Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

If there is another remaster of All Summer Long, I hope "Don't Back Down" sounds a lot better.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Sorry for derailing this thread, but does the DCC Endless Summer contain other remixes?

3. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

Good Vibrations has a remixed fade.
    And DCC's Spirit Of America strangely has inverted L/R in Hushabye

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    NOS300B likes this.
  4. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Are those anomalies on the original version of Endless Summer and Spirit of America? I've never heard of Steve or any mastering engineer remixing anything.

5. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

If you search the forum he talks about even asking for Brian's permission to remix and extend GV's fade. All Summer Long was remixed in every CD release because the master tape is "uncutable" or destroyed.
    Hushabye inversion though I think was a mistake in the transfer and never heard anyone talk about it

6. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Steve has definitely done some remixing in his day. I am hard pressed to come up with examples at the moment, but I am pretty sure that he remixed some Ray Charles tracks for starters.

7. Sir Cosmic

Sir Cosmic Active Member

Has Steve ever talked about this?

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Somewhere there's a thread that suggested that the most remixing he had ever done was on some Chuck Berry archival collection of rare and unreleased tracks. That music was remixed because they only existed as multi-tracks, no mix downs at all, but he was reluctant to use the same amount of compression Chess typically used back in the day, one reason why it didn't quite sound right to him later on. This was back in the mid '80s, he hasn't mixed/remixed much at all since then, and anything else he's remixed in the last 20 years seem to be pretty simple, straightforward stuff, mostly to substitute unusable masters.

"Good Vibrations" wasn't remixed at all, he just left the fader up longer to get more of that music at the end.

Truth be told, I don't listen to Endless Summer anymore because I prefer the mono (single) mixes, and that album has always favored stereo when possible in all its incarnations. The DCC version is the best for the mastering and because it uses the single versions instead of the inferior LP versions of "Help Me Rhonda" and "Be True to Your School" (and the single versions are mono while the LP versions previously used were the vintage stereo mixes), but it's still mostly the original stereo mixes.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nat King Cole for Acoustic Sounds.

vonwegen and NOS300B like this.
  10. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

No
    I've listened to it and you're right. It was a misconception on my part. This was one of the first things I've read in this forum so probably I thought at the time master tape meant multi-track tape

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

And where do you think Steve got the longer fade from? Because it sure wasn't from the single master.

triple likes this.
  12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Why not ask him?

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Go ahead. :) All I can tell you is that the single master does not include the longer fade that is found on the Endless Summer CD. Everything else is up to you.

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Steve Hoffman, is this correct? I presumed that the single master actually kept going until a cold finish (i.e. mastering instructions left with the tape would say when to fade out) but Andreas says this is not the case.

15. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Here is my question for Steve Hoffman: did you remix "All Summer Long" for the DCC Endless Summer?

16. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

I don't recommend buying All Summer Long. The mono sounds worse than DCC/Pastmasters and the stereo, instead of including the "I Get Around"(with the single track lead) and "All Summer Long" remixes, includes the duophonics.
    For now on I don't believe any care was put into these releases

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  17. Pants Party

I assume you're referring to the hi-res downloads? I did grab the ones that weren't slated for Analogue Productions release...

Christmas Album (mono/stereo)
    Concert
    Wild Honey
    Friends
    Live In London
    20/20

All in 24/192. I listened to Live In London and compared it to my 2001 twofer -- no contest. Much better. Much, much better. Kevin Gray good? No... but soooooo much better than both the 1990 and 2001 twofers that I had. Rich full, not harsh. Switching from the Hi-res to the 2001 remaster was ear-bleeding obvious. Very happy.

I listened to a bit of Friends too. I didn't do any direct comparisons, but as I was listening I was catching so many details. And that bass harmonica! So detailed and just plain awesome.

PBo and supermd like this.
  18. Pants Party

I'm sure he just chose to not fade it out so quick. Same with Good Vibes. No way was he remixing Beach Boys. Especially those tracks. Good Vibes and All Summer Long (as well as I Get Around) are known to be lost and can't be remixed.

19. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

No. "Good Vibrations" final multi-track is lost, but the 1st generation instrumental tapes all exist. The full backing track was remixed in stereo in 2006, so, as the fade doesn't have vocals, Stevie could have used these tapes to remix it. His version though sounds identical, so I don't believe he did it anymore. This fade thing he did in every track from AF Pet Sounds without using any multi.
    The "All Summer Long" lost tape is the mono single master. The multi-track master exists and Mark Linnet remixed it in stereo in 2007.
    "I Get Around" 1st generation instrumental tapes exist and were synced last year with the single-tracked vocal present at the Concert multi-track. creating the first stereo mix.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Where was this released? I was not aware of such a thing. They gave us the single-tracked vocals isolated as part of Keep An Eye On Summer 1964 comp, but they did not do a full remix.

21. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

you're correct. I'll have to begin to check every false memory I have. But syncing that would be very easy, and I bet Mark Linnet already did it. Nobody cared about "you still believe in me" or "she knows me too well" single-tracked leads until Linnet ruined them with fly-ins. A lot of remixes were also done with full vocal arrangement mono-centered between the panned instruments.
    They could have used even that digital extraction from the 2012 remasters that wouldn't be as offensive.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Steve has remixed All Summer Long for the DCC Endless Summer.

23. Pants Party

Wow! Thanks, I didn't know that.

24. Pants Party

Yes, I did know that the Good Vibes multitracks (or a lot of them) exist -- there's been all sorts of great releases of that amazing material. A whole disc on the SMiLE box!

But the full song and all its parts (vocals I think) are locked in on some of the tracks or something. So a full-blown remix (or stereo mix) isn't possible.

25. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Wasn't the whole idea behind the AP issues was to give us the original albums using the original masters? As All Summer Long was issued in stereo in 1964, I think that getting the two Duophonic tracks follows that logic. I was not under the impression that these were a redo of the 2012 releases. Shoot, even the Japanese Pastmasters had the Duophonic tracks. As for Linett, the Pet Sounds and Today albums were never originally released in stereo, so they have bit more latitude in how they compile those stereo tracks.