Fear The Walking Dead - amc Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 30, 2015.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

True. I love the Walking Dead but this one just hasn't grabbed me :)

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

totally understandable, but we really enjoyed the 2 eps so far...I see it delivering the goods...I really like the 2 lead characters...they seem more real "life" than the stars of the WD...which are truly are comic book characters IMO...and there has been quite a few annoying characters on that show...and some great ones as well. we will watch the WD till the end...love both. AND I'm quite happy with that...at first I thought FTWD was going to be a waste of time...NOPE! my wife is a rabid fan!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It's so hard to find decent TV shows so I'm glad you're enjoying the show.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

thanks...so are we... good ones they are far and few...

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Let's see, three black males with speaking parts, and they are the first three to die! Are they doing this on purpose as a racist joke? It really is sadly wrong if they are, and if they aren't they are truly clueless! Both my teenagers have noticed this trend in both series and it bothers them. My daughter made the sad joke that if you are black and want to live, don't get to close to walkers in the fantasy world or police in the real one. Black lives should matter even on TV.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  6. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

So stupid. Watching dead people come to life and shuffling about while trying to eat alive humans, of course prompts all kinds of "OMG what is happening !!!! What are these things !!!! What should we call them !!!! " Why not just call them "zombies" like EVERYONE would in the first 2 secs.

And of course we are driving about a lot and doing VERY important tasks in light of the impending ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, but surely we don't see it fit to at least GET A ****IN WEAPON !!! Or STOCK UP ON LOADS OF WEAPONS AND AMMO !!!

The characters from the original Walking Dead are so much better than those yahoos.

7. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Because it's a convention of the genre to not refer to them as zombies. See Romero's films.

8. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I understand why Romero didn't, he practically invented it in his movies, although I don't know if that term was coined with the (later ?) italian movie "zombi" , but nowadays with the term "zombies" being a cultural icon, I can't really see the point, why series or movies set in the modern times don't reflect that reality.

9. Pretty good show start IMO. I like the way they took the opposite approach of TWD and ease into the apocalypse rather than just start with it (reminds me of The Stand). I find it amusing that fans of TWD would have any issues with the writing in this show -or the pacing for that matter, considering some of the painful stretches we endured with TWD. And annoying characters? Let's all look back on Rick's wife and son for some classic annoying characters.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Was it any surprise that the principal turned and had to be killed? I was going to say something about foreshadowing, but this was more like telegraphing.

11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

TWD starts and ends each season with a bang. Then there are a mix of filler/build up episodes and impact episodes.
    FTWD started with a thud followed by crickets.

The 2nd episode is saved on my DVR and the 3rd is scheduled to record but I'm still waiting to see anything here that sounds like they might be worth watching or deleting.

kouzie likes this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Kim Dickens is worth watching.

carlygtr56 and Ed Hughes like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Good episode. I'm definitely in for all six - but I probably would have been anyway unless it was totally awful.

14. Loved the second episode. Don't understand why some folks seem so impatient. This is the beginning of the epidemic. I love the setups.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  15. Well TWD started after Zombies were everywhere. This is the beginning of the story!!??

Michael likes this.
  16. Still trying to understand the need for the slow-motion shots of people (not zombies) walking in episode 2. Did the running time come up a bit short and they needed to stretch it out a bit?

17. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I think they are struggling to differentiate themselves from the original series. I have no idea if it will work or not. Again, NOT feeling the relationship between the boyfriend and Kim Dickens. Great chemistry between characters can really pull one into a show; in this case, it is all too obvious that I'm watching one.

The addict son looks like Depp from Benny and Joon so much that it is actually distracting...did no one else involved in the production notice(or at least no one high enough on the pole)?

Not sure if I am all in on this one. I liked this episode more than the first, but I'm going to need to see more things develop...PLUS I'm going to need to be convinced about some of these characters. I feel like I'm watching George Romero's After School Special.

Dan

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  18. I thought the second episode was better. I like the pacing and I warmed a little to the Depp lite heroin addict this time. There were a couple of stupid people doing stupid things moments, though. I thought the scenes in Reuben Blades store were an effective way to get the chaos across without spending a lot of money.

19. DreadPikathulhu

Yeah, there is definitely a Johnny Depp vibe going. I'm betting that he's going to come out of the six episodes as the main "Daryl" heart-throb character. All he needs is a unique weapon.

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

So how is it that Tobias seems to know more than everyone else?

21. DreadPikathulhu

He reads a lot of Internet chat boards.

Scope J likes this.
  22. Michael

yes and they are harder to kill! in the WD they had time to season and tenderize...

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Michael

yes me too...I want to know as much as we can before all hell breaks loose.

24. Michael

indeed...she's got something alright!

25. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

You do if you don't know they're a zombie because you don't know anything about a zombie apocalypse. Or do people in Los Angeles regularly go up to other people on the street who look sick and bash them to death with the nearest blunt object?

Rufus McDufus, Michael and Scotian like this.