Raspberry pi + IQaudio DAC and amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by goldenbreast, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

I created a thread about a month ago looking for advice on a cheap setup for my (small) flat. I was perhaps a bit vague and incoherent then but all the same I received some great feedback from members. To cut a long story short, I spend about 90% of my time living and working abroad per year and really miss not having access to my stereo - I currently use my ipod/laptop/android smartphone to play mp3/flac files through some pretty poor boston acoustics speakers that I got with my first computer about 15 years ago - a real no-frills listening experience!

I've discovered that the Raspberry pi can be used as an amp and DAC - specifically with IQaudio products and/or hifiberry - The main appeal is it's size, price and ability to playback HD audio. I'm trying to get my head around the setup and what is required to get it up and running - There are loads of technical explanations I've read on various sites/forums but I don't have any techinical knowledge and as a consequence I'm unable to fully understand the functions and what is required.

From what I've pieced together I figure I could have a portable amp and dac made using the following components and would just require some speakers:

Raspberry pi
    IQaudio Pi-DigiAMP+
    - offering full HD 2x20w stereo output
    IQaudio Pi-DAC+ - not so sure that this would be necessary but I understand it has a headphone amp which would be an added benefit. I currently own some AKG 451 headphones.
    Pi-Case+
    SD card -
    to install Pi software (?)
    Passive speakers - £100 tops.
    cables

Am I thinking along the right lines (with the above components?). My next big hurdle is working out what I need to control it and where the music comes from/is stored (PC hard drive? usb? sd card? external hd?). I have read about various programs that can be installed on the Pi and that can then be controlled using an application on a smartphone/tablet/PC such as Rune audio.

So once the Raspberry pi has been built with the components and correct software installed would I be ready to go once hooked up to some speakers?

In conclusion, it seems that I could have a great setup for around £150-200 all in. I appreciate that I've a bunch of questions but would be grateful if someone could take the time to give me some advice on this matter. I will have 3-4 weeks back in the UK over the christmas period and it sounds like a great project to keep me busy then!

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You're on the right track. You definitely need to decide where you're going to store the music. I'm not sure you want to run LMS on the Pi itself, unless you're going to get the latest/newest Pi (more compute power). Here's some instructions I came across: http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/w...d-alone-squeezebox-server-and-player-for-bbq/

I'm not sure I understand how you want to fit that RuneAudio in? Assuming you get LMS running on an existing PC (or dedicated Pi hardware), you can use a variety of inexpensive Android/iOS table or phone apps to control the music playback.

3. goldenbreast

Thanks for your swift response! Regarding runeaudio, I might just be confused. Could I just operate it from my tablet/smartphone with the right software?

I think an external HD would be the most convenient option for storing my music - again focussing on portability and size.

If I go ahead with this project then my plan would be to buy the latest pi - the Pi 2 model b right?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct, just a few bucks for an Android or iOS app such as Squeezepad or iPeng. I use them both.

Yes, assuming you want to run LMS off a secondary Pi. I suppose there could be an option to run LMS and have the player software running on the same hardware, but that is beyond my level of knowledge.

That's the one!

krisbee likes this.
  5. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Might want to check out Volumio - it came from the same roots as RuneAudio but it might be more mature (they may trade off between which of them is the more functional at any given time since they are both, as far as I know, in active development).

6. goldenbreast

7. goldenbreast

Now this has got me confused! what is LMS? and a secondary Pi for what? In essence, I'd like to know what the simplest storage system would be for playback.
    to know what the simplest source to use for storage.

8. jimbutsu

You would install it on your RPi and run it as a standalone, headless music player. You can connect to it and control it via any web-enabled device on your network. I have Volumio installed on a small Linux device like a Raspberry Pi, and then connected to a USB drive with my lossless, uncompressed music library, then running into my USB DAC. When I want to play something, I go to the Volumio system in my browser and pick whatever it is I want to listen to. It's pretty great if it works in your system.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

LMS is Logitech Media Server, the actual music management software you can use to distribute music to one or more pieces of hardware or PIs.

