Warriors.....Come Out To Playaaaay

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gretsch6136, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just did a search for threads about this movie but nothing came up.

I picked up the Directors Cut Bluray of this seminal film last week. I have long enjoyed this movie, first seeing it on VHS rental back in the mid '80s. It seemed very real to me back then as a teenager and informed my perception of what life in New York must have been like for a youth. It seemed the furtherest thing from my own existence here in Paul Hogan's "shrimp on the barbie" land of Oz.

watching the movie again was really interesting. I love the way its composed and shot, and interestingly enough the city is portrayed as all but deserted. I kept wondering, where are all the people? Was this absence of population an intentional device to pull you into the Warrior's world more tightly?

I found some of the gangs that used to be scary quite laughable these days. The Chinese gang, the Orphans, and the Marcel Marceau looking guys in the top hats didn't look intimidating at all. And the shrimp on the rollerskates? They shoulda just rolled him off the platform.

Anyway, the movie looks fantastic on Bluray, but I am in two minds about the inclusion of the cartoon segues. They don't look era appropriate to me.

I love the soundtrack too. Picked that up on vinyl about 15 years ago. Some of its songs were done by Desmond Child and Vinnie Poncia. If you're a Kiss fan you'll know those names.

If you love this movie too, please chime in.

2. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

One of my favorites,watched it a bunch in the early 80s on late nite cable.I'm waiting for a pure Blu ray version without the cartoon parts,no need in any world for that addition.

Eric B. likes this.
  3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Loved that movie.

I once read somewhere that the actor who played Luthor ad-libbed most of that scene, coming up with the taunt and the clicking of the bottles. Don't know if it is true or not.

Speaking of the gangs, the gang that dressed up like baseball players carrying baseball bats seemed badass back when the movie was first released.

GodShifter and chilinvilin like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I saw it originally without the comic style inserts, but prefer the directors cut. I think they fit the movie perfectly.

5. Fans of the movie who are interested in what '70s NYC gangs were really like should check out the documentaries Flyin' Cut Sleeves and 80 Blocks From Tiffany's, both of which are viewable in full on YouTube. The latter was directed by the guy who did The Rutles: All You Need is Cash, of all people.

Aside from some of the goofy, OTT gang costumes, the movie is apparently fairly true to the period.

6. Gretsch6136

Thanks Dudley. I will check those out for sure. The only gang who seemed at all realistic was the Turnbull AC's, but for the life of me I couldn't work out why their bus driver kept the bus going at the same pace as the warriors could run!

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Anyone who loves Kiss and The Warriors is okay in my book. :agree:

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Mine too. I love the movie and Kiss.

Juggsnelson and Gretsch6136 like this.
  9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Riffs! Can u dig it?

I think this was on the telly last night, dang I forgot to record it.

--Geoff

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I watched this on Amazon Prime a few months ago, first time I'd seen it since '82 or so. When I was a teenager, it totally skewed my view of NYC, I didn't completely understand the fantasy/mythology aspect of the story. It's a largely hilarious, entertaining movie. However, these days I can't get over the fact that the Warriors look kinda like bare-chested Hardy Boys.

I'm kinda sick of all the movies of my youth getting remakes, but this one probably could use one.

11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I just saw this on Netflix streaming a week or so ago - for the first time (believe it or not!) It was one of those movies I had wanted to see since I was a kid, but just never got around to it till now. Fun stuff!

12. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The new(er) comic book style inserts don't bother me, and they do fit the comic book feel of the film well, although I still wish they'd have made the original theatrical version available on the same disc nonetheless. This seems to be one of the few rare cases where significant changes are made to a film that I haven't seen the majority of its fans object to.

I seem to remember a PlayStation 2 game coming out at the same time as the updated film version, although I've not played it.

The only way this film could be remade is where they turn the original on its head. Something gritty, hyper violent and true to today's times.

Cann youuuuuu dig it?

chilinvilin likes this.
  13. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I've watched this silly movie more times than I can count. Dozens of times in the past 35 years. I absolutely love it.

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The whole film feels like a video game. The video game itself is a blast to play! Love the movie.

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have loved that movie since I was a kid. Of course today I view it very differently, but the way it's shot and how the music works along with the sequences still awes me. The Baseball Furies Chase is one of my favourite bits of film, when it comes the unity of music and editing.

The soundtrack gets played very regularly in my home, the instrumental tracks are especially great.

I just rewachted it a few months ago on Netflix and still enjoyed it. BTW, why does Netflix have a HD version of the original cut, while there is no Blu-ray of it. That sucks.

16. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite movies. I thought the cartoon inserts were a bad choice, and I never want to watch that version again.

17. Guess they were using one of those Hollywood buses that could only travel as fast as the plot required. :)

Anyway, something else interesting FYI: crazy as it might seem, the intergang truce that kicks off the plot of The Warriors is based on a real peace meeting held in 1971. It's featured in Flyin' Cut Sleeves, too.

DamnDirtyApe and Dreadnought like this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Real. Tough. Chick. :)

LOVE this movie.

19. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

I loved the original on many levels, but I hate the fact that people seeing The Warriors for the first time will see the 'comic book' version, and think it was Always that way. I think the ending is a classic in the original, and ruined by the comic strip idea. I also can't find the original on blu-ray, it should at least be an OPTION.

driverdrummer likes this.
  20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It makes the film look like a cheap knockoff of Fast and the Furious

Eric B. likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes, it really is about that line....

23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Not the smartest movie I've seen, but visually it is extraordinary. And I'm glad I have no idea what you guys mean by the cartoon parts. :)

24. Gretsch6136

As a 14 year old boy when I first saw the film, this frame was paused many times. I'm sure you would know why!!! :shh:

chilinvilin likes this.
  25. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Old Rusty and Pete Puma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.