POLL: Which Beatles Butcher Cover Do You Have?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by souljacker8888, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

What is meant by "State"? Is that its designated condition?

2. I have a fake, pressed on red vinyl. The cover looks nice and since 1st and 3rd state butcher covers are way too expensive for my budget, for me this is as good as it gets.

3. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I have two 3rd state versions and both in poor condition. Still, there they are. :)

levi and papatwo like this.
  4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Explained on the first page of thread

Brother Maynard likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't even have a jpg. I can look at it anytime I want on the web or in print.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A second state that I found in a Goodwill store. Only thing is, an inch or two of the top right corner looks like it has been chewed by the previous owners dog.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  7. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

I have a first state stereo I bought for $200 around 1980. Earlier this year I almost pulled the trigger on a second state mono but at $1200 thought it too pricey.

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

What did you get for it?

9. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

Don't have one, don't need one, don't want one! . [​IMG]

10. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

I've had countless 2nd and 3rd states. One 1st state mono and one 1st state stereo.

I have none now.

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Don't have one (except the CD), but I'd get a second state if I could find one at a decent price. I don't care for the butcher photo, so I'd actually prefer second state & wouldn't peel it. I don't think I've ever seen a second state for sale.

12. Craig Richard

Craig Richard Active Member

I love this!! I have 1st state, 2nd I'm shrink, 3rd state stereo. I put a video up if anyone would like to see..

Thanks.:)

GV1967 and broshfab4 like this.
  13. TheFlesh

TheFlesh I eat fried foods.

I actually have two...both original...one 2nd state Mono (LA Plant) in not the best of shape and one very nicely peeled 3rd State Stereo (Jacksonvilled Plant). I have them framed nicely side by side with a copy of the recall letter. My prized possessions! (as you can probably tell by my avatar)

14. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I have one 2nd state mono with a small split in the bottom seam. A reproduction front cover slick from the 1979 Beatlefest, and a small box bootleg CD set from the 1990s.

15. TheFlesh

TheFlesh I eat fried foods.

WOW! Now that's a good collection of Butchers! I still dream of owning a 1st State...

Craig Richard likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I use to own a first state mono...

17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Have a 3rd state mono without any tears, blemishes, or glue residue. It is so darn perfect I thought I had a first state. Only the size of the jacket betrays it as a third state. Bought off the original owner in 1987 and he must have peeled it on the day he bought it in 1966.

Also have this.

[​IMG]

Gary likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Something that is of less than no interest to me

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Never had one, but was one phone call away to having my choice of the lot(depending how deep my pockets were). Closest I got - the inner cover for Rarities. Lost the damn thing in Katrina.

I remember going to a Beatlefest in Rosemont IL 1991. They had one guy, his WHOLE display was butchers. Had them catalogued by pressing plant, stereo/mono and "states"(1st, 2nd.......) Blew me away. And back then, they were going for BIG $$$. Never saw so many butcher albums in one spot.

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Third state- I found it in a pile of garbage at the radio station I worked at in the early 80s. Peeled it myself using a combination of scotch tape, gin (!) and pencil eraser- only made one tiny mistake near John's finger. The seams are pretty split but hey it was basically a free butcher cover.

xilef regnu and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have one of those 7"-ers as well.

Gary and MerseyBeatle like this.
  22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I once google imaged a butcher cover.
    $75 disappeared straight out of my wallet.

23. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Third state stereo that obviously bears some surgery scars:

[​IMG]

I had never seen one in person, let alone held or thought about buying one until only very recently. But the price was reasonable, and it's such a cool piece of rock and roll history, there was no way I could pass.
    Many thanks to @Tuna82 for giving me the heads-up on a holy relic ... if not quite The Grail. :cheers: :tiphat:

xilef regnu and Tuna82 like this.
  24. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I would like to own one, ANY one, even if it's just for a little while. I KNOW I could re-sell it if I wanted to. Maybe one day, I'll work up the nerve and break out the credit card.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Dont have one, but I can appreciate it for being classic and collectable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.