10. goldenbreast

Thanks for the info chaps, I have much to learn before I take the plunge!

11. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Logitech Media Server is part of the Squeezebox 'ecosystem'. I have a Raspberry Pi running the piCorePlayer software connected to my network via Ethernet. It functions as a Squeezebox player, streaming music files on my computer. (Or more precisely, on an external hard drive connected to the computer).

I have a HiFi Berry Digi+ connected to the Pi, outputting a digital signal to my DAC.

I opted for the Pi with piCorePlayer since I already had a couple of other Squeezebox players on my network. If you're starting from scratch, Volumio or Rune Audio might make more sense, since I think they'd be less complicated solutions.

goldenbreast, jimbutsu and SamS like this.
  12. goldenbreast

13. goldenbreast

Is there anyway to play music on the Pi straight from a usb or external HD without needing another Pi or PC?

14. pbiancardi

pbiancardi Forum Resident

Absolutely, check out Volumio, free OS for your Pi, plays from USB using PC, phone, or tablet as interface. Very slick system for cheap, Pi + Hifiberry + Volumio.

15. jimbutsu

Is there an echo in here?

16. goldenbreast

Oops, just realised you had already responded to my last question.

So just to confirm, would the following work for me?

Raspberry PI + IQaudio Pi DAC+ and Pi-digiAMP+ + USB/external HD (with audio files) + Volumio (controlled from android phone and/or tablet)

17. jimbutsu

Yes, it's actually *exactly* the system I'm intending on recommending to my brother, who wants something similar to mine, but on a less grand scale. But I think all you need is the Rpi plus the digi-AMP+, which I believe has the DAC built in. So you might require even less kit than you thought.

18. goldenbreast

Many thanks for your reply. The DAC+ appeals to me as it has a headphone amp (but is not essential). I have no idea if it would significantly improve my listening experience using my AKG k451 heaphones (yes/no?). I would probably go for the Qacoustic 2020i speakers or something in that price range (Can be bought for around £100). All I'd need after that would be the speaker cables, power supply and ethernet cable to plug the Pi into my modem (right?). Sorry for being so repetitive - I just want to be 100% certain that I know what I'm buying!

jimbutsu likes this.
  19. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

You guys are killin' me! Where would put it? Why do I need it? Yet ... yet ... this project is CALLING MY NAME!!! STOP ME NOW!!

20. jimbutsu

Interesting point - I hadn't considered the DAC having the headphone amp, as I don't use headphones on my system. Can't speak to how that would go, but if you think you'll use headphones, I say go for it!
    Does the newer Pi have wireless built in? Would make for a nice clean solution...
    I'd also look at some of the cases that are out there, those things are pretty fidgety when they're just naked boards.

This shouldn't be an issue, as the systems are so small that "where would I put it" won't even come into play. If you're honestly asking "why do I need it" then it's probably time to bag it and find a hobby that's more conducive to rational thought than this one.

Charles Buxton likes this.
  21. goldenbreast

IQaudio do a case for their gear (but it states that they are suitable for the Pi and the DAC+ OR AMP+). I'm not sure whether it would be able to house all three:

[​IMG]

22. goldenbreast

23. jimbutsu

I would ping them directly and see what the story is with that case - could be the answer to all your problems.

24. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

There's a very nice user's guide that discusses the amp(s), dac, and case situation here:
    www.iqaudio.com/downloads/IQaudIO.pdf

My reading through it last night was that it is an "either/or" situation. IQaudio Pi-DigiAMP+ or IQaudio Pi-DAC+ and Pi-Amp, plus, of course a Raspberry Pi.

Of course, I could be wrong. Please check me on this.

Question, concerning posts #7 & #8, when you're referring to it as a "headless" music player. How are you connecting to it? Does the latest Raspberry feature WiFi?

25. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

It does if you plug a WiFi dongle into one of the USB ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.