Re-visiting Slade Alive!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

One of my very favourite live albums of all time. Tailor-made for a rockin' party.

My brother brought this one home when it was released. It was an instantaneous smash hit at home. The walls were shaking at our house every day for a long time.

After hearing it last weekend, I’m totally convinced that it has stood the test of time – with honours!

A very different kind of live recording with a small audience at the Command Theatre Studio in London.

And no overdubs! Raw & ballsy.

My favourite track on it is “In Like a Shot From My Gun”.

[​IMG]

Opinions anyone.

2. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Great stuff. Noddy and the gang are the best.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The definitive Slade live album.

Darryl

melstapler likes this.
  4. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I bought it[well my mum did as i was about13 i think] when it was released. My favourite slade album. Actually i bought a really nice Slade alive T.Shirt recently, it's great.
    Quite a few people from other bands have said how they used to listen to it regularly. There was a well known southern rock band[can't recall the name] and the main guy said that before every gig they'd listen to slade alive to get them all pumped up. I was really surprized when i read this as they were southern rock. We all know cheap trick love them.
    It's the only live lp i have. I really don't like live albums apart from this one. I've bought a few over the years but got rid of them pretty soon after.

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  5. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Slade finally broke through as a singles band in the UK in 1971 in a big way. Weirdly, they had no album to go with their new-found success until Slade Alive in 1972. I bought it and liked it but I assumed it must have been released about a year earlier at the time of Get Down and Get With It.

After three non-album hit singles (Coz I Luv You, Look Wot You Dun, Take Me Bak 'Ome), they released Slayed at the end of 1972, featuring two most recent singles (Mama Weer All Crazee Now, Gudbuy T'Jane). Then two more non-album huge hit singles in 1973 (Cum On Feel the Noize, Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me).

So when compilation album Sladest was released in 1973, it seemed overdue. By that time they had eight UK hit singles, five of them #1s, six of them non-album. Plus the earlier singles, unknown to most of the kids who bought the album, were well worth having. One of the greatest greatest hits albums.

bob60, blutiga, duggan and 3 others like this.
  6. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Slade Alive! is arguably the best live album of the 1970s... as mentioned above, authentic and un-tinkered with... it takes you to the time and place.

It's only downside is that it's criminally too short.

animaux and blutiga like this.
  7. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Great album. "Darlin' Be Home Soon" is one of my favorites.

Andy Smith likes this.
  8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

The amount of times I've been taken by surprise by that 'burp' in the track - :shh: I don't think it was a regular feature of the song though, as I've heard them play it live without as well. Anyway...

Ah yes, this is a corker of a live album and a band having a load of fun - I do prefer it to hearing them in the studio because it's so raucously atmospheric.

One I recommend to anyone who might be at all interested. :righton:

bxbluesman and dbz like this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Indeed one of the best from Slade.

10. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Definitely one of the great live albums.

11. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

It's been a lot of years since I've played this. Perhaps it is time to revisit. Thanks, T-b!

Tree-bot likes this.
  12. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Saw them twice in high school, still like them. Was just showing my son some videos of them last night after the subject of Quiet Riot came up.

Haven't heard the live album in years. I'll have to pick it up.

Tree-bot likes this.
  13. omom

omom Forum Resident

Love this record!

14. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Can anybody tell me what the sleeve photo shows..

I know it sounds really dumb, but it just looks like an abstract shape, and yet, I know it must be Noddy...where's his head, leg, arms...

Be nice, I know it's really obvious, but I've looked at the photo hundreds of times and just can't click!

15. OneStepBeyond

It got me for a long time! And it's far easier to see what's going on by spreading the gatefold out - perhaps looking at a small picture such as this.

[​IMG]

The more I look at it this way, the more some things become apparent and others... not. I can see he's got a cloth cap on and I've not noticed the guitar's fretboard until now. I've been looking for an un-tampered with original image on the net, but with no success. I find looking at this straight is best; squinting and/or turning my head on an angle just makes things less distinguishable. But hold on!!! Now I see that Noddy, Dave and Don are all staring at Jimmy Lea and he's leaning backwards to the crowd (I think.) Can't see his bass though.

Weirwolfe, dbz, johnnybrum and 2 others like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

1970, Glen Leat, tages and 4 others like this.
  17. OneStepBeyond

Bit of a review...

[​IMG]

I know what album I'm going to listen to in a moment! :righton:

highway chile likes this.
  18. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing, OneStep.

Weirwolfe and OneStepBeyond like this.
  19. OneStepBeyond

My pleasure - there are some very interesting things on this record on the Web. Which is nice to see. :)

Weirwolfe likes this.
  20. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Got this for my 12th birthday, along with Alice Cooper's Killer. Haven't listened to it in years, which I am going to rectify now.

21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

The neck is visible, going down from left to right at about 45 degrees, bisecting Noddy. Appears to protrude from Jimmy's torso.

This was my second-ever album (after School's Out), and first live album. In 72, Alice and Slade were my fav bands, and after buying SO I was desperate to add a Slade album...but I didn't like the look of Play It Loud, because there were no songs I knew, and they looked like a bunch of thugs on the cover! So, even though Slade Alive didn't have any songs I knew either (I'd heard of Get Down, but hadn't heard it), I bought it...and at first, I hated it! Far too raucous for my 10 year old ears!!! Learned to love it, though.

I remember when I got home with it, I couldn't play it immediately because my mother's friend was playing some appallingly heavy, druggy record, so I had to sit through that nonsense for what seemed like an eternity. Not sure what it was - black & white cover, exploding airship...wonder whatever happened to them? :)

22. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I didn't like it much at first either, but as a twelve year old, with a grand total of 3 albums and no disposable income, I had nothing else to listen to and it grew on me. My other album was TRex The Slider. Of course once I got a paper round, money was no object.

23. OneStepBeyond

Turning the image to one side, I can see that now. :righton: Can't make the headstock out though... thinking it is/was an SG bass (Gibson EB 3.)

I was thinking earlier, about if Noddy was the singer of that other band you're referring to - like as if they'd need a 2nd guitar on stage. :shh:

Weirwolfe, johnnybrum and yarbles like this.
  24. OneStepBeyond

[​IMG]
    Now I see it! :edthumbs:

Weirwolfe and yarbles like this.
  25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

There were occasions after 75 when they could've used a 2nd guitar :cry:

FWIW, when I was working my way through that 'other band's 300 or so circulating live shows, there's one show (around 73, I think) where the singer dedicates an encore to 'the worst band in the world...Slade'. Even though the 'other band' has been my fav band since 1975, that really upset me. Another reason to hate Plant, as if there weren't enough reasons already :realmad:

OneStepBeyond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.