Favorite Bon Scott Era AC/DC Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Complier, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

That's a great point ! I'm guessing here, but I'd say that all of these albums are still selling quite well individually...So there's been no-need to re-invest money on something that's still turning-it-over...

Maybe in the not too distant future this will happen however, with the band announcing it's final tour before retirement. The record companies may well see the advantage of trying to sell these off as "re-mastered boxed-sets" whilst the band is still alive & well in the public consciousness.

Cheers,

Gregser

grifter likes this.
  2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It never changes for me...Powerage.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  3. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

Highway to Hell, then Powerage.

Honorable Mention to '74 Jailbreak as it contains the excellent Jailbreak and the even better Soul Stripper because who DOESN'T want to be sitting underneath an old apple tree with a handful of flowers, looking as cool as can be?

van1, Price.pittsburgh and GodShifter like this.
  4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the Aussie version with artwork of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

5. Levee

Levee Active Member

1. Powerage
    2. Let There Be Rock
    3. T.N.T./High Voltage International (almost the same thing)
    4. Highway to Hell
    5. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    6. High Voltage Australian

wwright likes this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Without a doubt, it would be Powerage. Definitely my favorite AC/DC album. For the first and only time in their career, the boys tackled serious subject matter. "Down Payment Blues" tackles being broke, "Gone Shootin'" is a remarkably grim take on watching other people struggle with addiction. There weren't that many overly sexual songs on here, which I like because I can only really take those kinds of songs in moderation before I start to get annoyed. On the other end of the spectrum, they show us how freaking amazing they are as musicians ("Riff Raff") and even do a group harmony ("What's Next To The Moon"). Pretty much flawless from start to finish.

I like all the other ones, especially Highway To Hell, which would come in at third on my list (behind Flick Of The Switch). And make sure this is not anybody's first AC/DC album - this is the one that you have to work toward. It was my last Bon Scott era album that I listened to.

7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Bon era is really a special one is Rock history. In the same way that Back in Black is a special album for the Brian, the entire sound of Bon AC/DC is so very unique. I understand that the lyrics to the Back in Black album are all Brian's, but the band made some of their best music. It would have been so amazing to hear Bon's vocals with those backing tracks, regardless of what lyrics he chose to create. Then again, I like to think that the reason it's such a great album, both lyrically and musically, is because it was a tribute to Bon. So they were probably more inspired or maybe Bon's spirit really was there or both.

slipkid likes this.
  8. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Yep, soul stripper is track 1 of my Bon years compilation. It mostly goes chronologically except for it ending with 'ride on', seems fitting

blutiga likes this.
  9. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Nice review of the original uk track listing from Julian cope's web site

10. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

TNT - vinyl version with the correct length tracks and edit into School Days jam.

11. van1

van1 Forum Resident

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Let there be Rock is my favorite and the last raw AC/DC album. Highway to Hell had some great songs, but sounds too polished.

sathvyre and junk like this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Powerage for me, as I already noted a few pages/years back. Just commenting again now though, because I saw an episode of That Metal Show recently where they voted for their 5 top hard rock albums of all time, and the only AC/DC album in there, was, of course, POWERAGE!

wwright and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  14. grifter

grifter New Member

Yeah, you'd hope!

Also, I don't think you can still get the Australian versions of the album new?

15. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Powerage, followed by If You Want Blood.

16. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Outside-Looking In likes this.
  17. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

Here's how I'd rank it:

T.N.T.
    Highway To Hell
    Powerage
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Let There Be Rock
    High Voltage

18. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I mentioned Highway and Powerage earlier but right now I may be leaning towards Let There Be Rock.
    Even High Voltage and Dirty Deeds are pretty darn great.
    They didn't make and averge album with Bon

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Highway to Hell for me.

Quite a feat for a band to make at least two classic albums (Back in Black etc) with different lead singers.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why no poll ?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.