Eames Chair - any good copies out there?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhilBiker, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666 Thread Starter

2. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Rove concepts

basie-fan, woody and PhilBiker like this.
  3. mojomojo

mojomojo Active Member

That looks like a well copied knockoff.
    The ones from the 80s rarely bothered to get the legs right.Most werent even leather.
    A bad vintaqe copy could cost almost that much in a vintage store.

4. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I have ordered a couple over the last few years. The "bad" knock offs don't get the chair width correct ( they make them too wide-same width as the ottoman) and the arm rest connection to the wood frame is very flimsy. I had to throw one away because it arrived with 2 broken arm rests. The better ones seem very similar to the authentic product.

5. glide

glide Forum Resident

Rove is closest to the real deal but at the prices they are asking for a replica it's almost better to either save for a real one or find a real one used on craigslist. IMO.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. woody

woody Forum Resident

I've got a Rove Eames' lounger knockoff and it is very nice. I have ordered a good bit from them and have not been disappointed yet.

ceynon likes this.
  7. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

At least once a year Herman Miller has a sale. During a sale I got an Eames chair from an online place for not a lot more than a copy. Before I bought it I had a good looking copy and while it looked like the real thing it wasn't very comfortable. I don't know if it was the way it was made or because of the person who had it before me.

Looking now at the prices I guess I paid a lot more for the real thing then a copy. :eek: At least I got the Palisander for the price of the walnut during the sale. :agree:

Chad

8. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Rove don't make cheap knockoffs. They are quite good.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Don't bother with an Eames repress. Severely lacking in the back support to fully resolve spatial cues and macro dynamics. I'd take a VG OG Eames any day over a digital CAD knock off.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  10. PhilBiker

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  11. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

12. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

My suggestion is to go check out the chair options in person.

The Herman Miller "official" chairs have different feeling leather and cushions (at least to me) and the build quality was much higher. I looked at a bunch of options - certainly not all! - and prefer the Herman Miller version.

somnar, ether-bored and McLover like this.
  13. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

I've only used the original version. Watch out for the headrest. May not be audiophile approved.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Dual

Dual Forum Resident

In all seriousness I would avoid a chair that reflects so much from right behind the listener's head. I own a Herman Miller Eames, fwiw.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

16. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Maybe consider an LCW instead? It takes care of the "reflections from behind the listeners head" problem, is nearly as comfortable, looks just as good, and has a much smaller footprint.

I use an LCW as my primary listening chair, and it's super comfortable even for longer listening sessions.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I'm playing the waiting game on mine. Friend of the family is moving in the near future to a much small place. Said I can have her original Eames for free when she moves. Sweet!

18. attym

attym Forum Resident

19. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I wonder if that's the one I used to have. It was too uncomfortable to sit in for very long. My Herman Miller Eames on the other hand is very nice for extended periods of time. I've even fallen asleep in it.

Chad

20. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

I lusted after these for a several years, waited on the sale and saved up for the real deal. Start a dialogue with a dealer and they may give you some discount on top of the sale price.

How tall are you? I am only 5'8", but my ears are clearly above the top of the seat.

I don't think I have ever sat in a LCW, but I do have DCMs and they are nowhere on the same planet as comfy as a lounge chair. The LCW is gorgeous though. It would certainly be good enough to listen to a side of an LP at a time.

21. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

LCWs are a LOT more comfortable than DCMs. You're right that they're a bit less comfortable than the lounge chairs, but they're still shockingly comfortable even for several hours at a time.

22. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

I'd like to have one to find out!

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Whatever you do, make sure to get the matching speakers ;)
    [​IMG]

24. PhilBiker

Wow I didn't even know this chair existed. I am now seriously fascinated! I don't think an Eames would fit in the location I have in mind but this sure would. I want to try one out! Is yours upholstered or simply wood?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  25. PhilBiker

I already have speakers in this room. A pair of Mirage 290iS with a pair of 90iS for rears (Quadraphonic setup). For stereo listening on the LCW I'd only use the fronts. They're typical MDF covered with black oak vinyl veneer. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.