2 Permanent Waves questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wownflutter, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

Yes, the cover is subconsciously altering your perception of the music. Grey = cooler. Moving Pictures = color.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Deffo a somber record. That's why I like it so much. Cover matches the mood.

3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm one of those who probably prefers it to Moving Pictures on most days. Doesn't sound as dated to me either for some reason. I don't know. It's damn near impossible to pick favorites with this band.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

So did I...Until I heard the original Atomic CD. (And then sold the Gold)

George P and SteveS1 like this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It was successful because it updated their prog sound in a great way. It was the template they should have stuck with for more than just one additional album. I think it's their second best release, after "Hemispheres."

I too have the MFSL, but it is in no way as good as the original atomic cd from the 80's.

Majestyk and George P like this.
  6. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

Interesting that you rate this the best after Hemispheres. I see them as total opposites, almost. In fact, I know at least one Rush fan who loves 2112, but doesn't like this album.

Not so for me. Permanent Waves is the summit of Rush, not Moving Pictures (wherein lay the seeds of a debilitating keyboard/synthesizer addiction).

It is a tragically short album; only six extremely well-crafted songs, one of which is genuinely "jazzy", the only instance of this on a Rush record, though there were more attempts. Unlike predecessors, all songs remain grounded in reality. No fantasy escapes. No filler. Analog recording, analog master. Best drum and bass sound on a Rush record. Some of the most memorable lyrics in the Rush catalog. Following Hemispheres, which the band has acknowledged as being one of, if not the most difficult of their albums to create, Permanent Waves was and is like pure, clear cold water - perfect Rush.

I enjoy the MFSL the most, mainly because I like how it's EQ'd.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Rockos likes this.
  7. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I know that in St. Louis it hit stores on a school day. I remember waiting for the UPS truck at the Streetside Records next to school, and because of the New Year's holiday, I doubt we would have started up school again until Monday, January 7th, 1980. On the other hand, I know that KSHE had broadcast the entire LP maybe two weeks earlier because I was already familiar with the songs by the time I picked up the vinyl.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

Stallings and BryanA-HTX like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

9. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

And of course the "shrubbery"

10. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

http://www.rush.com/albums/permanent-waves/

11. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Anyone check out "The Art Of Rush" book? Maybe it explains something.
    I have the book but am only at 2112.

12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

That's pretty interesting, maybe some stores got it December 31st? Would've been neat to be playing the album already as the new decade opened

13. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I was speaking of the MFSL vinyl.

14. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I might be wrong but didn't the original liner notes mention a nod to Paul Simon somewhere?

Had the original cover on vinyl before it was changed and have a signed inner sleeve from the band which looks a bit dog eared these days........

I understand the monochrome connection to an extent it seemed a more streamlined Rush but I don't really care for the longer tracks 35 years later....I don't consider either Jacob's Ladder or Natural Science as great tracks-JL is an experiment in moods that doesn't quite come off-NS I always thought sounded really disjointed with a couple of jarring melodies....
    Anyway I guess also the fact it features less keyboards is maybe when it seems a bit less dated than Moving Pictures....if it does....

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Yep, cheap as chips and sounds superb. What's not to like? :)

16. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Not to Beatle up this thread, but I see PW and MP as their "Rubber Soul into Revolver." They're parts one and two of the same overall era, which served to establish them as a force to be reckoned with for good.

Also, PW was the first album they did at Le Studio, which was for all intents and purposes their EMI-Abbey Road up through the '90s. (Except Abbey Road Studios isn't currently sitting abandoned and rotting in the Canadian wilderness.)

ModernDayWarrior and Stephen J like this.
  17. junk

junk Hellion

Natural Science is a great tune.

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It's several tunes.....none of them great to my ears.......

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Order of greatness on Permanent Waves:

1) Natural Science
    2) The Spirit of Radio
    3) Jacob's Ladder
    4) Entre Nous
    5) Different Strings
    6) Freewill

....a brilliant album!

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My absolute favorite Rush album!

21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My favorite part of the cover. I was 15 in 1980!

Rockos likes this.
  22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

The MFSL vinyl isn't bad but the original UK vinyl is better. :) (Less ear fatigue when cranking it)

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  23. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

It was successful because Rush absorbed pop/new wave influences, shortened up the songs, and made their lyrics less obtuse and more easily accessible. In short, they effectively oriented their sound towards AOR radio.

"Freewill" and "Spirit of Radio" fit neatly on AOR playlists between Foreigner and the Eagles in a way that Rush songs previously hadn't.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  24. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Make that 1.5. As big of Rush fan as I am, this album leaves me hungry. Too short? Maybe. I may have to give it more time. It's my least listened to album, from self titled through Hold Your Fire.

25. junk

junk Hellion

Art as expression
    Not as market campaigns
    Will still capture our imaginations...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.