"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Lots of pics of the theatre down through the years in another thread (started by someone named Justin Sosa, no less), starting here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...inal-ed-sullivan-theater.340597/#post-9934931

Dan C and MRamble like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see him play "himself" for a change. Haven't seen
    that since all those 'Mr. Goodwrench' commercials way back when.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I didn't think I would, but I may check it out after seeing some of the commercials.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Those are why he got the CBS job, duh! ;)

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

jupiter8, MRamble and Mr. H like this.
  6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That GQ article is fantastic. Stephen Colbert comes off realy well there.

I am looking forward to this show. I know he is a well rounded and smart guy and I think he is going to do great.

Mister Charlie and MRamble like this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'd like to see him blow up the whole formula of starting with a monologue and then interviewing guests on a couch from behind a desk. I don't know exactly what that looks like, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be Stephen. I agree with Mr. H in the previous post, the guy is so smart he's going to be a winner.

8. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I generally liked the Colbert report, think he's extremely bright, and have been looking forward to the new show, but the video in the OP seemed pretty empty and did nothing for me. I hope he's a lot better when The Late Show begins.

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I too have been underwhelmed by his videos and band leader choice. I have been worried that he's been spending too much time on podcasts of the modification of the Ed Sullivan Theatre etc. and not enough time on making the show funny. I hope I'm wrong here about the show but I know he completely screwed up on the band leader choice...

10. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Hoping for the best cause lord knows i'd like to have something to watch after 11:30. Caught him on Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars thing on Crackle the other day- recommended viewing for those interested in him.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Because?

Billy Infinity and MRamble like this.
  12. Avenging Robot

Ears.

Lightworker likes this.
  13. Avenging Robot

Just watched Rick and Morty and noticed Colbert was a guest on the show.

So let me reiterate,

Holy crap, stop d##king around and focus on your f##king show, what we have seen so far is not good. You do not have time to do these side projects when your main output is weak.

Get a Ritalin prescription and start focusing on what's important.

I will never forgive you for wimping out and hiring that band leader who sounds like a last minute entertainment choice for a retirement home.

showtaper likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

he is going to be awesome- going to a taping on the 21st!

MikaelaArsenault, MRamble and Mr. H like this.
  15. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I'm all in for this! Late night needs a face lift and I think he's gonna be the perfect surgeon!!

MRamble likes this.
  16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

He and his team are just trying to get some experience under their belts to smooth out the debut episode. How can you say his main output is weak when it hasn't even aired yet?

17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Second week guests have been announced and I am digging the shows they are putting together. It looks like Stephen and his team want to make each episode a well-rounded, truly "something for everybody" type of show. The great thing is that Stephen can pull this off because he can actually have a conversation with just about anyone. There is a great freedom there especially because fans want to see him interact with everyone.

9/14: Emily Blunt; Justice Stephen Breyer; musical performance by The Dead Weather
    9/15: Jake Gyllenhaal; musical performance by Run The Jewels with TV On The Radio
    9/16: Kevin Spacey; Carol Burnett with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of Broad City; musical performance by and interview with Willie Nelson
    9/17: Naomi Watts; United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
    9/18: Lupita Nyong’o; Sen. Bernie Sanders; interview with and performance by An American in Paris’ Christopher Wheeldon, Robert Fairchild, and Leanne Cope

Mr. H likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I wish I knew what style of socks Colbert has selected to wear on his first episode. That would tell me definitively whether or not the writing on his show will suck.

19. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

20. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Wow, the Batiste hate upthread sideswiped me! I never heard of the guy before, checked some of the video's, nothing near horrendous. Chill folks, don't know what you want from a bandleader anyways. They're there to entertain the audience between commercial breaks and accompany the musical guests from time to time. I mean, the Roots are nice and all, but you're getting intro's and outro's from commercials at the best out of them, not like they're doing a set or something.

You want bad, go check out the 8G band, HOO-fa, now that is a problem!! (of course, that whole show is too)

jupiter8 likes this.
  21. Squealy

MikaelaArsenault and MRamble like this.
  22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Seriously...what IS going on there? Fred Armisen is supposedly the bandleader yet is almost never there--he's usually away shooting Portlandia. Whenever he is on--it's usually fun since he and Seth continue their "Fred lying" bit. The band is pretty bland without a leader. Seth really doesn't seem to care that much about them...only giving them a quick "hello" at the top of the show and then quickly moving on. Wish he'd finally just drop Armisen and hire someone new to lead who can be there every night. At the moment, the band doesn't have much of an identity on the show.

23. Squealy

It never seemed like a good idea to me -- I assumed Armisen would quickly realize it wasn't something he wanted to be tied down to and bail on it. I think it was probably mainly a security blanket thing for Seth in the first year, having someone else from SNL there.

jupiter8 and MRamble like this.
  24. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Like you're reading my mind there! Seriously, where do you go for a good bandleader, it should at least be someone who has a working musical history to them, yes?!?!

Almost wonder if it should be a poll, who was the best late night bandleader ever?

Doc Severinsen
    Paul Shaffer
    Max Weinberg
    Brandon Marsalis
    Kevin Eubanks
    Rickey Minor
    Questlove/Roots
    Jimmy Vivino
    Cleto & the Cletones
    8G band
    Reggie Watts

...is that about the extent of it for the past 30 years or so?!?!? Talk about a small club! My faves would be the top two because they could spar off the cuff at a moments notice with the host & hold their own.

MikaelaArsenault and MRamble like this.
  25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Indeed a small list! For me, I'd probably have to go with Paul Shaffer and Max Weinberg/Jimmy Vivino. Paul was a great character for Dave to play off and he definitely had the musical chops which I always appreciated--but so did Max and Jimmy. Those two may not have brought the comedy (ok Max did a little) but they sure did bring the musical chops. Conan's "Late Night" band was a pretty tight group. Classic sound but very fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.