Looking for Ipod replacementfor car use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackBnimble, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello. My Ipod Classic recently died and I'm looking for something to replace it. Here's the problem, I need something that will hook up via USB like the Ipod. I have a factory installed system in my car that only allows for USB. I've tried an Ipod Touch but after playing with the EQ settings it still doesn't deliver the same sound as the classic did. I've looked at the new Sony Walkman but that will only do Bluetooth in the car and I can do that with a phone or the touch. I've also tried a portable HDD to a limited success, it will play MP3 's but not much else. Am I stuck with the ipod?

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My experience has been that it very much depends on the car. In my case, my iPod Video will work with the USB port, but it will only read MP3's. AAC's are a no-go, and that's exactly the same with any music player or thumb drive I use. The only way I can get AAC's to play is via a Bluetooth connection or the line in.

3. JackBnimble

Thanks for the reply. My ipod will play Apple Lossless in the car so it does have that going for it so I might have to stick with it. If I could do a line in I would have a lot more choices.

4. djohannesen

djohannesen Member

What died? Parts may be replaceable. (I changed out the battery and hd in my ipod video. Case for classic may be a little more difficult but doable.

5. JackBnimble

HD shot. The guy at the Apple Store said there was no replacement for it in the store since its now considered obsolete. Thinking about seeing if there is someplace to send it to be refurbished.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

How about using an old iPhone if you have it? Granted the storage is not what the Classic is, but my old iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 are in use as "iPods" in my car since I upgraded to iPhone 5.

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Older iPods are generally easy to find at your local pawn shop. I also still have my original iPhone in service as an iPod .

Is the USB port an iPod dedicated port of will it accept a memory stick? I've had a couple cars that read files off a flash drive plugged in.

8. djohannesen

djohannesen Member

9. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

rapidrepair.com - they are over priced but in the very least you will get the part number you need and can find it elsewhere cheaper. I swapped out the HD on an Ipod video a while back, easy and rather straight forward.

You can also likely get a larger HDD, and in the end you will have something you know works.

10. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

The sound from an ipod touch should be no different than the sound from an ipod classic - the head unit receives a line-out signal or a digital signal with no audio processing. The EQ settings on the ipod are bypassed in this configuration - any EQ adjustments are done on the head unit.

I replaced my in-car classic with a touch about a year ago. IMO the touch is a better choice for car interiors - heat and cold are not good for spinning hard drives. I've had less communication pauses between the ipod and the head units (Pioneer POS (piece of scrap) with touch screen, and 2012 Honda Civic head unit).

Without knowing more details, I would not stray from the ipod family. The USB connection to the head unit is often only configured to work with ipods.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  11. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Exactly! I've gone through several iPods in cars and the Louisiana heat kills them. I've had much better luck with an old iPhone or a Touch. I know many folks feel like they have to carry every song in their library, but I can say that I have been happier since I cut mine down to just the stuff I want in the car. Navigating a huge library in the car is a PITA anyway.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Do most new car stereo's still have a stereo mini-jack for input?

Thanks!

14. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

My 2008 Volkswagen does. I'm assuming you mean the 3.5mm jack?

15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Yes, 3.5mm jack. Do all the new cars have this input?
    Need to play PONO.

Thanks!

16. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Flash drive with mp3's on it.

17. JackBnimble

Thanks for the reply. The touch should sound the same but there is a big difference in the sound. I might play around with it some more. I have a 2015 Honda Accord and from what I can tell the head unit is configured to work with ipods as you suggested.

18. JackBnimble

Thanks everyone for the replies suggestions and links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.