC music files on a Pioneer Elite A/V Receiver and it does gapless playback.

20. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If this start delay happens on every song, including the first one, it's not a gapless playback issue. I still suspect a drive controller issue, with slow initial read times being the culprit. The receiver could be starting decode/playback before it has the data if it has no buffer.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

What model do you have? My Oppo 105 plays music and movies from USB sticks (FAT 32) just as well as from my 4tb hard drive (NTFS).

22. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Glad to know this. I sometimes play new downloads or cd rips this way before I transfer to music hard drive and wondered how to fix the gapless problem. Now I know it can't be fixed. Thanks.

23. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

I have the same problems some times. I play back and half of the song is currupted, what i think it could be is i have a habit of doing other things during file transfer like updates or just browsing and once in a while on some site it freezes so i think that does something. So now when i transfer i dont do anything else and it seems to work for me.

24. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Mine's the older DV-970HD. I changed a USB stick to Fat 32 and now it works. My big external hard drives are NTFS and they don't seem to work (and I'm not sure I want to convert as that'll delete all and although it's doubly backed, it makes me nervous!).

jkauff and bleachershane like this.
  25. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I think you might have missed all the posts between his and the bottom of the thread.

bleachershane, Linger63 and MrRom92 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.