THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

This was the first time in a while that part-way through the film, I decided I needed to own the soundtrack.

Clipper Sylvania and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Just got back. Wife liked it. I thought it was boring and couldn't stay awake. Just didn't work for me. I did like the electric chair bit.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

I see Gaby is in Matt Damon/Bourne Sequel.

4. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I waited 50 years for it, so I had to see it. I was not disappointed.

In my opinion, it's a perfect Season 2 episode, faint praise damning perhaps, since I'm a fan of Season 1. Vidiot, based upon your posts over the years, I think you might like it. I would say it has the best elements of Season 2. The music beds (arrangements/instrumentation/rhythms) are reminiscent of Season 2, with maybe a dollop of 3 tossed in for good measure. The script has internationalism, focuses on actor team chemistry and glamour. Gadgets are less prevalent, a wise move since it might have provoked more laughter at the film, than admiration. There are humor elements, but unlike Season 3, they are not so broad, nor prevalent that they resemble a Batman episode.

In my fantasy, the perfect U.N.C.L.E. film would feature Jerry Goldsmith's original themes, just as a Mission Impossible film still features Lalo Schifrin's. It would feature a more-indie/shaky/hand-held camera style and, (gasp) be shot in black and white to heighten the whole Cold War undercurrent. There was also a Season 1 specialty where 'normal' people would be caught up in the adventure, no doubt a Sam Rolfe (UNCLE's original developer) special sauce, no doubt adapted from his affection for Alfred Hitchcock. Finally, I'd like to see Solo's character return to his rather noble intentions, rather than invent a dark past where he's blackmailed to become good. I know this is asking a lot, and it's not a deal killer. haha

Overall, though, I liked the film a lot, and was, frankly, terrified to see it, expecting to be as glum afterwards as when I watched the horrible Return of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. telefilm some years ago; THAT one I worried had nuked the whole franchise. I made it a point of not reading any reviews beforehand, so as not to program me either way. At the end they clearly made a point of announcing a sequel. I hope they do well enough to fun another one.

I realize the Man From U.N.C.L.E. concept isn't as well-known as Superman or Mission Impossible. Although I consider it superior to MI in its original form, Mission Impossible had several consistent if less inspired seasons, enough for unending syndication and exposure to multiple generations. UNCLE had one or two good seasons and even those are quite different from each other. The vastly different music soundtracks don't help, in my opinion. There's just not the three-year cycle of consistent episodes to build a good franchise base. Oh the humanity!

Still, to those old enough to remember its origins, it was nothing short of a phenomenon. Honey West was just a knock-off. The Man From U.N.C.L.E., while it had roots in James Bond, was an original. I watched the first episode, The Vulcan Affair, last night. Although it had very little team chemistry (that evolved later), there's a raw energy about the show that still seems fresh. Anyway, I'm actually grateful that a good film finally got made.

Final note: I thought the screen chemistry of the leads was very good. I think Henry Cavill was inspired casting, the best one I could imagine, after hearing of Clooney, Cruise and others I was less enthused about.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Completely agree about Season 1. My favorite episode is The Double Affair, although like Goldfinger I've seen it so many times there's nothing new for me there. Any favorite episodes of yours?

kevinsinnott likes this.
  6. kevinsinnott

Yes, I'm a big fan of The Double Affair. My favorite scene in it is when Illya is attacked by the toy robots outside U.N.C.L.E. headquarters.

Here are some other favorites of mine. I know most of the scripts by heart, since my big brother used to audio record the episodes and we'd listen to them at night.

My top picks:
    • Iowa Scuba Affair. Early episode that exemplifies the girl-next-door innocent concept, Rolfe adapted from Hitchcock.
    • Never Never Affair - This time Barbara Feldon (pre-Get Smart) is the innocent. Solo's sense of mischief is in ample supply as he invents a mission for a bored fellow agent. Cesar Romero is wonderful as the Thrush leader.
    • Bow Wow Affair - Waverly's cousin is featured (Leo Carroll in a dual role) as Illya gets featured sent to protect a man threatened by a gypsy curse. Not a spy story, but a thrilling episode.
    • Brain Killer Affair - Elsa Lanchester guest stars as an evil doctor who's trying to do brain research on innocent people for Thrush. Particularly effective music score couples the creepy story.
    • Mad Tea Party Affair - UNCLE headquarters is invaded by odd pranks one week before a major conference. Lots of fun.
    • Project Strigas Affair - Perhaps the most unusual episode, it features both Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner. Shatner is a scientist recruited by Solo and Kuryakin to sell a phony formula to an Eastern European government. Full of twists and a wonderful string quartet music score.
    Thanks for asking.

SandAndGlass, Vidiot and chacha like this.
  7. chacha

Yes, many of my favorites too! Odd than they chose to run Brain Killer so late in the season when it was shot early. And it was primed for a sequel that never happened unfortunately.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  8. kevinsinnott

Brain Killer featured the late (as of today) Yvonne Craig, who later played Batgirl, of course. She is really lovely in that episode. She plays an artist. It's the unreal situations played against normal backgrounds that I find most interesting.

9. chacha

Yes and she played Waverly's daughter later.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  10. Just saw it. Hated it. Bad script. Acting is bad from decent actors. Timing is off It can't decided what type of film it is. Parody serious or who knows what.

shokhead likes this.
  11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

OK flick, got better as it went along. I seriously considered walking out after 40 or so minutes, glad I stayed as it seemed to find its rhythm late rather than early. Not a waste of $8 but not one I'll rave about to my friends either. Good cinematography a plus.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Liked it a lot:cheers:

13. kevinsinnott

I re-watched The Brain Killer Affair last night. Then I found this statement from an interview with the late Sam Rolfe.
    http://www.manfromuncle.org/rolfe.htm

Sounds like a good explanation for why it was shown late in the season. I have to say it's one time I don't agree with the producer. haha

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Passed on the latest Tom Cruise'Mission Impossible' to see this update/homage/wt and Man I Made A Mistake. TMFU was crap' so disappointed.Seen on the news its not made a third of its production costs yet.

15. chacha

Interesting- thanks for that

kevinsinnott likes this.
  16. chacha

Agreed. It was painful to watch.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I literally fell asleep' ( a first)so dull and boring ...nothing redeeming about it, script/cast even music.

18. Horrible film.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I heard the same thing the other day. It is sucking gas at the box office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.