Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I also like small technological objects that do things, especially music players and recorders of any format.

Check here, maybe you can find what you want...

http://www.walkmancable.com/

2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

honestly is the first time I see this, they are beautiful. I congratulate you, good collectible piece

3. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

They don't make the optical cables anymore? I don't remember selling that cable when I got rid of my minidisc player. I may still have it.

4. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

If you find it I'd love to buy it from you.

5. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Sure, I'll see if I can find it. Don't hold your breath, though. I sold my MD recorder 8 years ago, and I think I packed the optical cable in a box somewhere.

6. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

7. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

You mean the cable that plugs into the Minidisc ⅛" audio/optical jack? Some of the Sonys had an optical>USB adapter (DAC). I may have both if you need them. PM me.

8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Is it a "mini-Toslink"? Find on Amazon.

9. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

SPDIF ⅛" optical to Toslink.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  10. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Thanks for all the info. Once I realized what I was looking for, I found that I already had the cable I needed, I was just too dense to realize it till now. :cop:

PhilBiker and BuddhaBob like this.
  11. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

I was cleaning out a closet over the weekend and came across a stash of pre-recorded MD's that I forgot I had. And no, I did not buy the Michael Bolton disc. I got these discs when I was selling electronics back in-the -day.

The Tina Turner disc is still sealed! That makes it worth even mo' money, right?!

[​IMG]

12. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I still use my MDS-JB940QS and Sharp portable from time to time although U'll second using the DAC with a co-axial input on the Sony as it's very nice sounding but having been using my Fiio's more for portable usage recently not least as it does lossless, never mind 24 bit downloads.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice core Sade catalog!

BuddhaBob and Bhob like this.
  14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Check the prices on eBay. You might be surprised. These things are collector's items now.

15. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

I picked up a Sony MDS-JE530 a couple of weeks ago. £19.99 from a charity shop. :)
    Im using it as a MInidisc player and a DAC from my laptop via a Behringer UCA-202

A nice little unit.

16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I still use my home deck and a portable. I have always liked the sound of vinyl to MD more than say, vinyl to CD. I keep my eyes open for a Hi-MD portable, almost had one for 40 bucks, slipped through my fingers. It is a beloved format in this household.

Bhob, Clark V Kauffman and BuddhaBob like this.
  17. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

I have a Sony MDS JB 940 which I use mainly for copying or compiling my LPs to save wear on them and the diamond that gets dragged through their groove when I play them. I have always liked the sound of minidisc, but this deck definitely has a really top notch DAC in my opinion.

In the past I had the 920 and 520 Sonys and a string of portables from Sharp and Aiwa as well as Sony. The prettiest was a pale blue Sony with a circular yellow-tinted LCD window whose metal case got trampled by my then wife. Unfortunately it was never the same again, functionally speaking. It's probably psychological, and the nice converters help, but I've always reckoned to prefer the sound of Sony's ATRAC compression algorithm to any kind of reasonably compressed mp3.

LA2019 and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  18. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well, at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
    Samir: You know, there's nothing wrong with that name.
    Michael Bolton: There *was* nothing wrong with it... until I was about twelve years old and that no-talent a$$ clown became famous and started winning Grammys.

^I think of this scene every time I see a Michael Bolton disc. Classic!

Geoff, LA2019 and JeffMo like this.
  19. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Good Lord, I found another portable. I forgot that I even had this one!

Sony MZ-EP11 with the original box, accessories and paperwork. Even those crappy foldable headphones! The little wired remote is cool. It displays/scrolls info and lets one control the unit.

There is an accessory sheet that has some cool storage products that Sony offered back in the day. I'll scan it and upload.

I think this is the last one!?......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pscreed, JeffMo and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I need to buy a new one. Any recommendation for the best recording preamps in a minidisc player?

21. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not necessarily. A lot of prices on Ebay for pre-recorded MDs are exaggerated. I've seen the same MD albums getting listed month after month for unrealistic prices. And those who pay the high prices are usually international buyers. Of course, that increases the chance of getting scammed, since most of the time there is no way to track a package once it leaves the U.S. I sold some of those MDs in the picture, and I didn't get as much as I wanted.

22. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Here is a scan of the MD accessory sheet that was with my player. Sony had some cool storage options in the day. I like the palette case.....

[​IMG]

23. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I recently acquired another MZ-1 that has a disc stuck inside it. Any suggestions on how to get it out? Can I remove the top without having to remove half the insides? I also thought that if I can't get the disc out I could still use it by continually erasing and re-recording on it. No luck though, since it acts like it erases but when I try to record, the original music is still there.

Also, I'm very sad to report that my other MZ-1 apparently died of a heart attack recently. I only had it for about 2 weeks.

On a happier note, a R70 showed up in the mail yesterday. I recharged the battery and will give it a test run today or tomorrow.

24. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I find that my MZ-1 is very sensitive -- I found that using a slightly higher voltage power cord helped it's eject/load issues. I barely use it though.

I actually just made a MD compilation the other day on my RH10. I really like the MD format, dead as it is.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  25. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I'm also having trouble transferring some music from iTunes into my MZ-NE410. Sonic Stage won't import about half of the music. I have it set up (I think) to receive pretty much all types of files, yet it seems to be very picky about what it will accept. Any hints?