Stereo vs Mono: The "White" Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KinkySmallFace1991, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Good point - the stereo mixes make the Fender VI stick out more, whereas the mono mixes blend it in a bit better. The stereo mixes also make extra overdubs a lot more obvious, like the band's habit of overdubbing a snare to bring out the beat in certain sections. When these are panned away from the drum kit, it sounds a bit ridiculous. I can't recall specific examples at the moment, but I always tire of it when listening the stereo WA.

notesofachord likes this.
  2. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Mono all the way through!

gramfan likes this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

Mono for sentimental reasons. I grew up with the mono version in the States; thanks to my generous grandparents in the UK. Years later I finally heard the stereo mix and it sounded pretty good.

4. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

No fake stereo, but the mono Revolution 9 is a fold-down, isn't it? As if it makes much of a difference :D

5. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Occasionally the Beatles stereo mixes were odd. Here most are OK. About the only thing I'm annoyed with is the jet plane noises in USSR. I prefer the track in mono. But it would have been better with airplanes at just the beginning and end. Love has a shorter version, less airplane.

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I know what you mean about that, but I sort of like that quality about it. They had such a signature bass sound before '68, and they started mixing it up at this point and beyond. Similar with the Gibson and Strat tones that started sneaking in around Rubber Soul and after.

swampwader likes this.
  7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

It is a fold but funnily enough the dialogue at the beginning about the bottle of claret is clearer on the mono.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Nice links, but none seem to cover a track by track stereo vs mono analysis that the the op is looking for.

9. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

:shh: Hmm . . . this might take some time . . .

10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

It's only on the songs McCartney doesn't play bass on. I am so glad they ditched it for Abbey Road as we have seen pictures of George with a right hand Fender Bass (with 4 strings).

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If we take this as legitimate, don't you feel sorry for someone who needs to ask the internet what sounds good to him? Is this person so internet dependent/crippled that he can't listen to two mixes of the same song and decide for himself which one he prefers?

ohnothimagen and Disraeli Gears like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mono -TT rig.
    Stereo- Cans

Win win.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

IMO, track-by-track:

1/3 mono
    1/3 stereo
    1/3 - either (both are equally great)

Library Eye likes this.
  14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

He may have a hard time listening to the two and knowing which you prefer for each track, hence the thread...

KinkySmallFace1991 and bluemooze like this.
  15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The vocals are only stereo because of the ADT delay effect applied to them. It is a simulated stereo effect, like it or not.

Adam9 likes this.
  16. dee

dee Senior Member

A Poll to choose all the individual songs mono or stereo (that would include posts like yours!)...

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

No, I don't feel sorry for him. I imagine that he was just looking for some pointers as to the primary differences between the two mixes. As someone who only really got to know the mono versions more recently myself, I'm still formulating my opinions on exactly where I prefer mono and stereo with the Beatles--it's mono for me overall, but by 1968, the stereo mixes were becoming more assured. Often it can vary considerably from song to song. So I think we have these kinds of discussions to hash out the differences and make some sense of it all together, though I'm sure these same discussions have been broached here before.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

By listening or by asking the internet to tell you what you prefer?

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

By hearing a range of different viewpoints from people who have studied the different mixes more closely. I have no idea how this amounts to trolling on the OP's part, though you seem to be dipping your toe into those waters. . .

KinkySmallFace1991 and ParloFax like this.
  20. Assuming your own hearing and musical audio training are perfect, the OP's might not be, thus he/she asking for some lights from more experienced (and/or better equipped) listeners, fans, etc. (And I sure as hell benefit from these too.) Which is I'm certain one of the main reasons for the existence of discussion forums such as this one in the very first place...

Chuckee and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  21. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Just playing USSR in mono. Fine piece. No problem with airplane noises. I just don't want the panning all over the place.

22. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I listen to both versions, but I do prefer the mono version.

Drifter likes this.
  23. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I would buy the mono if it were available separately. Having to buy the entire box set when all I want are 2 of them (the other one is Peppers) I believe was a bad business decision on Apple's part.

I listened to the samples of "Martha My Dear" on "Beatle Drops", the rhythm guitar is too loud on the stereo mix.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Vinyl. My preference~White/Mono'UK top loader(low serial number).

25. Is there a big difference with the remastered mono vinyl version? In what aspect? (I have heard neither of those two BTW.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.