You Like ONE Album by 'Em and Hate All the Rest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Nonsense

AZRunner likes this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Troll:D

Yovra and triple like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I agree, the later stuff is indeed nonsense. :p

4. :laughup::laughup: Physician, heal thyself....

So ignorant about jazz are they that it was obviously mere fluke that people like Wayne Shorter and Victor Feldman agreed to play on Aja. You know who Wayne Shorter is , don't you? Bill Perkins, Ernie Watts, Victor Feldman and Ray Brown all play on Countdown to Ecstasy.

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Hate or even dislike is too strong a word, but I really like the first ELO album and have no interest in the many others.

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Tom Waits' Franks Wild Years

7. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Pinkerton by Weezer.

8. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Easy. The Cars -- The Cars.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

'The Life Pursuit' by Belle & Sebastian; I don't "hate" everything else, but never really loved their early stuff the way everyone else does, got a bit interested around 'Dear CatastropheWaitress' and then this one hit it out of the park for me. I've enjoyed bits from the albums since, but it does feel like its coming down the mountain.

10. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I feel similarly. Nothing has ever quite touched the impact The Life Pursuit had. However, Write About Love was close. Really like that one as well.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Judas Priest ¨Screaming For Vengeance¨

Steve Jones ¨Fire And Gasoline¨

Slipknot ¨Iowa¨

Mudvayne ¨The End Of All Things To Come¨

Asesino ¨Cristo Satánico¨

Brujeria¨Raza Odiada¨

The Offspring ¨Conspiracy Of One¨

Divine Heresy ¨Bleed The Fifth¨

Ozzy Osbourne ¨No Rest For The Wicked¨

Godsmack ¨Godsmack¨

Drowning Pool ¨Sinner¨

Korn ¨Korn¨

JohnnyQuest, Dreadnought and dino77 like this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lester Bowie plays on a David Bowie album, Chet Baker plays on an Elvis Costello track and Shelley Mann plays on a Tom Waits record. Three more 'world experts 'in jazz.

Becker and Fagan are to jazz what What's Opera Doc is to ... opera.

13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Can't say I ever hated any music. Hate is too strong of an emotion to waste on music that doesn't appeal to me.
    I just ignore the stuff that doesn't grab me and invest no further thought in it.

14. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Forgot about the first UB40 album ('Signing Off')... that one is really great, but the rest is total garbage, save for 'Present Arms' and the first live album.

Echo likes this.
  15. ..and Tom Waits plays on a Teddy Edwards album.. So what? What laws have David Bowie, E.C. and Tom Waits broken? Other than Mylene's apartheid laws on 'jazz cred'. :wantsome:Sheesh...call the cops.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's you that brought up the proposition that Becker and Fagan are somehow knowledgeable about jazz because Wayne Shorter played with them. Barney Kessell played on lots of Phil Spector sessions and no-one goes on about Phil's jazziness. Roy Clark played wild lead guitar on Wanda Jackson's hits and he's not been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yet.

17. More names, so what? How does any of that relate to Becker and Fagen's jazz credentials??

There's a documentary on youtube about the making of Aja. Shorter has things to say in his interview about Becker and Fagen, they are mostly complimentary.

You could've just said you hated Steely Dan records other than Countdown To Ecstasy and left it at that. Fine, great, happy for you. No harm, no foul. You were the one who brought up their alleged dilletantism on all things jazz as a reason for disliking them. That's somewhat irrational. I made a counter argument. If you know Messrs Becker or Fagen personally or any 'bona fide' jazz musicians who can attest to their phoniness then please enlighten me and the rest of the world. I'm sure there are lots of people around here who would be pleased for any nuggets you care to share. They've never claimed to be 'jazz musicians'. Dislike them for what they are, not what they ain't.
    You come on like you wear a finely-tailored suit of pristine facts, when in reality all you have is your opinion to keep you warm. :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  18. first Kings of Leon and first Coldplay albums. they aspired to be arena bands thereafter and i think the songwriting suffered greatly as a result.

19. Dennis Metz

Not even close to his best album:cheers:

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

"Hate" is a strong word, but Suicide's debut album is miles beyond anything else they ever did

21. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

These are all CDs I own and dig, I may not necessarily "hate" the rest of their catalogs but none of these have ever made me feel particularly compelled to track down more of their stuff...

Deceased - Fearless Undead Machines
    Most of what little I've heard from these guys outside of this album is a lil' too "death metal" for me.

Heavens' Gate - Hell For Sale!
    Generic speed/power metal from Germany. I picked it up just for the cover of the Monty Python classic "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

Jacobs Dream - s/t
    I have owned several of their other CDs and ditched'em...on their second album the singer's voice was shot, and the third had a new/better singer but it was simply boooooring.

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    Yeah, I know, I should probably own more Soundgarden....I just never got around to it.

Stratovarius - The Chosen Ones
    I bought several of their other albums after this, but eventually came to the conclusion that if you've heard one Stratovarius album you've pretty much heard'em all... so I ditched the others and stuck with this.

Helmet - Meantime
    Another "if you've heard one album you've heard'em all" band.

Venom - Cast in Stone
    Never been more than a casual Venom fan, but this is a 2-CD set of their then-new reunion album from 1997 plus a bonus disc of re-recorded oldies, so it's pretty much all the Venom I'm ever gonna need.

VoiVod - Nothingface
    I pretty much got this one just for the cover of Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine." My brother is a huge fan of these guys but the most of their other stuff that I've heard is too weird/noisy/"out there" for me.

Sternodox likes this.
  22. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I like David Bowie's Low, but could not get myself like his other albums so far.

23. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Even 'Heroes' which is really very similar?

24. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

The first Dexys record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.