Motley Crue announce final tour feat. Alice Cooper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I've loved the Crue for 30 years. Still love almost all of their music, liked Saints Of Los Angeles and wish they'd release new material. But I have no interest in seeing them live; too much trickery going on with the sound, although perhaps not enough with Vince. :D

I grab lots of bootlegs but have no desire for much of anything past the Girls Girls Girls tour. Even on the Dr. Feelgood tour they'd lost what made them exciting live, although at least Vince was still trying at that point.

Recently on another board somebody put up a clip of Aerosmith at a corporate function and my comment was 'I hope Dave Roth and Vince Neil were in the front row taking notes'. Both of those guys, in different ways, could improve 100% with just a small amount of effort.

Vince mush mouthing above is indeed an embarrassment! It would be bad form at a drunken club show, let alone at a retirement tour. And they go around talking about 'going out on top'!?!

2. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Yeah, I loved the Corabi album but I have to admit it's pretty much a totally different band. I love metal and hard rock and I feel like I should at least see these classic bands once before they're gone forever. I don't love Motley Crue but I casually enjoy most of the catalog. But it's a real pet peeve when the singer is constantly handing the mic over to the fans to sing the song. What I'm wondering is if the band itself will excite me enough to not give a flip at the show and I'll just go along with it and sing the song or if it'll annoy me enough to bring down the show. Basically, I'm going to need some smoke and mirrors on stage to help me rock out at this show.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

I've never been much of a fan but I did "grow up with them" so I do plan on going to the August 28th show. Along the lines of what you were saying, there aren't many of these kinds of bands still around, doing what they do on a large scale so I want to go for the experience of it more than anything.

Clanceman and Stormrider77 like this.
  4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I saw them back in the 80's four times - Santa Monica Civic just after the Shout At The Devil album was released (which was a great show), the '83 US Festival, The Theater Of Pain tour and the Girls Girls Girls tour. After that, I lost interest. And Vince Neil has always bugged me on a personal level due to killing Razzle, the drummer for Hanoi Rocks who I really liked at the time. Probably another contributing factor - as a part-time DJ at a local hard rock club in the late 80's, I had to play Girls Girls Girls and Wild Side almost hourly and I really got sick of the band along with most of the hair metal genre.

Stallings and GodShifter like this.
  5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I've been attending Motley Crüe shows since the US Festival. Haven't missed a single tour.

YES.....it's worth it. Don't miss. I saw them last year. I'll see them July 22....and I'll see their final show on New Years Eve.

It is a fantastic show. The gogo dancers, the pyro, Nikki is at the top of his game, Tommy is always great, Mick will surprise. Of course Vince isn't Vince of 81', but there's always more scrutiny with the lead singer. He sounds fine. Don't judge by a YouTube clip. Please trust me on that. You WILL be entertained!!

artfromtex likes this.
  6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Saw the Crue a few months back and it was fantastic. One of my favorite bands since childhood but never saw them live. Glad I got a chance.

Clanceman, heatherly and artfromtex like this.
  7. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

That's good to know, I am well aware of Vince's deficits but if the rest of the band and the stageshow smoke and mirrors make up for it, I can still have a good time. I know they have the songs already, just the execution of them that was concerning.

Clanceman likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hm ... I don't know. I saw them once on the Shout at the Devil tour and thought they were great, but that was a small venue and I loved them back then. I can still remember wearing my t-shirt from that concert to school the next day and thinking I was so cool because it had a pentagram on it. But I digress ...

Anyway, you know I love ya Clanceman, but I have to say the videos I've seen of the Crue in concert have been embarrassing. Meathead dudes in the audience and, sorry, kind of trashy rich white chicks in the audience trying to figure a way to groove to basically soulless hard rock. In essence, yeah, I'll admit it: I don't like their fans and I don't respect any of them as musicians. Yeah, I know, Tommy Lee is regarded as a good drummer, but he's too ridiculous for me to take him seriously (the gigantic bass drum, the antics, etc.). Probably not fair in the least, but that's my perception; take it for what you will. I realize this isn't a very popular opinion so I'll take the flames if they come...

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Let me first say that I have a special place in my heart for "trashy rich white (or any other color) chicks" :p

No flames from me for sure. I know your tastes and have followed your posts for some years now. I consider you a friend and have a high level of respect for your reviews, both critical and in praise of many of the artists and bands that "we" both love and loathe. There is bound to be tastes we have that differ.

That's the only way I see it, really. This is a simple case of .......I dig the Crue and you don't. There's no problem in that. You should be able to say all you like or don't like about a band. It's necessary for the discussion here. I'm consistent in that belief. I'd get bored with SHF if every thread was just a fanboy board.

That said, I still love Motley Crüe. As undefinable as Crue is, they are an important U.S. rock and roll band. To me, they aren't a glam band or a hair band. Nikki brought a punk sensibility, and a much older Mars brought an affinity for the blues. Tommy Lee took the drummer hidden behind the kit and brought him out front as part of "the show." Vince Neil's nasally falsetto put the finishing touches on what would become, for me, at the age of 17, a sound unlike anything else I'd heard. This wasn't Sabbath, Van Halen.....lor the Sex Pistols for that matter. They definitely weren't like all the other hair bands of the era either. But, they had a combination of all these influences, and a sprinkling of others as well. I won't call them underrated, but quite possibly underrappreciated.

If I had to point to one guy here as underrappreciated, I'd have to say it's Nikki Sixx. I just think he's a tremendous artist and a creator of some incredible songs. "Too Fast," "Shout," "Theater," "Girls," and "Dr. Feelgood," is one of my favorite 5 album runs a band has ever had.

