Ingrid Bergman is 100 today!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Sometimes the thin skinnedness of people really disturbs me. The comment about her clawing frantically on her coffin made me laugh out loud. Get a grip man, it's just some people having fun on an internet message board.

I would be more worried about a guy who celebrates an actresses' birth (and this is someone he has probably never met) 30+ years after her death.

Gaslight, ChadHahn and stepeanut like this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Obviously, then OP didn't start his thread with the intention to be ridiculed or psychoanalyzed.
    If you want to "have fun" or make jokes about dead actresses, start your own thread and go to town.

Eric B. and Karsten like this.
  3. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

It's much easier to piggyback on these kind of threads, but thanks for the suggestion! Go outside. Smile. It'll help.

4. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

As an admirer of the neo-realism movement, I found 'Stromboli' to be almost farcical. To begin with, casting a huge movie star goes against the neo-realist ethos, but that aside, Bergman just towers over everyone in the film.

She plays a submissive wife in her new marriage, but even in the scenes where her husband smacks her around, he still appears to be the weak presence in the frame. Rossellini shoots him from Dutch angles to make him appear dominant, but it is no use. You simply cannot take an unknown and place him in the same frame as Ingrid Bergman and expect him to dominate her. I tried to suspend my disbelief, but with the idiotic facial expressions of the actor playing the husband as he tries to look menacing, I just couldn't.

Like most neo-realism films, the story is somewhat secondary to the setting and mise en scene, but in this case, the film is just poorly written. And it seems as if Rossellini didn't know what he wanted from his actors. However, the backdrop of the harsh rocky terrain of the Stromboli volcano reflects the dire situation of Bergman's character, and offers viewers something of interest to see.

There is one incredible section of the film which focuses on a group of fisherman catching tuna. It plays out like a documentary. It is very intense (and even graphic), but exciting and seemingly very realistic.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    royzak2000 likes this.
  5. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Why can't people have fun and be fans as well. I only caught the last half hour of Gaslight the other night but was still enthralled by her acting. She's one of my favorites.

Chad

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great actress and very pretty!!

7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

And she gave us Isabella.

8. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Truly Morbid.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I watched her last performance as Golda Meir and was blown away. It was excellent.

royzak2000 likes this.
  10. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have many of her films on BR and DVD, always enjoy her performances.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

She was a wonderful actress and a great beauty.... a combination you don't see much of anymore these days.

Speaking of combinations... a couple summers ago I messed around with a girl who looked kind of like a cross between Ingrid Bergman (circa Casablanca) and Miriam D'Abo (circa The Living Daylights). Good times! ;)

budwhite likes this.
  12. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

"We'll always have Paris..."
    :love:

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The USPS and the Swedish post office recently did a joint issue of a stamp honoring Ms. Bergman:

[​IMG]

http://uspsstamps.com/stamps/ingrid-bergman

It's a nice looking stamp, so I picked up a pane recently even though I don't know much about her.

budwhite likes this.
  14. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I was taking a pix of the set I bought the other day to post.I'm not much of a collector but I'll grab a stamp of someone I like,say Hendrix or Batman because,well,its freakin' Hendrix or the Batman.If you haven't seen Casablanca or Gaslight,check them out.Her beauty was only exceded by her talent.
    [​IMG]

Bryan and budwhite like this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

What were you doing, watching me in the shower? That's just plain creepy.

ChadHahn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.