How Do You Feel About Cameos in Reboots?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I went to see the "Man From UNCLE" movie today. As far as I know, it didn't include any cameos from actors who appeared in the original series, even though both leads are still alive - and still working actors.

Anyway, I was curious to know how people felt about the subject. When you see a reboot, do you like cameos from those involved in the original project or do these not work for you?

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It's a good way for the filmmakers to acknowledge where the idea originated and a nod to the fans.

The appearance of David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser in Stiller and Wilson's Starsky and Hutch was a nice moment. When Stiller and Wilson went undercover as Wyatt and Billy from Easy Rider only us older viewers knew what was going on. My wife didn't get the joke at all.

Eric B. likes this.
  3. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I am disappointed when there aren't cameos.

4. Oatsdad

I voted that I like them, though there's a caveat there: they need to be done in a non-gratuitous/non-distracting way. They should reward fans but not call attention to themselves...

Chip Z, Keim and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It's alright, I guess. I'm kind of used to it now.

6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The cameos of some of the original Dark Shadows cast in Tim burton's remake was BS. If you weren't looking for them you would have never known they were there. They should have had them in the board meeting scene.

James McCarthy in the Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake is one of my favorites.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The cameos in A Very Brady Movie were fun.

John Buchanan likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

You mean Kevin McCarthy. James was left on the cutting room floor! :D

(Of course, the 1978 "Invasion" had another cameo, but not from an actor who appeared in the original...)

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I like to funk out with Cameo but I've never seen them make a film appearance.... ;)

I'm indifferent to generic cameos.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

According to IMDB, Larry Blackmon played "Slick Dude" in "Born in East LA". So there you go! :D

11. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Does Stan Lee really have to be in every Marvel movie?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

I have the DVD. I'll have to try to spot him. It's been a long while since I've watched it. You're just like a kink, you really got me.... :laugh:

13. Oatsdad

He's missed a few, but I agree that the cameos have gotten a bit stale. If he's gonna appear, it should be like the way Hitchcock did it later in his career: get it over early so it won't be as much of a distraction...

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I recall reading a rumor that William Shatner will have a cameo on the next Star Trek film. That could either add a layer of unnecessary cheese or be an entertaining homage or maybe both. It will be interesting to see how they use him, if it happens.

15. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I hate how cameos are all announced before hand. Shouldn't they be a surprise?

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Should be a third option for "It depends." Sometimes they work, especially in comedies (like "21 Jump Street"). Sometimes they feel forced and take you out of the moment with their wink-to-the-audience cheesiness. (Charlton Heston in Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes.")

Eric B. and Raf like this.
  17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

What he said. My vote is for "It depends" too.

Eric B. likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

Yeah, I concur....but it's the age of the internet and....

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm curious to see Bill Murray in the new Ghostbusters. I just read an interesting quote from him this morning, saying he really didn't want to do a cameo, but he likes the actresses involved & didn't want people to read into his not doing the cameo that he did not approve of the new project.

20. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

I do look at it as the new version honoring the original, and receiving the previous actor/actress blessing. I did like 21 jump street having Depp and 'the other guy', and I thought it showed class casting Burt Reynolds in the Longest Yard remake, altho he is still so much cooler than Adam Sandler that I would have preferred a proper sequel instead. "The Longest yard 2, he's STILL cool"
    :edthumbs:

jwoverho likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Faye Wray was supposed to deliver the final line in King Kong; "it was beauty that killed the beast". Woulda been a nice touch, but unfortunately she passed away before they could do it.

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When James Garner did a 'cameo' in the Maverick reboot he took over the whole film.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

No one would recognize them if they were not announced. :D

Eric B. likes this.
  24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Reynolds' effortless charisma was on display in the remake. I had to explain to my 18 year-old that he was the star of the original.

Eric B. likes this.
  25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

At one time they were a fun homage; by now it's been so played out and so expected, it's forced and silly.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.