Ghost B.C recording their third studio album. Their latest single Cirice can be downloaded for free

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xcqn, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

UPDATE: On further listening that 'whooshing' on the US version is actually manifesting as a quiet, but audible in quiet passages, low frequency 'thump'. I see the speaker cones (?) in my LS50s 'pulse' each revolution with it too. I've just ordered three (!) more copies of the US version from Amazon, hopefully one of them doesn't have this...

2. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile Thread Starter

So good mastering, ****ty pressing? Sure sounds like it.

3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Yep exactly. Why the f**k can't they go the extra mile and press it a quality plant?!?!?!?

To be clear, it is only noticeable in quiet passages. For example, I can hear it behind the acoustic guitar intro to He Is, which sounds magnificent by the way, even with this slight distraction.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  4. xcqn

This is why i love digital, too many problems with vinyl these days. They always find a way to screw it up. With Ghost however vinyl is the only way to go. All CD's up to this day has been in the Death Magnetic territory mastering-wise.

Need to get my hands on a good US-pressing for both Infestissumam and Meliora and i allready have 3 copies of each allready :righton:

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

The waveform on the needledrop I heard had no artifacts above 48khz so it’s possible it could be worse. I thought it sounded great so if the US version sounds better then that’s even more awesome!

6. xcqn

HDTracks has the album listed as 24/44 so i'm guessing that's the bitrate of the master. However if CB "bypassed" that mastering it is possible the quality is even higher, both in terms of resolution and dynamics.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Damn, that means I have to spring for the U.S. Vinyl too! I ordered the boxset and I'm hoping for the best.

8. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

GHOST ****ING RULE!

jeffgt14 likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I've been enjoying the hell out of the CD, and it doesn't sound half bad on my system. There is no clipping at all as some have reported. I uploaded it as MP3 for my IPod and it sounds great.

Dorian75 and jeffgt14 like this.
  10. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I too have been listening to the album non-stop. I thought I posted this, but my US copy has some slight surface noise, but nothing to complain about. I really can't get enough of this album.

11. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

So, according to Discogs, the U.S. standard edition is Chris Bellman, the Hot Topic press is MPO, and the deadwax in for for the Euro and Swedish don't specify GZ in the deadwax. The U.S. Has been confirmed by many (including myself) as correct, but I don't know where it was pressed. Do the Swedish presses have the GZ stamp? And was the Hot Topic a third mastering/cutting done at MPO? Any help confirming this would be great!

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Just to be clear, which plant is responsible for this crappy pressing?

13. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Where did you buy your U.S. Copy from?

14. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I don't know. Can I find this info on the record anywhere?

15. motionoftheocean

what's written in the deadwax?

16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

LVR-37694-01-A (-B on side b) CB
    24213.2(3)...

17. motionoftheocean

hmm...nothing else hidden in there anywhere?

18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Nope, nothing.

19. xcqn

You are probably right, at closer inspecticion my scandinavian green-vinyl looks like it could have been pressed at MPO. Doesn't say but i compared to other MPO pressed vinyl in my collection.

The tricky question is... Who did the stamper for the European/Scandinavian version? No CB in the deadwax so it IS a different mastering.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

LPs cut/pressed at MPO ussually have MPO in the deadwax.

21. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

The Scandinavian version doesnt have the usual "MPO", only this typical small GZ stamped lettering.

22. xcqn

Interesting!

EU - MPO
    Scandinavian - GZ
    US - ???

23. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Amazon

24. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

It doesn't say? Vinyl pressed at MPO has "MPO" as part of the deadwax info. (See the U.S. Hot Topic pressing info at Discogs)

25. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Indeed! It's a dilemma when the best sounding product happens to be the LP. With that in mind nine months ago I was on the verge of getting back into vinyl after a decade out of it and all stuff sold. I turned away at the last minute from the money pit upgrade thing I know I am susceptible to. Now somewhere out there the Pony Express is trotting my way with a Ghost T-shirt and vinyl and I've been browsing tables.
    :doh:

Dorian75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.