The Rolling Stones "Between the Buttons": US or UK? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scopitone, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I first heard the UK Decca stereo mix when some university student played it on the uni FM station in my town in, I think, 1974. It was an amazing experience to hear it -- like a lost Rolling Stones album. I certainly had never heard them sound like that anywhere else. I loved it instantly. Still do, but prefer the UK Decca mono on that one. So, of course, I had to go with the UK on this poll.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The bootleggers already did it (there is an entire series of these mono CD releases):

[​IMG]

FJFP and OneStepBeyond like this.
  3. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

probably my favourite Stones album , and I definitely prefer the UK version , Let's spend the night together doesn't really go with the rest and without Backstreet girl it's just not the same album

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have a real soft spot for Flowers...the only knock is the early fade-out version of Out Of Time.
    One of the best cut and paste comps ever.

5. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

You are 100% correct. Almost swayed me. BUT since I live in the USA, and the US version was the only version available to me in my local record store when it originally came out. The US is my favorite version..

6. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

UK - artist's intent
    US - some suit's in an office somewhere intent
    Tough choice.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Flowers could have been a lot better and more useful to U.S. fans if they deleted the tracks that people already had on albums and replaced them with tracks like Sad Day, Long, Long While, Who's Driving Your Plane, What To Do etc..

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Actually that is incorrect. In the Stones case, Andrew Oldham and the Stones compiled the U.S. versions with the U.S. fans in mind.

They knew the U.S. fans preferred to have the singles included on the albums so they compiled them accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

And that's what Abcko should give us! Not that Abcko would ever give us anything.

stef1205 and htbomb like this.
  10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Is it something fairly common - a boot to have a barcode? :shh: Some of those 'bonus' tracks, I've never heard before but have heard #19:

Tristero likes this.
  11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

UK version without a doubt. It flows better, I loathe Ruby Tuesday, and Let's Spend the Night Together doesn't fit with the rest of the tracks IMO.

ShallowMemory, FJFP and Man at C&A like this.
  12. fmfxray373

You are looking at Flowers 50 years later..I am looking at it from a teenager's (mine) point of view in 1978 or so. Getting all those Stones records was expensive for me (allowance money); your alternate selections are valid and would make a great expanded Flowers cd if that were possible.

Will the Stones ever get the Abkco stuff back under their control? Sad situation.

13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I love the U.S. version. I bought the original mono red London label when the album was released. It sounds great in mono and is still in near mint condition. I just think it's one of the best collection of songs the Stones ever did. I love all the Vox guitars and amps on this album. Very cool!

Adam9 likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe it's all under Universal now but the Stones still have to clear the Abkco stuff if I understand it correctly.

MHP likes this.
  15. fmfxray373

Did the Stones have a say in Flowers too?

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I assume they did but I don't know for sure. I read in an interview with Andrew Loog Oldham that he said the Stones U.S. albums were not a hodgepodge like the Beatles U.S. lps. He said that he and the band actually took the time to compile the U.S. versions to include the singles with the U.S. fans in mind.

MHP and fmfxray373 like this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Let's just say that there were no barcode readers being used at the market stall I bought my copies from!! :D

Maybe if the price is right?

I guess it will all depend on what future Jody and Robyn Klein see for the company, and whether they think their heirs will want to continue it (ABKCO is essentially a dead label, so all its earnings come from re-issues and licensing). Plus there is the issue of things becoming public domain to consider!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

UK...in mono.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

UK, duh. Why would anyone choose the US version? It's missing two tracks!

:)

20. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

In this case, the US. My dad sent me this album while we were on two different continents. This and an Association LP. I still have the Stones.

21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

:pineapple: :goodie: YES! :goodie: :pineapple:

I would kill for mono editions of Buttons, Aftermath and SMR on SACD.

The (recorded on 3-track) Aftermath album just doesn't cut it in stereo,
    unless you like a rhythm track on one speaker, overdubs on the other, and Jagger's voice in the center.
    Buttons sounds great in mono, nice and punchy, plus a extended version of Yesterday's Papers too boot.

22. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

UK -- Backstreet Girl is one of my favorite Stones tracks, and easily the great "hidden gem" in their catalog. It's also an unusually sympathetic portrait of a young woman from Jagger -- in fact, the cad at the heart of the song could be Mick himself!

But it's really Brian Jones' contribution that makes this song otherworldly, taking it into another dimension. An overlooked '60s treasure.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

UK. Prefer the sequencing.
    Also' beautiful laminated cover.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think the fact that many people have suggestions for a different song line up says a lot about that album. It's not a strong set of songs. The only real interesting moment is "Miss Amanda Jones", which shows a first glimpse of their later "Exile" sound. It took a while for them to find out how to do really great albums. And this is no accusation, it's the nature of the game. Sadly today's music business does no longer offer artists that possibility to really develope their art.

25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

They did, indeed. Compiled by Mick 'n Keef + Oldham during spring 1967.

fmfxray373 and Adam9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.