I do feel strongly that you tube clips of segments of live rock shows give a distorted report of how someone sounds or looks at the actual event. I go to enough shows to form this opinion. I'll see a band, then see a critical thread with posts of YouTube clips and think "man, that's not right, I was there and it sounded good."

I'll admit that Vince has been better in years prior, but I could say that about a lot of lead singers. However, if you actually go to a Motley Crüe show now.....I'd be surprised if you didn't leave feeling entertained. If you like Motley Crüe .....and enjoy the whole catalog, you'll feel like you got your money's worth. Every time I see them it's a bountiful feast for the ears and the eyes.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I certainly expect you to stick to yours. ;)

artfromtex, D.B., heatherly and 2 others like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A kind and measured response. I appreciate it and consider you a friend as well.

I'll just say that I loved the first two Crue records and the Corabi record and leave it at that. I haven't seen MC in concert in over 30 years so what do I know? I'm going off a video I saw several years back that I thought was atrocious so you can take that into account as well. Peace, my friend.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Clanceman likes this.
  11. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

So glad I went, what a show! As much as I love bands that can put on a great concert with no bells or whistles (I.E. Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, etc.) it is a rush to see a concert that is also a "show." My pics from Motley = https://www.flickr.com/photos/22325412@N04/albums/72157655648351064
    And Alice Cooper who opened = https://www.flickr.com/photos/22325412@N04/albums/72157657902838782

12. junk

junk Hellion

Here's a little story...way back...a long time ago...MTV used to show videos of "unknown" bands late at night. I was still in high school...A friend and I were watching and this really cool band came on and played "Live Wire". I thought it was so badass so...I wrote down the name. The next day...I went to a record store who was known for having all kinds of unusual stuff and was always turning me on to cool new things. So I told them I wanted a record by a band called Motley Crue...the one with Live Wire on it. They said they'd never heard of this band. :yikes: This was highly unusual as they always knew everything. They made some phone calls and still none of their people had ever heard of em but...they had some other connections so...They were able to order a copy of the Too Fast for Love album from somewhere in L.A. I don't think they'd even been signed to Elektra yet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  13. junk

junk Hellion

[QUOTE="GodShifter, post: 12544507, member: 32355". I saw them once on the Shout at the Devil tour and thought they were great.[/QUOTE]

I saw them on that tour. I thought they were great. That's the only time I've seen them.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. SizzleVonSizzleton

They're playing here in Edmonton on December 12th and now I'm thinking of going. I can sit up in the nosebleeds for $25 bucks ($33 with fees). I love them on record and would be happy for them to release more new music but have very little interest in them live since 1987. They were never the same after that, and that was the year I saw them for the only time.

But $33, only 10 or so shows from the end? I'm wondering how I can say no.

Incidentally, the only front row seats that are left are $4500 dollars each!!:yikes:

Clanceman likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That's... not good.

"Everybody scream." For a refund.

D.D.

troyvod likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Nice Ron. Glad you dug it. Love the hell out of these guys and will miss them terribly. I've seen 3 shows on this final tour so far. I've had my flight, hotel and tickets for the Final show NYE for months now. But......decided to add yet another one middle of Dec.

If I could, I'd go to every show remaining. A nonstop adrenaline rush every time. I'm having the limited Alister Fiend litho framed now. Ha, I ended up buying most every concert tee. Mötley Crüe concert shirts this tour are some of the best and finest quality ever. Well....I think I'm gonna spin the Theatre Of Pain vinyl reissue right about now. :tiphat:

Thx for the photos.

Ron Mexico likes this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Glad to hear you're leaning towards seeing them. You must be looking at the Meet & Greet w signed guitar? If you want close look for ticket drops a week before.

18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

It seemed within days of seeing them at the US Festival, all of So Cal were on to them. Radio play started getting heavy. I certainly was hooked for good. They were early, after Priest on the Sunday metal day.

I was supposed to be working, passing out box lunches to groups. However I stopped, my jaw dropped and I was in an absolute trance...or state of shocked. By the time the set was nearly finished these ppl were pissed waiting for their food. I made up a story that security held me back.

I mean, I volunteered, being guaranteed that I'd get to see my 2nd favorite band of all time uninterrupted - Van Halen, who I was really there for. However, the band that blew my mind and left me and thousands of others in a state of "what the f**** did I just witness" was indeed Motley Crüe. Burned into my consciousness forever.

junk likes this.
  19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

*BUMP*

Caught the show in New Orleans 9-4-2015. They added a 3rd band(can't recall the name) and moved the show up an hour to 7PM. Alice Cooper came out and did NOT disappoint. Shame he was only given 52 minutes. Motley - well....Vince's voice was in good shape. He did more singing than "sing-a-longs" than the last time I saw them. The stage - OMG, a pyromaniac's dream. This show had more stuff than 4th of July celebrations. The venue upgraded out seats to ones within 30 feet of the stage to the band's right, and the fire - we FELT IT. Great show. Five more shows until they go to Europe. Would LOVE to see the "last" show in L. A. What they and Alice Cooper have cooked up for a finale will be a doozy!

artfromtex and Clanceman like this.
  20. SizzleVonSizzleton

I see Tommy has missed that last three shows due to tendinitis. I know on the first one he played the piano intro of Home Sweet Home and came out and apologized to the crowd. I'd be very disappointed to see them so close to the end of their run without Tommy.

artfromtex and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A couple Motley shows a couple years ago in Prairie Canada had a non-Tommy drummer for some illness/injury reason. Tommy might have come out for a wave. I think it that instance they used someone froma Motley Crue cover band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.