Dirty LP covers! Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyl13, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl13

vinyl13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some of my LP covers are very dirty. Any way to take off that grime? :shrug:

2. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Damp cloth unless it's a cover that feels like it absorbs water (like Neil Young's Harvest). I worked at a record store and occasionally we'd use windex on a paper towel (never spray it directly on) or if there is any type of "residue" on the jacket use lighter fluid (Ronsonal brand works best) on a paper towel but be real gentle with this. If it's a jacket like Harvest, just live with it. You'll do more harm than good trying to clean it.

3. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

I've had good luck with mild soap and warm water along with a sponge. Then a soft cloth for drying.

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I have been cleaning covers for over 30 years, so they have been through the test of time. Both previous responses are correct (with minor adjustment) if they are combined.
    There are three kinds of covers, the early high gloss slick, the typical semi gloss surface, and matte surface such as Neil Young's "Harvest" as mentioned previously.

This procedure is my own, and time tested, and my opinion. The "do not's" are underlined. Although my write up appears lengthy, cleaning is fast and easy.

The high gloss slick and semi-gloss can be cleaned with windex and paper towel. Do not clean with alcohol. Fold the towel, do not clean with a crumpled towel. It is very important to nearly saturate the towel, very wet but not dripping wet. Do not spray directly on the cover; Do not just slightly dampen the towel. Do Not rub back and forth or scrub. The reason for ample saturation is to assist in the low friction cleaning of the cover. Old oil and film deposits almost instantly dissolve into the towel. Any grit on the surface is emulsified into the wet towel. Always clean from the center to the edges and to the corners, inside to outside... very important. The edges and corners may be sensitive, so great care needed there, and sometimes avoided when frayed or worn. (cleaning may further damage a worn edge or corner) The cover will absorb a small amount of windex and may slightly discolor. The white back side (typical back) may discolor slightly too. This is normal, and normal color will return within a minute or so. The cleaned cover should feel clean. Avoid holding finger pressure in one place for more than several seconds as this may leave a fingerprint (which can be removed by a second cleaning)

Speed is important. The cleaning must be done quickly, not more than 30 seconds or so. To repeat, Wipe in one direction inside to the edges, just once or twice. There should be a light film of liquid on the surface that quickly evaporates on its own. (Do not dry by using a dry towel) If the cover does absorb what seems to be too much, it will recover but may take 5 to 10 minutes of drying time. (you have to work faster if this occurs)

The wrong way does not produce good results. If the towel is just dampened, there is not sufficient liquid to float away grit. The cover surface will be etched and dulled to some extent. The dirt and/or filmy residue will only smear on the surface, leaving streaks. (and the cover will still be dirty) The wrong way (via insufficient saturation) causes the paper towel to drag and stick on the surface as you clean the cover. (scratching it) If this happens, you need to apply more liquid on the paper towel. The towel will glide easily with almost no friction with right amount of liquid. DO NOT dry the cover with a dry towel. Allow the cover to dry on its own as the windex evaporates quickly, usually less than a minute. The cover will show absolutely no sign it was ever subjected to liquid and appears beautiful and streak free.

For matte covers, such as Neil Young's "Harvest", Do Not clean with paper towel and solution of any kind. The matte cover, and matte cover backs can be cleaned with a dry cleaning pad.
    http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Professional-Drafting-Cleaning-Pads/dp/B004O4I3EI
    DO NOT use a dry cleaning pad on high gloss and semi-gloss cover art work, as it will be damaged. Certain other types of covers can not be cleaned, such as "Crown Record" covers and other budget labels from the 60's. The ink is not permanent, and will rub off the cover. Sensitive covers can be cleaned at best by simply dusting them off, no more than that. Some types of stains and sticker residue can be removed with naptha (lighter fluid) which will temporarily discolor the cover. The discoloration will recover 100% as it does with the windex method. Some types of ink will come off with the naptha, so that is always a risk.

Covers in shrink can be cleaned too. The shrink is best cleaned via near saturated towel, one direction from inside to outside, to the corners. Avoid the hype sticker edges, and original store price stickers as these increase the value of your record. The hype sticker should be cleaned separately with greater care and speed, if at all. (wipe once and leave it) The hype stickers are odd creatures, as the ink may be water soluble and come off with cleaning.

That just about "covers" it, :cool: Good luck,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I use a slightly damp Magic Eraser and get pretty good results.

betweentheears likes this.
  6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

vinyl13 and timztunz like this.
  7. vinyl13

How can you get sticker residue off of a cover without lighter fluid?

8. vinyl13

Ive seen using a white erasure can take grime off white covers and clorox wipes can take some of the grime off.

9. vinyl13

what about water spricted on a cloth?

