Jimi Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Q: Listening to vinyl it seem like Jimi's vocals are somewhat left of center. Doesn't sound like they are quite dead center. Are others hearing that or is it my setup?

Also, that tone Jimi has during Hear My Train is just sick and heavy. Love when he gets that loud deep tone, it sounds like its vibrating Mitch's snare and cymbals.

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yes, I'd say they are definitely somewhat left of center. I'm listening on my Fiio X5 with Dunu 2000J earbuds.

I agree with you regarding Hear My Train...the tone is great and definitely one of the show highlights (although I feel this song was often a highlight live). It's amazing he never got down a "definitive" studio version in his lifetime (meaning one he felt was strong enough to release on an LP).

JeffMo likes this.
  4. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Sixteen pages here and I ain´t even got my CD yet :rolleyes:

No idea why they can´t release stuff worldwide on the same day.

supernaut likes this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Does "Watchtower" start with Jimi playing and singing in the wrong key before correcting himself and saying something along the lines of "As I was saying" or "Let's try that again"?

It was left off the old VHS but is on a fan made DVD which is in circulation.

6. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Here My Train a Comin' is an auditory assault. Hendrix in pure beast mode. So exciting!

supernaut likes this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yes it does. It's in lesser quality (but still very listenable) as it was taken from a non-multi-track source, which they've attempted to cover with some crowd noise raised up in volume during this portion.

Shvartze Shabbos and vudicus like this.
  8. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

"Watchtower" was included on the Johnny B. Goode VHS and soundtrack released way back in 1986.
    I think in the liner notes they said Jimi forgot the lyrics so that's why he stopped, said "As I was saying" and started singing the verse over.
    Despite Jimi fumbling on the lyrics and the botched recording of the intro, I think Atlanta's AATWT is a definite highlight. Jimi's solo is great.

dee likes this.
  9. elmahranbird

elmahranbird Forum Resident

The EU version is cut by Bernie Grundman, pressed at Optimal

10. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Thanks to Experience Hendrix for once again giving us a beautifully mastered, professionally pressed 200 gram vinyl LP, housed in a sturdy, artistically pleasing fold-out jacket. Can't imagine a much nicer presentation of this material. I'm lovin' it.

12. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

Somebody at EH has a weird sense of humor. Check out the photo on page 4 of the booklet, showing a guy openly gawking at a topless woman.

Headfone, jsayers and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Not sure if he forgets the lyrics but he definitely starts in the wrong key.
    You can hear Billy Cox playing it correctly and then Jimi find the right key and starts the verse again.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

Its what he plays between his vocal lines too in AATW that gets my attention! In addition to the solos. That performance has that falling apart at any second quality to it but other than the intro and a few quick hiccups it stays together and maintains its tightrope walking balancing acrobatics act all the way through to the end.

15. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

The Isle of Wight version of All Along the Watchtower is the best live version I have heard. (Even better than the album version imo)

How many times did he play it live? I think I have only heard 3 live versions.

16. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Randall's Island.
    He played a really intense version at Copenhagen.

Hendrix_Fan, Maidenpriest and jhm like this.
  17. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

This is actually the first time I have seen where Bernie Grundman (BG) cut has been pressed at Optimal and I have like 100+ BG titles.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In his book, Mitch admitted that he over-played at times. I think this is more evident with the later performances. In the earlier period (on a smaller kit!) his playing was more direct or elaborate in a Keith Moon whirlwind way. Maybe later he felt he had to follow the Ginger Baker/Tony Williams way and be a big way-out jazz-rock drummer (and ended up over-playing).

19. dee

dee Senior Member

I was thinking Hendrix says SO MUCH through the electric guitar simultaneously just in what he plays and how he uses sound and effects and with the intensity he plays at that sometimes depending on my mood I can only listen to him in sections for his live shows. I had been enjoying disc one in its entirety. The combo of Red House and Hear My Train can get pretty heavy for me! I was thinking Coltrane. Anyway, late last night, I tried disc 2 in its entirety and was blown away by his playing and yes I especially enjoyed the hits mixed in with a few of the newer songs and the SSB really blew my mind. It's fascinating to me to hear him make music out of what might just sound otherwise on the surface like noise or chaos.

skybluestoday, dino77 and jhm like this.
  20. I loved most of Mitch's drumming 66 thru early 69, but it really went downhill after that. He sounds like a train wreck at the Isle of Wight.

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I listened to this yesterday and I really like hearing versions of the less commonly played tracks.

JeffMo and MikeInFla like this.
  22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Me too, can't wait to get this just for Freedom, Message To Love & Room Full Of Mirrors.

Haven't picked it up yet but saw it yesterday in the store and noticed it was number 5000. They are numbered to 5000, wonder if I should go back and get it since 5000 is the last one (supposedly, do they actually print multiple copies with the same number?).

John Fell likes this.
  23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I totally agree.
    I think the mistake Mitch made was moving onto a double bass drum kit.
    When he played with one he was fluid and tight, but when he went onto the double bass drum kit he became sloppy and tried to overplay.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree and I also always like hearing Stone Free and Hear My Train A Comin'. Too bad All Along The Watchtower isn't a better version and Straight Ahead was a little better.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think the Randall's Island version blows the IOW version out of the water personally. We finally have it in perfect quality on the Hear My Train 'A Comin' DVD/Blu Ray!

Maidenpriest and dino77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.