Were the Rolling Stones influenced by the Sex Pistols in 1978?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

I just watched the live "Some Girls" disc last night. Anybody else notice that Mick Jagger was clearly and obviously, purposefully dressed *exactly* like Johnny Rotten from the Sex Pistols (!!!!), even borrowing the exact same "Destroy" shirt that Rotten was already famous for wearing.

Thoughts?

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think he tried way too hard to be "punk" on that tour.
    He really didn't need to, he was the coolest front man on the planet and had no reason to change, other than fear of being seen as out of touch or irrelevant in 1978.

I think punk in general gave the Stones a kick up the rear, but Jagger was the only one in the band that took it to extremes.

3. Baba Oh Really

Thank you for the reply, I think you hit the nail on the head.

I do have to say though, this show was better than the 1975 "Vault" DVD show. What a horrible mess that performance was!!!!

vudicus likes this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I agree, that show is not a good example of the Stones in 1975, they seem tired and sloppy.
    The show from the 13th which is on CD only is far superior. One of the best shows of the tour.

John Fell likes this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

It may
    I remember reading a piece around that time when Keith was quoted as saying, "Why the **** do we have to sound like the Sex Pistols for?"

theMess, on7green, vinylkid58 and 2 others like this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Funnily enough, during the "Some Girls" sessions, Ian Stewart was overheard saying "They sound like Bloody Status Quo".

theMess and Adam9 like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I remember Pete Townsend applauding the Sex Pistols and the spirit they brought back to rock.

Well, punk became a huge fashion statement that you still see around today. So I think it would have been pretty hip for Mick to make a nod to punk.

JimC and Baba Oh Really like this.
  8. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

If punk inspired Jagger's '78 stage wardrobe, then what the hell was responsible for '81? [​IMG]

clhboa, ConnieGuitar, Oliver and 10 others like this.
  9. the no guy

the no guy Cat on the moon

Olivia Newton John

10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I confess I only watched that DVD once, but I remember being creeped out by Mick's near sexual assault of Ron Wood during that show.

They didn't tour for Emotional Rescue did they? Possibly a restraining order prevented that!

clhboa likes this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think The Rolling Stones--like a lot of the "old guard"--reacted to The Sex Pistols in certain ways. I wouldn't call it "influence" though. But The Stones were at various points in their career influenced by psychedelica, country, R&B , reggae and disco. As a pop group, they absorbed what was going on around them, and if they could incorporate new sounds , beats and rhythms into their music, they wouldn't hesitate to do so. But I don't think they ever attempted a "punk" song. It wouldn't have suited them. Besides, it wasn't very marketable in 1978, and Mick alway had an eye on the market.

alchemy, Tristero and MRamble like this.
  12. Baba Oh Really

I think it's hilarious how Mick is there right on top of Keith to cover him, and he is missing cues to start verses where Mick starts to sing them, omitting verses on Happy, etc....

vudicus likes this.
  13. Baba Oh Really

I agree: Example: In 1975 the Stones were clearly "reflecting" the New York Dolls.

However, based on how Mick was dressed (in the 1978 DVD), he seems to have been positively enamored with the Sex Pistols!!

14. Baba Oh Really

They did not tour Emotional Rescue, sadly, but did many of the songs on the follow-up "Tattoo You" tour.

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Mick expends a lot of effort dressing for the show. He consults with wardrobe experts to craft his look. Mick was living in NYC and while he probably never stepped foot in CBGB's he certainly read the papers and spoke with people who kept him informed about what the "kids" were up to.

Regarding the Tattoo You tour, his costume was a hat tip to the American football uniforms that occupied the huge stadiums they were playing every Sunday.

OldSoul, MRamble and JoeF. like this.
  16. Baba Oh Really

17. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm amazed that the gay/punk schtick was accepted outside of the Northeast United States.

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I seem to remember seeing a photo of the bearded-version Mick Jagger hanging out at CBGB's. Maybe it was another club.

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I stand corrected.

20. Baba Oh Really

Kind of funny to see a multi-millionaire rock star up there on stage in ripped up clothes held together by electrical tape........

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's amazing how many things got over people's heads back in the '70's.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Probably. Many bands were.

23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think Respectable was a response to pumk in general. Some Girls did sound like they went back to basics; When The Whip Comes Down is another example, but then the disco phenomenon was also responsible for Miss You. Whatever, they were definitely "under the influence" in '78.

JimC, theMess and quakerparrot67 like this.
  24. Baba Oh Really

Not that the Sex Pistols had the market cornered on being copied: before that, the Stones were clearly copying the New York Dolls. And "Voodoo Lounge", to me anyway, always seemed to be influenced somewhat by the "grunge" sound.

25. misko

misko Forum Resident

Happy was always a "duet" live on stage. I miss it too. By 1981 all that was dispensed with and Keith would get his solo spot of one song and subsequently increased to two. Often with Mick leaving the stage all together. But in the seventies , there was no doubt Jagger was there to support Keith's vocal effort on "Happy" and at the time I don't think Keith minded one bit given his condition .

ShawnX and Baba Oh Really like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.