10. The FRiNgE

I hate stickers, especially those 25 cent yard sale ones. Sticker glue is either oil base or water base. If naptha does not soften or remove residue within 30 seconds or so, then try plain water. As a last resort, you can try Isopropyl alcohol, but if left on for more than a few minutes, there is the risk of damage to the cover artwork. Naptha also may react with the ink, but most covers are ok with it. I have tried using masking tape to lift stubborn residue, but risky as this can peel the slick off the cover. Removal of sticker residue may not be successful in some cases, and often a permanent stain remains from the sticker glue. To remove a sticker, try a few drops of naptha on it and let it soak, repeat and repeat. If the sticker does not peel, then try ispropyl apcohol. Sticker removal, or glue is always a bit tricky.

11. The FRiNgE

Water is the universal solvent, but not the best for cleaning a record cover. It may work, but not the best solvent. You need a surfactant which helps in three ways:
    1) A surfactant type solution such as Windex, dissolves any oil base residue on the cover. This includes natural resins deposited from the air (from trees, plants, automobile exhaust, etc) and any exposure to air born cooking grease, and toxic cigarette smoke. The idea is to dissolve quickly and completely, and to subject the cover to liquid for as short a time as possible. Plain water just lengthens the cleaning time, not the best idea.
    2) The surfactant is "slippery", and aids in reducing friction under the cleaning cloth or paper towel. It is very important to apply generous solution to the cloth, not just a dampened cloth. (dampened cloth or paper towel drags and sticks, and does not emulsify the decades of crap on the cover surface)
    3) A surfactant solution helps to disinfect and deodorize the cover.

Should all covers be cleaned? No, reasonably clean covers should perhaps be dusted off, and not wiped.

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've used laundry detergent placed on a microfiber cloth (no water) to clean a Bob Dylan "Bringing it all Back Home" LP cover from the 60s. It removed all of the grime that looked like ringwear. Was very gentle with the cloth and didn't leave it on the LP cover for more than about 30 seconds.

13. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

"Dirty LP covers! Any suggestions? Some of my LP covers are very dirty..."

Well, you could use tape or decals to cover the naughty bits...

Or just cover using an old paper bag, ala "Two Virgins."

:D

:wave:

vinyl13 likes this.
  14. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I use lysol wipes. Every record. Never caused an ussue, and my library no longer smells like a library or a trift store...

vinyl13 likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Michael Fremer has recommended using "Formula 409" cleaner on dirty covers. I've tried it -- works about as good as anything.

16. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I do the same, as needed. Mostly I just dust them off with a microfiber cloth if they're used, before they go into an outer sleeve. If anything smells funny or there's any hint of possible mold, I hit it with a disinfectant wipe inside and out. Works fine for me.

17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

A while back I scored an original UK copy of "Angel's Egg" by Gong. I bought it online, and while the record is fine, the cover looks like it has bloodstains on it. Not like a few drips, but like a spatter pattern across a good bit of the cover. Then I remembered the online seller's description, saying she was selling her husband's collection because he recently passed away. I didn't know if I should try to clean it or turn it in as evidence.

oregonalex likes this.
  18. vinyl13

Ive been starting to use those and they work very well.

19. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

A hair dryer and lots of patience will remove just about any sticker.

For dingy jackets try a clean microfiber towel and very gentile pressure.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

What's the technique using a hair dryer?

21. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Take the record out of course, then just kinda blow hot air on the sticker for a little while (10-20 seconds), peel a little, repeat until the sticker/residue is history. Feel it out. The heat will soften the glue and make it easier to get off. I removed 3 stickers from a black glossy WWA Master of Reality jacket with a hair dryer and you can't tell they were ever there. If it's not coming up easy, heat it up for longer.

22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I've found generally that old stickers are harder to remove than relatively new ones. They get stiff and brittle, and the glue also hardens. I've never tried a hair dryer on them. Thanks for the tip.

23. The FRiNgE

Good points on deodorizing. Who would want a library smelling like a thrift store in their house? Ammonia is one of the very best deodorizers, and also disinfects. Maybe some other cleaners will work well, but I have found the original Windex formula works the best. The formulas including lemon or citrus additives should be avoided as these are acidic, not good for any paper item, nor the record inside that would be subjected to acidic environment for quite some time.

A little hat trick that works well for removing any moisture, and musty smell is fresh newspaper. Personally I will not have a musty cover near my fresh ones, and will not consider purchasing, or rejuvenating even a moderately musty cover. I simply fold full sheets and place them inside covers, minus the record for about two weeks. (meantime a wet cleaned record waits inside a new poly sleeve, stored in a separate place) The paper absorbs the odor .. just remove the old paper and repeat. Newspaper is acidic, a negative, but since it is dry, I assume does not acidify the cover to any great extent. I do not know the long term effect on the record or cover. The newspaper method works only for a mild musty condition. The results so far have been positive and permanent.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.