Springsteen's The River - Remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everton, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everton

everton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not up-to-date with Springsteen's reissues. I've just done a search, but couldn't find info on whether The River has been remastered and re-issued. I went to a record store today, and saw a (double) CD of this album with a sticker on it saying "Remastered from the original source tapes". On the back, it has 1980 and 2015 on it. Is this a remaster? Thanks.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yes.

3. everton

Thanks. What do you think of the sound?

4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

The new remastered CD version of 'The River' sounds fantastic. Well worth buying even if you have an older disc!

Only know about the '73-'84 box set. Didn't know it was a stand alone release on CD. The box is worth every penny!

5. everton

OK, thanks. I'll get it tomorrow. I have the old CDs, but have never been satisfied with their sound. In fact, if I remember correctly, the old LPs didn't sound that good either.

DavidD and andy75 like this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's definitely an improvement over the old CD, but don't expect to be overwhelmed.

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think it's a marginal improvement. Recorded in digital, so the potential for a vast improvement was low. The one to get is Wild, Innocent. Remarkable.
    Just my opinion.

Mr. H, Syd Avett and Monosterio like this.
  8. Monosterio

I agree, and I would say Born in the USA is greatly improved as well.

Mr. H likes this.
  9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

But, wait... a "River" box set is rumored to be on the way. I wonder if this will contain the 2014 remaster or an even newer version?

Jerryb likes this.
  10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

After claiming that all the albums in the box were remastered with the revolutionary Plangent process, didn't Columbia clarify that, funny story, the River didn't go through that process?

11. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

That's what makes no sense at all to me. Wasn't most of the reason for a River boxset a remastered River? But that was already done in last years album boxset. I know people are also looking forward to the rest of the set but it seems like a good percentage of the reason for a River boxset is gone.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My understanding is that the Plangent tech is focused on fixing distortion inherent in analog tape recordings, not digital.

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yeah, so....what was the point to reissue The River?

14. Monosterio

Maybe the River box will be mastered with a new process, Pungent, that works only on digital recordings. ;)

jamiehowarth and majorlance like this.
  15. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I think that between out-takes and live material (audio and/or video), there's still plenty to look forward to from a (potential) River boxset.

Jerryb and andy75 like this.
  16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think they're saving Pungent for Working on a Dream. I read in Backstreets that hearing the processed Queen of the Supermarket is like meeting the Maharishi.

majorlance and Monosterio like this.
  17. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

He recorded tons of songs for 'The River'. I would love to hear more too. Maybe they could include the unreleased 'The Ties That Bind' album in such a box? I would love to have a good sounding version of that!

jamiehowarth, jsb! and Mr. H like this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

To digitally remaster a digital recording?

We're just talking here right? Lot of folks seem a bit testy...

majorlance likes this.
  19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Didn't mean to appear testy. After enduring the clinical edge to The River, I was encouraged by the breathless pre-release hype for the box, particularly The River, which still sounds like steel being machined. The OP should save his dough, in my opinion.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

The boot from '94 sounded better than good. It sounded better than the original CD of The River, in fact. And featured the complete unreleased album, with highlights being Cindy, the rockabilly You Can Look, and The Price You Pay with the alternate verse.

andy75, Bill and mark renard like this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I may end up buying the box just so that I can have more shelf space. The copy of The River that I have is in one of the bulky double-door jewel cases.

I would have loved to go for the individual CD remasters if they'd put any thought into the design. I don't really mind that they're not digipaks, which is what I was kind of hoping for, but the fact that the CD trays for half of them are the opaque black plastic ones? I seriously thought Barnes and Noble ordered an older copy of the CD. I was confused as to why it didn't have the Compact Disc logo on the front cover. It said 2015 on the back. Really?

While I'm here - is the standalone version of The River a standard jewel case with two CDs or is it one of those double-door things?

22. everton

Thanks for the advice. The store is selling this CD at a price of 2 CDs for $20 (So I can combine it with another CD).

23. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

I thought that the river was recorded analog and mixed digitally through a very early sony digital mixer? Anyone?

24. everton

The one that I saw at the shop is a standard jewel case.

25. Monosterio

Right, it's one of those slimline double cases. The discs go on both sides of the tray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.